#6211 poster J

poster J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1017 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 12:53 AM

View Postharveyjnr, on 22 February 2013 - 11:25 PM, said:

i merely pointed out she got the role as cameron mackintosh loves her, which he does, she's played his role for years now and done a brilliant job. she didn't audition like EVERYBODY either.
none of the other eponines or fanzines from the show got seen for the part of eponine as they were looking for hollywood stars. like the rest of the cast. she got seen for it as cameron put her name in for it. because he loves her!

To me it sounded like you were implying she basically got gifted the role.  She did have to audition just like everyone else who was seen for the part, that's what I meant.

#6212 KevinUK

KevinUK

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 01:42 AM

I'd love it, but a film version needs a lot of work and imagination - and I see a lot of the show being lost in translation. Something like Popular, For Good, and Wonderful will be completely changed visually - you can't have them standing still singing a duet together on film, or have one teach the other to 'toss toss' on screen.

I imagine the story of Elphaba will be told by Glinda via the Time Dragon Clock, to the Munchkins at the start asking if its true that Glinda knew her. When they do make it, I hope they go back to the book in order to recreate Oz.

They'll need to explain the animal rights issue in more depth - hopefully they'll fill in some of the blanks between 'Defying Gravity' and 'Thank Goodness', and I imagine Elphaba will return to munchkin land to watch her fathers funeral from a far, rather than turn up and be unaware. Hopefully during DF and TG we'll get a new song - perfect place for it. The film will have to include Dorothy, and the last 30 minutes needs to be padded out as it relies too heavily on the audience knowing the Wizard of Oz (for example, to explain how Dorothy ends up down the trap door!).

On a casting front, I'd like the leading ladies to be unknowns. Melena has to be Idina Menzel, and I'd like Kristin Chenoweth to drop Galinda off at Shiz. They'd be great touches. I think Helen Mirren could do Morrible justice, and I think Jim Broadbent would make a great Wizard. Fiyero could be played by Zak Efron, and Nessa by Sam Banks (if anything, to please this board!). I'd like Kerry Ellis to have a cameo too as she's done it on Broadway and West End, but I can't think of a part other than a random Shiz teacher.
If I stay awake, it must be good.

#6213 Tettekete

Tettekete

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • Interests:Theatre and travel

Posted 23 February 2013 - 02:24 AM

View PostKevinUK, on 23 February 2013 - 01:42 AM, said:

On a casting front, I'd like the leading ladies to be unknowns. Melena has to be Idina Menzel, and I'd like Kristin Chenoweth to drop Galinda off at Shiz. They'd be great touches. I think Helen Mirren could do Morrible justice, and I think Jim Broadbent would make a great Wizard. Fiyero could be played by Zak Efron, and Nessa by Sam Banks (if anything, to please this board!). I'd like Kerry Ellis to have a cameo too as she's done it on Broadway and West End, but I can't think of a part other than a random Shiz teacher.

Kerry as the Midwife, maybe? :P I like the idea of former cast members having cameos and unknowns as the two leads. I mean, I could picture Amy Adams as G(a)linda, but it'd be really nice to have real theatre performers with experience in playing those parts.
Seen (theatre): Once (London x 2), Wicked (Scheveningen, The Netherlands x6), Wicked (London x 22), We Will Rock You (London x3), Les Miserables (London x 1), The Phantom of the Opera (London x1), Rock of Ages (London x 1), Romeo et Juliette (Takarazuka Revue, Japan x 5), Studio54 (Takarazuka Revue, Japan, x1), For Whom The Bell Tolls (Takarazuka Revue, Japan, x1), Nova Bossa Nova/Meguriai wa Futatabi (Takarazuka Revue, Japan, x2), Nijinsky (Takarazuka Revue, Japan, x3), 9 to 5: The Musical (UK Tour, Sunderland x1), RENT in Concert (Newcastle x1), Singin' In The Rain (UK Tour, Sunderland x 1)

Seen (concerts, etc): Willemijn Verkaik "As I Am" solo concert at the AFAS Circustheater (2012), West End Eurovision 2013, Rachel Tucker at the St James Theatre studio, Scott Alan at the O2, Andrew Lippa at the St James Theatre

#6214 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3387 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 07:02 AM

what 'experience' do people expect from theatre performers? there arent many theatre perforners with experience of film. do you mean they can sing? a movie wont have elphaba belting wizard and i at the camera for three minutes. amd the type of acting required for film is very different, theatre is about big emotions and selling it to the balcony. many musical theatre actors cant do both well enough

#6215 dannyboyjohnson

dannyboyjohnson

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:19 AM

I can see Defying gravity being Elphaba flying over a CGI Oz...

#6216 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3387 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:55 AM

over or through the streets scaring people

#6217 KevinUK

KevinUK

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:31 AM

It'll be nice to see Elphaba on her broom, rather than wave it around I suppose. But yes, it'll be done over the emerald city I imagine, with people looking on her as someone to be feared.
If I stay awake, it must be good.

#6218 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3387 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:34 AM

i imagine fast paced camera work through the city (like in sweeney todd) following elphabas journey from castle to finish in the skies above oz.

#6219 dannyboyjohnson

dannyboyjohnson

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:36 AM

Same Titan... And i can also see "The Wizard And I" being sung through Shiz, ending with a panning shot of the entire of the Shiz castle

#6220 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3387 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:47 AM

Yep, but I also imagine Wizard and I being more whispered until maybe the final note when the camera pans away to show the whole of Shiz

I do think Defying Gravity will lose something on film, its a very theatrical effect and wouldnt surprise me if they shorten it a bit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users