7950 replies to this topic

#6641 isabel

isabel

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1088 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 11:18 AM

I don't think there is anything wrong with saying who we prefer in certain roles. Anyway it's the actors choice if they read this discussion board.

#6642 DSM

DSM

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 12:22 PM

I'm aware the story I'm about to refer to is over a month old now but I feel the debate over who makes a good role model makes a strong discussion.

Having previously work with Gina, I was surprised yet disappointed to discover the apparent affair with Ben Freeman. I'm not here to discuss the moral rights and wrongs of their affair but I was amazed at the amount of 'fans' still claiming that they still view such actors as 'role models'.

What disappoints me most is that most actors are completely unaware of the impact they have on young people, particularly those with aspirations to go into the industry too. Yes they love the adulation that comes from their fan base, but most actors (I know there are always the exceptions but I'm basing this on personal experience of working in the industry for over 10 years) lack the sincerity and moral grounding that are surely the qualities that you would look for in any role model.

So the question to you all is what or who makes a good role model? What qualities do you look for in a good role model? If you are only basing your opinion on their performance on stage then I would question you viewing them as a 'role model'. Yes they may inspire you based on their ability to perform but remember that perceptions are very different to reality.

There are some wonderful performers out there, many of whom you rarely see in the public eye (and that's usually for a reason!) but if you are seeking a true role model then you usually find they are closer to home than you realise.

On a final note, and this is very relevant for this site, there is one performer whom, although I have never worked with, my best mate worked closely with her for nearly 3 years and still raves about her today. This a lady, who is not only a fantastic performer, but does have the sincerity and personality that is very worthy of being a role model and that is Rachel Tucker. In fact I have many friends who have worked with her on Wicked and it is heart warming to hear so many people whom I trust, hold a performer in such high esteem. It is rare and so I conclude my debate by asking for your opinions on why you believe certain actors make role models for you.

#6643 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3361 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 01:20 PM

No body is perfect and to expect anyone to behave perfectly is ridiculous. Gina is nota celebrity, does not court attention and is not a spokesperson for anything.

Gina is an actress on rhe west end stage who, like most actors, we know little about (and no twitter and stage door does not mean you know someone). I suspect she is a role model for people because of her talent and her career. If people are looking for moral role models in actors then more fool them. Is rachel tucker married? If not having a child out of wedlock to some would be being a bad role model. You could go on and on.

Unfortunately in this day and age with twitter etc it is easier to peak behind the curtain and it does mean there is a high chance youll be disappointed with the reality of what you find

#6644 MS1995

MS1995

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 03:20 PM

Yes Rachel is married, so the only valid conclusion must therefore be that she is perfect? :P
2002: Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
2004: Joseph And The Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat
2008: Mamma Mia
2009: Sound Of Music, Les Miserables, The Woman In Black
2010: Wicked
2012: Wicked, Chicago, Legally Blonde, Ghost, Wizard Of Oz, Phantom Of The Opera (UK Tour), Matilda, Sweeney Todd, Taboo (Brixton), Wicked, Wicked
2013: Lift (Soho), The Book Of Mormon, Avenue Q (Off-Broadway), Newsies (Broadway), Wicked (Broadway), Pippin (Broadway), The Lion King.
PLANNED
2013: A Chorus Line, Wicked, The Book Of Mormon, Wicked, The Book Of Mormon, Wicked, We Will Rock You (UK Tour), Wicked (UK Tour), Charlie And The Chocolate Factory, Wicked, Les Miserables, Wicked

#6645 stevepearman

stevepearman

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 03:31 PM

Lol

#6646 Mark_21

Mark_21

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 05:56 PM

Harriet Thorpe just tweeted 'Theres no place like home' with a picture of herself as morrible! Then tweeted 'She's on her way back' and then finally tweeted 'On my way back to Oz! I couldn't be happier'...

Exciting news! Easily my favourite morrible ever! I assume its to the westend! Is she covering? Surely too early for the tour!
So far in the West End and Off-West End: Wicked, Sister Act, Priscilla, The Lion King, An Inspector Calls, La Cage Aux Folles, Legally Blonde, Waiting For Godot, Blood Brothers, Private Lives, Oliver!, Shirley Valentine, Sweet Charity, All my Sons, Hair, Mamma Mia, End of the Rainbow, Love Story, We Will Rock You, The Children's Hour, The Wizard of Oz, Ordinary Lives, Clybourne Park, Betty Blue Eyes, Thrill Me, Shrek The Musical, Kathy Griffin Live at the Palace, Luise Miller, Billy Elliot, Lend Me A Tenor, Much Ado About Nothing, Park Avenue Cat, Ghost The Musical, The Phantom of the Opera, Love Never Dies, Les Miserables, Jersey Boys, Betwixt, Rock of Ages, A Round-Heeled Woman, Crazy For You, Masterclass, Absent Friends, Sex with a Stranger, After The Turn, The Awkward Squad, All New People, Hay Fever, Soul Sister, Bird's of a Feather UK Tour, Steel Magnolias UK Tour, The Duchess of Malfi, The Sunshine Boys, Noises Off, What the Butler Saw, South Downs/The Browning Version, Sweeney Todd, Long Day's Journey into Night, War Horse, One Man, Two Guvnors, Abigail's Party, Matilda, London Road, Jumpy, Looserville The Musical, Scrooge The Musical, 9 to 5 UK Tour, My Fair Lady...

2013: 9 to 5 The Musical (UK Tour), The Rocky Horror Show (UK Tour), Kiss Me Kate, The Book of Mormon, The Bodyguard, Quartermaine's Terms (Understudy Run), The Judas Kiss, The Bodyguard, The Winslow Boy, Top Hat, The Bodyguard, Ghost The Musical (UK Tour), Singin' in the Rain, Merrily We Roll Along, The Bodyguard, A Chorus Line, Passion Play, The Audience, Passion Play, The Bodyguard, Sweet Bird of Youth, The Bodyguard, Once...

#6647 isabel

isabel

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1088 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 05:59 PM

Maybe Madame Morrible has left ( not being rude but can't remember her name, as she always seems to be off)

#6648 Mark_21

Mark_21

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 06:01 PM

Yer I follow the understudy morrible on twitter and she always seems to be on! This is exciting news!
So far in the West End and Off-West End: Wicked, Sister Act, Priscilla, The Lion King, An Inspector Calls, La Cage Aux Folles, Legally Blonde, Waiting For Godot, Blood Brothers, Private Lives, Oliver!, Shirley Valentine, Sweet Charity, All my Sons, Hair, Mamma Mia, End of the Rainbow, Love Story, We Will Rock You, The Children's Hour, The Wizard of Oz, Ordinary Lives, Clybourne Park, Betty Blue Eyes, Thrill Me, Shrek The Musical, Kathy Griffin Live at the Palace, Luise Miller, Billy Elliot, Lend Me A Tenor, Much Ado About Nothing, Park Avenue Cat, Ghost The Musical, The Phantom of the Opera, Love Never Dies, Les Miserables, Jersey Boys, Betwixt, Rock of Ages, A Round-Heeled Woman, Crazy For You, Masterclass, Absent Friends, Sex with a Stranger, After The Turn, The Awkward Squad, All New People, Hay Fever, Soul Sister, Bird's of a Feather UK Tour, Steel Magnolias UK Tour, The Duchess of Malfi, The Sunshine Boys, Noises Off, What the Butler Saw, South Downs/The Browning Version, Sweeney Todd, Long Day's Journey into Night, War Horse, One Man, Two Guvnors, Abigail's Party, Matilda, London Road, Jumpy, Looserville The Musical, Scrooge The Musical, 9 to 5 UK Tour, My Fair Lady...

2013: 9 to 5 The Musical (UK Tour), The Rocky Horror Show (UK Tour), Kiss Me Kate, The Book of Mormon, The Bodyguard, Quartermaine's Terms (Understudy Run), The Judas Kiss, The Bodyguard, The Winslow Boy, Top Hat, The Bodyguard, Ghost The Musical (UK Tour), Singin' in the Rain, Merrily We Roll Along, The Bodyguard, A Chorus Line, Passion Play, The Audience, Passion Play, The Bodyguard, Sweet Bird of Youth, The Bodyguard, Once...

#6649 isabel

isabel

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1088 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 06:06 PM

Apparently she hasn't been on since February ! Crikey hope she is ok !

#6650 Its_Emily

Its_Emily

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Interests:Dancing

Posted 14 April 2013 - 06:20 PM

Love Harriet Thorpe, never seen her do any theatre but I've seen nearly all her television work, haven't seen Wicked yet but have been wanting to for ages seems like the perfect opportunity for me to go :D
Ex - Joseph Chorus Member (UK Tour June 2005- September 2006). I have seen: Joseph, Cats, Starlight Express (x2), Grease (x2),  Ghost The Musical (x2) The Rocky Horror Show, Beauty and the Beast, Rock Of Ages (x2), We Will Rock You (x2) and a ridiculous amount of pantomimes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users