7950 replies to this topic

#6611 MS1995

MS1995

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 02:24 PM

And I'm not convinced Lewis Bradley was, he played fiyero for about a month and wasn't exactly heavily marketed!
2002: Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
2004: Joseph And The Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat
2008: Mamma Mia
2009: Sound Of Music, Les Miserables, The Woman In Black
2010: Wicked
2012: Wicked, Chicago, Legally Blonde, Ghost, Wizard Of Oz, Phantom Of The Opera (UK Tour), Matilda, Sweeney Todd, Taboo (Brixton), Wicked, Wicked
2013: Lift (Soho), The Book Of Mormon, Avenue Q (Off-Broadway), Newsies (Broadway), Wicked (Broadway), Pippin (Broadway), The Lion King.
PLANNED
2013: A Chorus Line, Wicked, The Book Of Mormon, Wicked, The Book Of Mormon, Wicked, We Will Rock You (UK Tour), Wicked (UK Tour), Charlie And The Chocolate Factory, Wicked, Les Miserables, Wicked

#6612 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3373 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 02:25 PM

But the majority of hardcore Wicked fans dont help keep the show running, despite what they think, buying cheap day seats or the cheap seats in the theatre do not keep a show afloat

#6613 dannyboyjohnson

dannyboyjohnson

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 02:37 PM

Of course Louise as Elphaba was stunt casting

#6614 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3373 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 02:47 PM

no it wasnt, stunt casting is employing someone well known as a publicity stunt to drum up business who isnt really up to the job.  Louise is an unknown aprt from a few hardcore fans and is more than capable to do the job.  Good PR move but not stunt casting

#6615 Catqc

Catqc

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 03:01 PM

Titan I totally agree with your post.
Also I think Ben must have been stunt casting because he clearly isnt right for Fiyero (he looks the part but thats it) and he's more well known than some so the only reason I can think for having him would be stunt casting...

#6616 djp

djp

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 03:12 PM

View PostMS1995, on 12 April 2013 - 02:23 PM, said:

I think Louise as Elphaba was to a certain extent an attempt to not lose a chunk of the tuckmanians who go back to the show time and time again!

Indeed it was a very smart answer to the big problem-  how on earth to follow a sensational Elphaba who was immensely popular - give them someone else who is already very popular. Having said that Louise can play the role heself brilliantly and if you go right back to JestEnd she's was the one actully singing DG and  showing she could sing Elphaba's money notes.

The question is how you now follow that - if indeed anyone is going - and why should they go?  You could look for someone similar, and as good, and you have some really good, proved,  UK talent available who can do everything needed. Or, at the moment , you could try an experiment,  for either London or the Tour,  and go for people even nearer the  age of the  characters - because you have some younger  people demonstrating now they can play  similar characters to Elphaba or Glinda with similar demands (like Scaramouche  or Christine)  - plus some potentially great  Glinda's who are a bit older,  but who still look very young.  There's a long list of people I would go and see  as Elphaba - many of whom feature on posts here - and, with a bit of casting imagination, perhaps some young Glinda's who might be sensational too.

I just hope they don't go with the  current US producers trend of flying  in yet another American, when there's UK talent thats probably better, and I would rather see.

#6617 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3373 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 03:18 PM

View Postdjp, on 12 April 2013 - 03:12 PM, said:

I just hope they don't go with the  current US producers trend of flying  in yet another American, when there's UK talent thats probably better, and I would rather see.

I dont understand this comment.  Aside from Idina when it first opened no American has been shipped into the UK production, and in America obviously they are using 'yet another American'....they are in America!!

#6618 poster J

poster J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1014 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 03:49 PM

View PostTitan, on 12 April 2013 - 12:21 PM, said:

I would disagree with that. Wicked is no where near as widely known in the UK as its fans think.  The West End production has been name casting since it opened more or less

Where id be surprised if the two female leads are stunt cast, Fiyero, Morrible or the Wizard wouldnt surprise me at all.

Also stunt casting is only stunt casting if they actually arnt up to the task

The open auditions have been for ensemble

It's never stunt cast Elphaba or Glinda though, in fact the only real stunt casting has been about 3 Fiyeros in 7 years - hardly regular stunt casting.

View PostTR252, on 12 April 2013 - 12:49 PM, said:

Was Rachel stunt casted in a way? She had a lot of exposure with the Nancy show.

Edit: Actually - I think that exposure was just more of a bonus on top of her talent.

You need to be famous to be a stunt casting - Rachel certainly wasn't that famous (or famous at all) when she was cast 2 years after I'd Do Anything.

View Postdannyboyjohnson, on 12 April 2013 - 01:57 PM, said:

Id say the flollowing were all stunt casting to some extent...

Idina Menzel.........Elphaba
Miriam Margolyes.....Madame Morrible
Kerry Ellis..........Elphaba (2nd Time)
Alexia Khadime.......Elphaba (2nd Time)
Lewis Bradley........Fiyero
Rachel Tucker........Elphaba
Lee Mead.............Fiyero
Gina Beck............Glinda
Matt Willis..........Fiyero
Keith Bartlett.......The Wizard
Louise Dearman.......Elphaba
Ben Freeman..........Fiyero
Katie Rowley Jones.....Nessarose

I think you don't quite understand what stunt casting is - it requires someone to be widely known before they were cast in a particular role, as the whole point is casting to bring in big ticket sales - like Scarlett Johansson in Cat on a Hot Tin Roof on Broadway, or Daniel Radcliffe and Darren Criss in How To Succeed...  

Only Lee Mead, Matt Willis, Ben Freeman and to a certain extent Keith Bartlett were in any way known to the wider public without much/any West End theatre experience before Wicked.  But that doesn't even make all them stunt cast - Barlett doesn't even have a Wikipedia page and is only really known for The Bill, so that's a fairly narrow audience.  Lewis Bradley didn't even win his ALW series, same as Rachel, so most people wouldn't have a clue who they are.

Idina - no, she was the original Broadway lead, that's all.  She was not at all well-known over here at the time, and frankly still isn't judging by the half-empty theatre when I saw her in concert a few months ago.

Miriam - established theatre actress, so not entirely stunt casting.  

Alexia, Louise, Gina, Katie and Kerry all had theatre experience and some high profile roles, but the vast majority of people wouldn't have a clue who they were, and probably still don't.  Much of Kerry's fame comes from her association with Brian May, and that didn't really take off as a separate venture until after she left Wicked.  And as for your differentiation of the 2nd time both Alexia and Kerry played the role - being in Wicked does not give a person fame.  They're known to a very small group of (frankly scary sometimes) hardcore fans, that's all.

So I don't really agree that Wicked stunt casts much at all.  I'd say Matt Willis is the biggest bit of stunt casting they've ever done, and in my mind it doesn't work as he was by far the worst Fiyero I've seen.

#6619 harveyjnr

harveyjnr

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 04:05 PM

ive a feeling we'll be happy with the casting this year! i've a feeling that it won't be carmen, although after her i started you tubing all the broadway elpahbas after than and loved eden espinosa so much. i have a feeling it'll be sabrina aloueche. although i did hear nikki dj being mentioned too? just from the gossip at the auditions today. yes i may have been in the covetn garden area, the queue for the audition was unmistakable!

#6620 popcultureboy

popcultureboy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 04:20 PM

Aside from Idina when it first opened no American has been shipped into the UK production

Didn't they swap Kerry Ellis with the Broadway Elphaba for a bit? I can't for the life of me remember who it was from NYC at the time though.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users