#6441 Catqc

Catqc

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:52 PM

View Poststevepearman, on 19 March 2013 - 09:12 PM, said:

I think now they have overcome the void left by Rachel, in getting Louise - a known actor for the fans, they could easily take on hayley as full time Elphie. She is already building quite a fan base.
I agree. I think Hayley coming after Rachel wouldn't have been such a success, people would have been extra critical. Now I hope she gets a chance though

#6442 harveyjnr

harveyjnr

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 10:03 PM

personally speaking, i think it won't be hayley. i've a feeling it'll be a huge cast change this year with all leads changing up. they'll want to press release a fresh new cast i imagine?

#6443 isabel

isabel

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1088 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 01:17 PM

View Postharveyjnr, on 19 March 2013 - 10:03 PM, said:

personally speaking, i think it won't be hayley. i've a feeling it'll be a huge cast change this year with all leads changing up. they'll want to press release a fresh new cast i imagine?

But all the leads excluding Gina, will have only been in the show for 1 contract. I would love a totallt new cast but can't see it happening

#6444 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3361 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 01:23 PM

Louise has already been in Wicked previously though, and now she has 'done' Elphaba and become the first to play both roles it wouldnt surprise me if she doesnt do a second.  Gina has been there two years and Fiyeros (excluding Oliver) only seem to stay for one year.  Plus with recent rumours it wouldnt surprise me if Gina and/or Ben left at cast change

#6445 isabel

isabel

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1088 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 01:52 PM

View PostTitan, on 20 March 2013 - 01:23 PM, said:

Louise has already been in Wicked previously though, and now she has 'done' Elphaba and become the first to play both roles it wouldnt surprise me if she doesnt do a second.  Gina has been there two years and Fiyeros (excluding Oliver) only seem to stay for one year.  Plus with recent rumours it wouldnt surprise me if Gina and/or Ben left at cast change

Yeah that's true, will have to wait and see. As long as Hayley stays, and 2 of the leads leave i'll be happy !

#6446 daniel.

daniel.

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 02:34 AM

Saw the show this afternoon...bit of a mixed bag I'm afraid to say. First of all, Hayley was on as Elphaba...wow is all I can say! She really impressed me, and is definitely doing a darn good job of filling the incredibly large boots left by Nikki Davis-Jones. Everything with Hayley's character seemed to be spot on and I really enjoyed her portrayal. It was great too to hear some riffs and growls in the climax of Defying Gravity too, it seems she is starting to settle and get comfortable with the part and the score.

Gina - brilliant as ever. She has really made the part her own and there isn't really any criticism I can level against her. I do miss Louise in the role as she was my favourite Glinda, however Gina really is fantasic.

Ben...what a disappointment. I found his acting bland, singing weak, there was nothing special about his dancing and his accent was all over the place. Maybe he was having an off day, but today he was really poor, and it didn't help the show in the slightest.

Similarly, Louise as Madame Morrible. I'm not sure if it was due to the fact that Julie Legrande was (in my opinion) so menacingly brilliant, but today Louise just didn't do it for me at all. Yes her singing was fantastic, but I really missed the authoritativeness and sense of fear which Julie brought. Some of Louise's line delivery left much to be desired today too I felt.

Also Keith. I guess anyone is going to struggle to match up to Clive Carter's wizard, but Keith really didn't come close. I know that the wizard is supposed to be a bit of i a wacky man, but Keith's dancing was sloppy and his singing all over the place.d

Aside from these three weak links in the cast, I was impressed it must be said. Sam as Boq is simply brilliant, possibly my favourite in the role, and Katie as Nessa too.

The ensemble deserve a mention too, slick and sharp, impressive.

I don't know what happened to me at Wicked today, whether I simply caught a bad day or if in fact the cast isn't as strong as its predecessor, but for the first time in my seven visits it simply didn't give me the wow factor, which is an absolute shame! (apart from the end of Hayley's DG...goosebumps throughout!)

#6447 CaityGlinda

CaityGlinda

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 726 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 11:58 AM

I saw the show last night and was also a little bit let down. Perhaps I've finally seen it too many times, but I really didn't think the cast were up to scratch!
This was my first time seeing this particular cast, having seen the previous one very early on and enjoying them. Overall I thought the ensemble were clean and sharp so have no problems with them; the same with Sam as Boq and Katie as Nessa who were both fantastic. I was really excited to see Katie and wasn't disappointed!

Gina is on holiday I think, so we had Lucy van Gasse as Glinda. It took me a few scenes to warm to her acting, but by the end I'd say she was almost perfect in that respect. A few lines failed to get laughs but other than that, she played Glinda without being too animated and unrealistic, but with just the right amount of dizziness. Her singing, however, let her down a lot in my opinion. She sounded far too poppy rather than the beautiful soprano Glinda should be. She seemed to scoop notes and and little riffs and melismas where they didn't need to be. It surprised me looking at her biography in the programme to see she's trained in opera, so should have coped with the style of singing I prefer for Glinda perfectly well.

Now, onto Louise. I was in the minority in that I really didn't enjoy her Glinda very much as I didn't feel she was suitable for the role. I believed she'd be more suited to Elphaba so was quite excited when she was cast. She absolutely didn't disappoint in that respect; being much more suited to this role. My only gripe again, was her voice. Her lower register is beautiful, and most of her singing (including her incredible No Good Deed) was absolutely fine. I was disappointed, however, to find that she struggled on the higher notes of The Wizard and I and Defying Gravity. She cracked several times and just sounded strained if she went any higher than about a D. Perhaps she was just having an off day, but I have heard several people mention the same thing.

Ben as Fiyero was frankly awful. His singing was flat and completely weird, as he sang in an American accent while still pronouncing words in English such as "dARncing". His dancing was nothing to shout about and although his acting wasn't bad, with certain lines and jokes delivered well, I just didn't warm to him as a character at all.

Keith as the Wizard left much to be desired, but the same can be said for most of London's past Wizards! We had Melissa Jacques as Madame Morrible and she did very well with the small role. Christopher Howell was also fine as Dillamond, considering there isn't much you can do with the role.

Overall, I just felt as if there was a slight air of amateur over the whole thing and it just felt a bit flat. I think the producers have let themselves go a bit with this cast and I doubt I'll be going back for a long time.
[West End] Wicked x7 . The Phantom Of The Opera x4 . Les Miserables x4 . Oliver! x3 .The Lion King x2 . We Will Rock You x2 . Sister Act x2 . Blood Brothers x2 . Hair x2 . War Horse x2 . Love Never Dies . Jersey Boys . Avenue Q . Hairspray . The 39 Steps . Legally Blonde . Mamma Mia! . Deathtrap . The Wizard of Oz . Ghost the Musical . Billy Elliot . Singin' In The Rain . Top Hat . Sweeney Todd . Matilda . Loserville .
[Broadway]  Next to Normal . Wicked . Anything Goes . End of the Rainbow .
[UK Tour]  West Side Story (Salford) . Joseph (Sheffield) . Oklahoma! (Sheffield) . Blood Brothers (Sheffield) . Avenue Q (Sheffield) . Jekyll and Hyde (Sheffield) . Tell Me On A Sunday (Sheffield) . Journey's End (Sheffield) . The Phantom Of The Opera (Leeds) .
[Regional] Hamlet (Sheffield Crucible) . Othello (Sheffield Crucible) . Company (Sheffield Crucible) . My Fair Lady (Sheffield Crucible) . Oliver (Sheffield Crucible)

#6448 TR252

TR252

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 12:04 PM

It seems to be a mixed bag with this cast, I keep hearing excellent things and then, well, not so excellent.

When I saw Louise, I was very impressed. There were no cracks and she sang the role very well. I enjoyed her portrayal although she was a little shouty for no reason at points.

Keith I can agree with you, I'm not a fan. Christopher Howell is an excellent Wizard, I wish he played the part full time. I must admit I had no problem with Ben at all, I thought he was good although I much prefered Matt Willis out of the 4 Fiyero's I've seen.

I respect that the majority of the cast are very talented and work hard on stage but is it bad that I'm quite looking forward to cast change? I've said this before but as much as I enjoyed Louise, and I will be back to see her again, I want new blood to play Elphaba - Louise doesn't feel new but that's because she's been in the show before. She was an excellent Glinda - my favourite, actually.

#6449 isabel

isabel

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1088 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 03:30 PM

Well Louise didn't do the matinee on Wednesday, so maybe she's not 100% well. But i feel the same about Louise, have seen her twice, her opening night and a few weeks ago. Second time round she was hugely improved, but no where near on the same level as Rachel Tucker.

Go see Hayley sometime - she's def worth a visit. Ben can leave at CC please .

Hayley and Gina are great, only another 6 months to wait until CC !

#6450 daniel.

daniel.

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 04:07 PM

View Postisabel, on 22 March 2013 - 03:30 PM, said:

Hayley and Gina are great, only another 6 months to wait until CC !

Do we know when Cast Change is yet? I seem to remember somebody mentioning November 2nd...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users