#6881 strallenfan

strallenfan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 08:43 AM

View PostMS1995, on 30 May 2013 - 08:08 AM, said:

Although I think Gina is good and the ensemble is alright at the moment, I saw the broadway production last month and it was superior in every way! I was really impressed by the dancing in the show, and wicked doesn't really have all that much dancing! The orchestra sounded incredible (the us orchestra is very drum heavy at the moment, which I really like the sound of). The two leads were the best Elphie and Glinda I have seen, the wizard shamed anyone we have had in London! And the Fiyero was the understudy and he was much better than any of the 3 London fiyeros I have seen! So although I don't feel that the London production is weak, I was reminded of how good this show can be, so I think they should do a complete overhaul soon, to avoid any people getting bored of their role and the energy stays high!

THIS. I saw the Broadway production in 2011 and then went to the London show a few weeks later and our production always seems sloppy in comparison.

#6882 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3357 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 08:56 AM

With regards to Fiyero, I think there is a certain look that the role requires (along with talent) that I think is very american (the clean cut, athletic, preppy pretty boy) and is not easily found among guys in the UK.  What I really liked about Matt Willis Fiyero was he clearly wasnt the stereotype so he put the rockier rebelious edge to it which worked

#6883 Tettekete

Tettekete

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • Interests:Theatre and travel

Posted 30 May 2013 - 04:29 PM

View PostMS1995, on 30 May 2013 - 08:08 AM, said:

Although I think Gina is good and the ensemble is alright at the moment, I saw the broadway production last month and it was superior in every way! I was really impressed by the dancing in the show, and wicked doesn't really have all that much dancing! The orchestra sounded incredible (the us orchestra is very drum heavy at the moment, which I really like the sound of). The two leads were the best Elphie and Glinda I have seen, the wizard shamed anyone we have had in London! And the Fiyero was the understudy and he was much better than any of the 3 London fiyeros I have seen! So although I don't feel that the London production is weak, I was reminded of how good this show can be, so I think they should do a complete overhaul soon, to avoid any people getting bored of their role and the energy stays high!

Guessing you saw Willemijn then? ;)

I think the current London cast are just great (still not too fond of Ben Freeman though - what is his accent even doing?), but I preferred the previous cast with Rachel//Matt/Lillie as a whole. I was so sad when they left! It'll be interesting to see how they freshen up this company with the next cast change.
Seen (theatre): Wicked (Scheveningen, The Netherlands x6), Wicked (London x 19), We Will Rock You (London x3), Les Miserables (London x 1), The Phantom of the Opera (London x1), Rock of Ages (London x 1), Romeo et Juliette (Takarazuka Revue, Japan x 5), Studio54 (Takarazuka Revue, Japan, x1), For Whom The Bell Tolls (Takarazuka Revue, Japan, x1), Nova Bossa Nova/Meguriai wa Futatabi (Takarazuka Revue, Japan, x2), Nijinsky (Takarazuka Revue, Japan, x3), 9 to 5: The Musical (UK Tour, Sunderland x1), RENT in Concert (Newcastle x1), Singin' In The Rain (UK Tour, Sunderland x 1)

Seen (concerts, etc): Willemijn Verkaik "As I Am" solo concert at the AFAS Circustheater (2012), West End Eurovision 2013, Rachel Tucker at the St James Theatre studio, Scott Alan at the O2, Andrew Lippa at the St James Theatre

#6884 dannyboyjohnson

dannyboyjohnson

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 04:38 PM

With Rachel Tucker being the longest running London Elphaba, is Gina fast becoming the longest running Glinda? And who is the longest running cast member overall? Jennifer Tierney perhaps?

#6885 wickedlover

wickedlover

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 05:08 PM

View Postdannyboyjohnson, on 30 May 2013 - 04:38 PM, said:

With Rachel Tucker being the longest running London Elphaba, is Gina fast becoming the longest running Glinda? And who is the longest running cast member overall? Jennifer Tierney perhaps?

Gina needs another year to become the longest running London Glinda, as Dianne Pilkington played Glinda from July 07-March 10.
LONDON
[2004] Mary Poppins - Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
[2008] The Sound of Music - Wicked
[2009] Oliver! - Billy Elliot - Grease - Wicked - Avenue Q - Sister Act - Wicked - The Rise and Fall of Little Voice
[2010] Oliver! - Sister Act - The Lion King - Wicked - Sister Act
[2011] Legally Blonde - Jersey Boys - Shrek the Musical - Wicked - The Wizard of Oz - Shrek the Musical - Jersey Boys - Ghost the Musical - The Wizard of Oz - Shrek the Musical
[2012] Ghost the Musical - The Wizard of Oz - Matilda the Musical - Shrek the Musical - Wicked - Ghost the Musical - The Lion King - Les Miserables - Jest End - Shrek the Musical - Wicked - Wicked - The Woman in Black - Matilda the Musical
[2013] The Bodyguard - Wicked - Matilda the Musical - We Will Rock You - The Woman in Black - Wicked - The Book of Mormon - Les Miserables - Charlie & the Chocolate Factory - Billy Elliot - The Bodyguard - Wicked - Wicked
[2014] The Bodyguard - The Book of Mormon - Wicked - Matilda the Musical - Blithe Spirit - We Will Rock You - Wicked - Miss Saigon - Les Miserables - An Evening With Julie Andrews - Let The Right One In - The Bodyguard

BELFAST
[2004] Joseph (UK Tour)
[2007] Cats (UK Tour)
[2009] Evita (UK Tour x2) - Fame (UK Tour) - Chicago (UK Tour)
[2010] The Sound of Music (UK Tour x3)
[2011] Spamalot (UK Tour) - Avenue Q (UK Tour x2) - Dancing Shoes: The George Best Story - Joseph (UK Tour)
[2012] The King and I (UK Tour) - Grease (UK Tour) - Blood Brothers (UK Tour) - Legally Blonde (UK Tour x2) -   The Mousetrap (UK Tour) - Jesus Christ Superstar (Arena Tour) - Chicago (UK Tour) - One Man, Two Guvnors (UK Tour)
[2013] Soul Sister (UK Tour) - High Society (UK Tour) - Hairspray (UK Tour) - We Will Rock You (10th Anniversary Arena Tour) - 9 to 5 (UK Tour) - Priscilla, Queen of the Desert (UK Tour) - Evita (UK Tour x3) - Thriller Live (UK Tour) - Joseph (UK Tour) - Cats (UK Tour x2)
[2014] Singin' In The Rain (UK Tour) - Birdsong (UK Tour) - The Mousetrap (UK Tour) - Shrek the Musical (UK Tour) - One Man, Two Guvnors (UK Tour)

MANCHESTER
[2011] Mamma Mia (Int Tour) - Ghost the Musical (World Premier)
[2012] The Lion King (UK Tour)
[2013] Ghost the Musical (UK Tour) - Wicked (UK Tour x2)

DUBLIN
[2011] Sister Act (UK Tour)
[2012] The Phantom of the Opera (UK Tour)
[2013] Wicked (UK Tour)

#6886 Dawnstar

Dawnstar

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 05:35 PM

View Postdannyboyjohnson, on 30 May 2013 - 04:38 PM, said:

There are a couple of swings, Hannah Toy & Sean Perkins, who IIRC were in the first replacement cast back in 2007. I haven't seen the show since 2009 so I don't know if they've been in it constantly since 2007 or have left & returned but if the former then I'd think they'd be in contention for longest running cast members.

#6887 dannyboyjohnson

dannyboyjohnson

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 05:39 PM

Ahhh i forgot about Hannah and Sean, they have been in it continuously i think... Which i believe would make them the longest running cast members

#6888 Tettekete

Tettekete

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • Interests:Theatre and travel

Posted 31 May 2013 - 11:13 PM

Pretty much everyone should watch this. Ultimate Elphaba alert! Crazy riffs! http://playbill.com/...on-a-World-Tour
Seen (theatre): Wicked (Scheveningen, The Netherlands x6), Wicked (London x 19), We Will Rock You (London x3), Les Miserables (London x 1), The Phantom of the Opera (London x1), Rock of Ages (London x 1), Romeo et Juliette (Takarazuka Revue, Japan x 5), Studio54 (Takarazuka Revue, Japan, x1), For Whom The Bell Tolls (Takarazuka Revue, Japan, x1), Nova Bossa Nova/Meguriai wa Futatabi (Takarazuka Revue, Japan, x2), Nijinsky (Takarazuka Revue, Japan, x3), 9 to 5: The Musical (UK Tour, Sunderland x1), RENT in Concert (Newcastle x1), Singin' In The Rain (UK Tour, Sunderland x 1)

Seen (concerts, etc): Willemijn Verkaik "As I Am" solo concert at the AFAS Circustheater (2012), West End Eurovision 2013, Rachel Tucker at the St James Theatre studio, Scott Alan at the O2, Andrew Lippa at the St James Theatre

#6889 harveyjnr

harveyjnr

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 11:54 PM

she is amazing! wow wow wow!

#6890 Artanis

Artanis

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 09:43 AM

They casted a 17 year old, Danna Paola, as Elphaba in the mexican version of Wicked!!! :blink:  Don´t know what to think about it, I think it´s much too young. Listened to a few songs of her and can´t imagine she has the vocal range. No wonder at all, she´s 17!!!!!! Really, who made that decision?

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users