7950 replies to this topic

#6621 Dubbie

Dubbie

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 04:28 PM

No. Stephanie J Block left Wicked on Broadway so Kerry was Elphaba on Broadway for 6 months. While she was gone Alexia Khadime took over.

#6622 John_Rebus

John_Rebus

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 04:31 PM

View PostTitan, on 12 April 2013 - 03:18 PM, said:

I dont understand this comment.  Aside from Idina when it first opened no American has been shipped into the UK production, and in America obviously they are using 'yet another American'....they are in America!!

I think djp refers to the Carmen Cusack rumour in the UK Tour thread
"Some People are Worth Melting For." - Olaf, Snowman

#6623 popcultureboy

popcultureboy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 04:32 PM

Oh I thought they swapped them. I'm confusing myself with Hannah Waddingham and Spamalot, maybe.

#6624 harveyjnr

harveyjnr

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 04:33 PM

didn't alexia khadime come into london wicked at that point no?

#6625 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1401 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 04:34 PM

I think Stephanie J Block was asked by the producers to fly over to cover when they had a bout of sickness but I think someone must have recovered as they called her back to tell her she wasn't needed.

#6626 MS1995

MS1995

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 04:36 PM

Stephanie had a concert in the UK at the same time as there was a serious illness problem, so she was on standby for a week, but never went on!
2002: Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
2004: Joseph And The Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat
2008: Mamma Mia
2009: Sound Of Music, Les Miserables, The Woman In Black
2010: Wicked
2012: Wicked, Chicago, Legally Blonde, Ghost, Wizard Of Oz, Phantom Of The Opera (UK Tour), Matilda, Sweeney Todd, Taboo (Brixton), Wicked, Wicked
2013: Lift (Soho), The Book Of Mormon, Avenue Q (Off-Broadway), Newsies (Broadway), Wicked (Broadway), Pippin (Broadway), The Lion King.
PLANNED
2013: A Chorus Line, Wicked, The Book Of Mormon, Wicked, The Book Of Mormon, Wicked, We Will Rock You (UK Tour), Wicked (UK Tour), Charlie And The Chocolate Factory, Wicked, Les Miserables, Wicked

#6627 isabel

isabel

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1090 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 04:41 PM

Oh gosh I don't want Nikki DJ as Elphaba - please lets get 1 hopefully 2 new fresh Elphabas

#6628 MS1995

MS1995

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 04:46 PM

I do! I never got to see her!!!
2002: Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
2004: Joseph And The Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat
2008: Mamma Mia
2009: Sound Of Music, Les Miserables, The Woman In Black
2010: Wicked
2012: Wicked, Chicago, Legally Blonde, Ghost, Wizard Of Oz, Phantom Of The Opera (UK Tour), Matilda, Sweeney Todd, Taboo (Brixton), Wicked, Wicked
2013: Lift (Soho), The Book Of Mormon, Avenue Q (Off-Broadway), Newsies (Broadway), Wicked (Broadway), Pippin (Broadway), The Lion King.
PLANNED
2013: A Chorus Line, Wicked, The Book Of Mormon, Wicked, The Book Of Mormon, Wicked, We Will Rock You (UK Tour), Wicked (UK Tour), Charlie And The Chocolate Factory, Wicked, Les Miserables, Wicked

#6629 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3383 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 05:18 PM

View Postposter J, on 12 April 2013 - 03:49 PM, said:

It's never stunt cast Elphaba or Glinda though, in fact the only real stunt casting has been about 3 Fiyeros in 7 years - hardly regular stunt casting.

You need to be famous to be a stunt casting - Rachel certainly wasn't that famous (or famous at all) when she was cast 2 years after I'd Do Anything.

I think you don't quite understand what stunt casting is - it requires someone to be widely known before they were cast in a particular role, as the whole point is casting to bring in big ticket sales - like Scarlett Johansson in Cat on a Hot Tin Roof on Broadway, or Daniel Radcliffe and Darren Criss in How To Succeed...  

Only Lee Mead, Matt Willis, Ben Freeman and to a certain extent Keith Bartlett were in any way known to the wider public without much/any West End theatre experience before Wicked.  But that doesn't even make all them stunt cast - Barlett doesn't even have a Wikipedia page and is only really known for The Bill, so that's a fairly narrow audience.  Lewis Bradley didn't even win his ALW series, same as Rachel, so most people wouldn't have a clue who they are.

Idina - no, she was the original Broadway lead, that's all.  She was not at all well-known over here at the time, and frankly still isn't judging by the half-empty theatre when I saw her in concert a few months ago.

Miriam - established theatre actress, so not entirely stunt casting.  

Alexia, Louise, Gina, Katie and Kerry all had theatre experience and some high profile roles, but the vast majority of people wouldn't have a clue who they were, and probably still don't.  Much of Kerry's fame comes from her association with Brian May, and that didn't really take off as a separate venture until after she left Wicked.  And as for your differentiation of the 2nd time both Alexia and Kerry played the role - being in Wicked does not give a person fame.  They're known to a very small group of (frankly scary sometimes) hardcore fans, that's all.

So I don't really agree that Wicked stunt casts much at all.  I'd say Matt Willis is the biggest bit of stunt casting they've ever done, and in my mind it doesn't work as he was by far the worst Fiyero I've seen.

I never said it had stunt cast the two female leads. I also said 'name' cast not stunt cast the fiyeros. You forgot adam garcia in your list, and none (excpt maybe ben) have been poor in the role hence why its not really stunt casting, but is going for a name. Theres a difference between stunt casting and going for a name that can do the role. Just because someone may not like a said name in a role doesnt make it stunt casting. Many people really liked matt (as has already been stated). As Michael BAll said recently its only a stunt of the person is unable to do the role

I would also disagree daniel radcliffe, scarlett etc are stunt cast as they are talented actors in their own right

Stunt casting is someone like caprice when she did rent, or many of the chicago casting choices

#6630 TR252

TR252

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:36 PM

I'm not going out of my way to criticise, but I just stumbled across Louise and Rachel's Jest End video - I think Louise sounds better in that than she does actually singing the real Defying Gravity. :/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users