#6201 Tettekete

Tettekete

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts
  • Interests:Theatre and travel

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:50 PM

I do think Elphaba (and perhaps Glinda) should be played by someone who's already played the role on stage. The Rock of Ages movie worked well enough with an unknown as the lead and huge names (Tom Cruise for example) in semi-principle roles, so why not Wicked? I doubt every musical movie from here on in is going to be just like Les Mis.

As for cutting songs, I hope not...
Seen (theatre): Once (London x 2), Wicked (Scheveningen, The Netherlands x6), Wicked (London x 22), We Will Rock You (London x3), Les Miserables (London x 1), The Phantom of the Opera (London x1), Rock of Ages (London x 1), Romeo et Juliette (Takarazuka Revue, Japan x 5), Studio54 (Takarazuka Revue, Japan, x1), For Whom The Bell Tolls (Takarazuka Revue, Japan, x1), Nova Bossa Nova/Meguriai wa Futatabi (Takarazuka Revue, Japan, x2), Nijinsky (Takarazuka Revue, Japan, x3), 9 to 5: The Musical (UK Tour, Sunderland x1), RENT in Concert (Newcastle x1), Singin' In The Rain (UK Tour, Sunderland x 1)

Seen (concerts, etc): Willemijn Verkaik "As I Am" solo concert at the AFAS Circustheater (2012), West End Eurovision 2013, Rachel Tucker at the St James Theatre studio, Scott Alan at the O2, Andrew Lippa at the St James Theatre

#6202 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1405 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:54 PM

I think the big numbers will be kept but they'll  cut songs which aren't necessary like Something Bad, Dear Old Shiz, A Sentimental Man etc

#6203 tommo2k

tommo2k

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 08:07 PM

They always add a new song so that it is eligible for an Oscar for best song.

#6204 Catqc

Catqc

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 08:11 PM

If all this is going to happen, I sort of hope they won't make a movie!! The stage show is great as it is :)

#6205 poster J

poster J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1022 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:11 PM

View PostJon, on 22 February 2013 - 07:54 PM, said:

I think the big numbers will be kept but they'll  cut songs which aren't necessary like Something Bad, Dear Old Shiz, A Sentimental Man etc

A Sentimental Man might need to stay in, but the others wouldn't really be big losses.

View Poststrallenfan, on 22 February 2013 - 07:17 PM, said:

I absolutely adore Naya but there is no way in hell she could pull off Elphaba, singing or acting. The only person from Glee who could realistically sing it is Lea. She would have been the obvious choice a few years ago when Glee was in its hay day but now now since the shows ratings have nosedived.

Samantha Barks would be my choice for the movie IF she had performed the role on stage.

No, I don't think Naya could sing it either, but I'd much rather hear her try than Lea.  I don't think either of them are capable of doing it.

And I don't see why you're ruling Sam out just because she hasn't performed the role on stage.  The movie and the stage show will be, as Les Mis has proved, entirely different beasts.  I don't see the logic behind ruling someone out just because they haven't performed it on stage.  It certainly won't be too much of an advantage to have already done it on stage.

They might not even do Wicked with live singing, so the vocal capability requirement might not end up being as high as it is onstage anyway.

#6206 MrTRobz

MrTRobz

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:38 PM

I could see them lining up Anna Kendrick for Elphaba if they are doing this within the next three years.

At the minute I am more interested in Into the Woods as a movie though I feel like if it was done right it would have every chance at being as well adapted as Les Miserablès plus I think they may go down the live singing route for it too it should be infront of cameras soon too so only time will tell.

As for the Wicked movie they will probably incorporate the book into it more and make it a tad darker I just hope they don't overdo it with CGI they should make the sets and characters as practical as possible. :)
Shows Seen

[LONDON]
Wicked
Oliver!
Wizard of Oz
Shrek

[BELFAST]
Joseph Tour
Grease Tour
Buddy Tour
Legally Blonde Tour
Hairspray Tour

[DUBLIN]
Chitty, chitty, Bang bang Tour
Hairspray Tour
Lion King Tour

To be seen

[DUBLIN]
Wicked Tour

[LONDON]
Charlie and the Chocolate factory
Matilda

#6207 harveyjnr

harveyjnr

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:25 PM

which is exactly what i said poster j.
you don't need to get defensive.
i merely pointed out she got the role as cameron mackintosh loves her, which he does, she's played his role for years now and done a brilliant job. she didn't audition like EVERYBODY either.
none of the other eponines or fanzines from the show got seen for the part of eponine as they were looking for hollywood stars. like the rest of the cast. she got seen for it as cameron put her name in for it. because he loves her!

anyway. i also meant that a lot of the cast of glee are limited with their direction but if you check out their individual youtube links to their singing out of glee, its hard to find a weak singer in there. they're all amazing.

i just feel the only time i've ever heard sam barks tackle elphaba is at one of her concerts- not strong enough. SORRY BUT NOT STRONG ENOUGH AT ALL.
And having seen her nancy she's only just starting to get to grips with that level of belting.
he voice sits naturally in quite a clean and mellow place.
again these are all just my silly opinions an i dont wanna rattle anyones tail feathers!

#6208 stevepearman

stevepearman

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:28 PM

Well, we've chosen the leads, and rewritten the script. So which one of us is directing? :)

#6209 CrunchemHall

CrunchemHall

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:46 PM

Why not giving Rachel a chance for the role in the movie ? :wub:

Louise Dearman's highlights from a recent show. Amazing quality :blink:

https://www.youtube....h?v=u3nh7kEe82Q

https://www.youtube....h?v=E4qzG95DxyM

#6210 mrtheatre123

mrtheatre123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 12:09 AM

View Poststevepearman, on 22 February 2013 - 11:28 PM, said:

Well, we've chosen the leads, and rewritten the script. So which one of us is directing? :)
This made me laugh :) :)

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users