#6771 TR252

TR252

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 11:05 AM

View Postholler, on 14 May 2013 - 10:58 AM, said:

I hardly think this is true. Teal Wicks for example is streets ahead of Rachel. Or did you just mean West End Elphabas? As everyone says endlessly, favourite Elphaba is always going to subjective. And I'm sure there'll always be arguments on this thread.

When Poster J said 'No one is' I think she meant that as part of her opinion, of course - just like your opinion is that Teal Wicks is streets ahead of Rachel. Nobody is ever going to agree but I don't think of there being arguments as such in this thread but more of a discussion. :)

#6772 holler

holler

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 11:11 AM

View PostTR252, on 14 May 2013 - 11:05 AM, said:

When Poster J said 'No one is' I think she meant that as part of her opinion, of course - just like your opinion is that Teal Wicks is streets ahead of Rachel. Nobody is ever going to agree but I don't think of there being arguments as such in this thread but more of a discussion. :)

Hahaha, no - it's a fight to the death for everyone's favourite Elphie, and don't underestimate that :P

I don't even HAVE a favourite any more! It was Kerry, then Alexia, then on my only trip to Broadway I saw Teal, and now I have no idea. I'm just looking forward to the next one tbh!

#6773 TR252

TR252

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 11:19 AM

View Postholler, on 14 May 2013 - 11:11 AM, said:

Hahaha, no - it's a fight to the death for everyone's favourite Elphie, and don't underestimate that :P

I don't even HAVE a favourite any more! It was Kerry, then Alexia, then on my only trip to Broadway I saw Teal, and now I have no idea. I'm just looking forward to the next one tbh!

:P

I try not to have a favourite but I don't know what it is about Rachel Tucker's portrayal - I just really connect with it as many others seem to as well. I absolutely adore her voice, her tone, her vibrato. I admire every actress who plays the role as they're all so talented but for me personally Rachel's portrayal had a punch in it that others haven't.

I wish I could have seen Teal play Elphaba - I love her voice!

#6774 Sam4God

Sam4God

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 11:20 AM

Seeing those four Elphabas on stage together made me forget any 'comparisons' I used to make amongst them and just appreciate them each individually for what they've brought to Wicked. Out of the 4 of them, I only ever really liked Kerry's 'Elphie' and she's not even my favourite 'Elphie' (Nikki is). I'm very specific with 'my' Elphies and only two performers (Kerry and Nikki) have managed to completely convince me in that role so far. That's not to say I haven't enjoyed other portrayals, though. And the Defying Gravity quartet on Sunday reminded me of this. I wasn't Alexia's biggest fan, but hearing her sing (parts of) that song took me back to some of my favourite Wicked memories with a cast I really loved. Likewise, I never understood the 'hype' about Rachel, but I genuinely enjoyed hearing her sing again. Louise, I've only seen once (as Elphie) and I liked her but she's still very 'new' to me in the role so can't make a full judgement yet.
I definitely think there is no 'best' or 'worst' Elphie. They all bring something unique to the character and that's what makes the show so special. I've seen about 10 Elphies and only care about 2 of them, but I can see and appreciate the other Elphies for their talents too. That's why I really enjoyed that DG performance on Sunday.
WEST END: Wicked X80 | Billy Elliot X91 | Singin' In The Rain X25 | Avenue Q X16 | Legally Blonde X27 | Matilda X5 | The Lion King X5 | Sound of Music X1 | Les Miserables X5 | Joseph and The Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat X2 | We Will Rock You X4 | The 39 Steps X15 | Oliver X3 | Chicago X2 | Mamma Mia! X7 |  Hair X3 | Ghost Stories X1 | Jersey Boys X7 | Enron X1 | Blood Brothers X3 | All The Fun of the Fair X1 | Phantom of the Opera X5 | Flashdance X3 | Stomp X1 | Grease The Musical X3 | Sweet Charity X2 | The Woman In Black X2 | Priscilla X2 | Dreamboats and Petticoats X1 | The Glass Menagerie X1 | Love Never Dies X2 | Wizard of Oz X3 | Deathtrap X1 | Sister Act X5 | Love Story X2 | Ordinary Days X1 | End of the Rainbow X1 | Umbrellas of Cherbourg X3 | Flare Path X1 | Spelling Bee X1 | Shrek X7 | Thrill Me X1 | Lend Me A Tenor X2 | Ghost X3 | Betty Blue Eyes X1 | Rock of Ages X3 | Master Class X1 | One Man, Two Guv'nors X2 | Pitmen Painters X1 | Soho Cinders X2 | Spamalot x3 | Sweeney Todd X1 | Volcano X1 | Loserville X6 | Good Night Mr. Tom X1 | Scrooge X1 | Once X2 | A Chorus Line X5 | Curious Incident X2 | Beautiful Thing X1 | Merrily We Roll Along X1 | A Midsummer Night's Dream X2 | Book of Mormon X2 | From Here To Eternity X1 | Stephen Ward X1 | The Commitments X1 | I Can't Sing X2 | Dirty Rotten Scoundrels X1 | The Duck House X1

FRINGE: Smokey Joe's Cafe X1 | Tomorrow Morning X3 | Company X1 | The Kissing Dance X2 | Road Show X1 | Crazy For You X1 | The Belle's Stratagem X3 | Pippin X1 | Kissing Sid James X1 | Mack & Mabel X1 | Taboo X1 | Victor/Victoria X1 | Bully Boy X1 | Daddy Long Legs X1 | Merrily We Roll Along X1 | Lift X4 | Payback the Musical X1 | Candide X1 | The A to Z of Mrs P X1

BROADWAY: Wicked X1 | Newsies X1 | Annie X1

ON TOUR: Les Miserables (Barbican) X1 | Evita (Wimbledon) X1 | Annie (Woking) X1 | Hairspray (Woking) X1 | Avenue Q (Bromley) X2 | Avenue Q (Richmond) X2 | Avenue Q (Woking) X2 | Avenue Q (High Wycombe) X2 | Avenue Q (Southampton) X1 | Avenue Q (Milton Keynes) X1 | Avenue Q (Salford) X1 | Avenue Q (Cardiff) X1 | Avenue Q (Belfast) X1 | Avenue Q (Northampton) X2 | Jekyll & Hyde (Woking) X1 | Legally Blonde (Bristol) X2 | Legally Blonde (York) X1 | Legally Blonde (Glasgow) X1 | Legally Blonde (Edinburgh) X1 | Sister Act (Oxford) X1 | Legally Blonde (Wimbledon) X1 | Rent 20th Anniversary Concert X5 | West Side Story X1 | Wicked X10 | Seven Brides for Seven Brothers X1 | Fiddler on the Roof X1 | Fame X1 | Tonight's The Night X1

CHICHESTER: She Loves Me X3

OPEN AIR THEATRE: Crazy For You X1, Sound of Music X1

NATIONAL THEATRE: Welcome To Thebes X1 | London Road X1 | Curious Incident X1 | The Light Princess X1

OTHER: Vampirette (Manchester) X2, Loserville (Leeds) X1

#6775 strallenfan

strallenfan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 11:21 AM

I've also seen Teal and although Alexia is my favourite, Teal and Katie Rose Clarke were just on another level. But then I thought the whole Broadway show was far superior to London. It just all felt effortless.

There are always going to be comparisons I just absolutely HATE that other people feel the need to bring the other Elphabas down to make their favourite look better. They were all cast for a reason and although we may not agree with the reasons, we all should recognise how talented they are.

#6776 poster J

poster J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1014 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 11:37 AM

View Postholler, on 14 May 2013 - 10:58 AM, said:

I hardly think this is true. Teal Wicks for example is streets ahead of Rachel. Or did you just mean West End Elphabas? As everyone says endlessly, favourite Elphaba is always going to subjective. And I'm sure there'll always be arguments on this thread.

I would have thought the numerous references in my post to 'my opinion' made it clear I was talking subjectively...

In fact, the phrase 'in my opinion' came just before the phrase you picked on.  It doesn't matter whether I meant West End Elphabas or not, it was my opinion that Rachel Tucker is the best ever to play Elphaba, as she's my favourite.  Of course it's subjective, my entire post was subjective, and it's not false or true - it's just my opinion.

Anyway, I've actually seen Teal Wicks play Elphaba (in San Francisco August 2009) and she was my least favourite of all the Elphabas I've seen, so I'd disagree entirely that she's streets ahead of Rachel.  That's just your opinion, it's certainly not fact (although I appreciate this is one of two minority views I hold when it comes to Wicked, the other being that I don't like Gina Beck's Glinda).

#6777 holler

holler

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 11:41 AM

Good posts, strallenfan and Sam4God. Very considered and diplomatic.

Part of the fun, I do admit, is comparing and contrasting different performances, but it's helpful to be specific and objective about your observations - and remember as much as, for example, I find Rachel grating, lacking a connection and unemotional, others have the opposite experience. Huge sweeping statements aren't really conducive for a fun discussion, but explaining why you like someone can be. Of course, other than by saying 'Nobody else compares. She is the best' - as this doesn't tell anybody anything about their performance. A critique - rather than criticism - is interesting to read as well.

Personally, I'd love someone completely different for both the tour and the new London Elphaba. I was really disappointed by Louise's casting as it wasn't anybody 'new'. I want to be surprised, and excited, and I think it would help, after so many years, the show to remain fresh.

#6778 StevieNight

StevieNight

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 11:53 AM

I really enjoyed Louise as Elphaba!  Just booked to see her play the role again in a few weeks time :)  Excited!

#6779 poster J

poster J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1014 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 01:54 PM

View Postholler, on 14 May 2013 - 11:41 AM, said:

Huge sweeping statements aren't really conducive for a fun discussion, but explaining why you like someone can be. Of course, other than by saying 'Nobody else compares. She is the best' - as this doesn't tell anybody anything about their performance. A critique - rather than criticism - is interesting to read as well.

I've given huge detailed reasons about why I like Rachel's Elphaba numerous times, and in fact gave such reasons (albeit briefly) in the very post that's being criticised.  I don't see the problem with saying that in my opinion no-one else compares and Rachel is the best, because that's my opinion.  And it's my opinion regardless of what I do or don't tell everyone about the performances I saw her give.  Sometimes there isn't time, or even cause, for a long, detailed post about the characteristics of a particular person's Elphaba.  I generally only do that when I'm reviewing the show after I've seen it, and I haven't seen it for months now.  Doesn't mean my opinion on my own personal favourite Elphaba is any less valid.  After all, I'm not trying to persuade anyone to agree with me, so there's no real need to give a persuasive argument.  People won't be persuaded to change their mind about their own favourite Elphaba just as I won't change my own mind.  It does seem to be a bit of pedantry over wording at the minute - a harmless turn of phrase seized upon.  But again, that's obviously just my opinion.

#6780 KevinUK

KevinUK

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 869 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 08:16 PM

Personally, Rachel was my favourite Elphaba because she played the part a lot more aggressively than others have. As a huge fan of the books I felt Rachel had more in common with that Elphaba, and has successfully managed to move away from the original incarnation. Elphaba is an angry person and it really showed with Rachel,

On a singing front, they all can sing. But I judge them all by how well they sing Defying Gravity and Rachel not only consistently hit the big notes, she equalled and quite often out sung Idina's studio version (ie, the original version) and made me believe it every single word  every single time.

So, yes, my favourite is Rachel because ultimately she brought something new to the role with outstanding vocals.
If I stay awake, it must be good.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users