7952 replies to this topic

#7061 Musicals1248

Musicals1248

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 09:56 PM

I don't really get the issue to be honest. I would understand the outrage at not using fresh new talent if they had just recast Kerry Ellis, but Willemijn will be fresh and new to London even if she has played the role elsewhere. The amount of UK Wicked fans who have seen her is next to none and the vast majority of the audience every night won't give two hoots who is playing the role!

#7062 Tettekete

Tettekete

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts
  • Interests:Theatre and travel

Posted 04 June 2013 - 10:43 PM

View PostMusicals1248, on 04 June 2013 - 09:56 PM, said:

I don't really get the issue to be honest. I would understand the outrage at not using fresh new talent if they had just recast Kerry Ellis, but Willemijn will be fresh and new to London even if she has played the role elsewhere. The amount of UK Wicked fans who have seen her is next to none and the vast majority of the audience every night won't give two hoots who is playing the role!

Exactly this. I only know of two other UK fans who've seen her already, so yeah. It's still going to be a fresh new cast, whether people realise it or not.
Seen (theatre): Once (London x 2), Wicked (Scheveningen, The Netherlands x6), Wicked (London x 22), We Will Rock You (London x3), Les Miserables (London x 1), The Phantom of the Opera (London x1), Rock of Ages (London x 1), Romeo et Juliette (Takarazuka Revue, Japan x 5), Studio54 (Takarazuka Revue, Japan, x1), For Whom The Bell Tolls (Takarazuka Revue, Japan, x1), Nova Bossa Nova/Meguriai wa Futatabi (Takarazuka Revue, Japan, x2), Nijinsky (Takarazuka Revue, Japan, x3), 9 to 5: The Musical (UK Tour, Sunderland x1), RENT in Concert (Newcastle x1), Singin' In The Rain (UK Tour, Sunderland x 1)

Seen (concerts, etc): Willemijn Verkaik "As I Am" solo concert at the AFAS Circustheater (2012), West End Eurovision 2013, Rachel Tucker at the St James Theatre studio, Scott Alan at the O2, Andrew Lippa at the St James Theatre

#7063 harveyjnr

harveyjnr

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 10:53 PM

well i've seen some hate it, but funnily enough the ones displaying the most enthusiasm for it are the very girls who lost out on the role to her! says everything really i guess! they seem to genuinely look up to her which is great. been watching you youtube vids of her this evening, she's so good.

#7064 KevinUK

KevinUK

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 11:02 PM

I don't care if someone has done the role for 5 years, or spent the last 5 years dreaming about getting the top job - Elphaba is still one of the top roles on the west end so they have to cast it right. Personally I think they've done a great job with the Elphaba's over the years, and this is the 1 person lots if people have said - within this thread! - should come and do it.
If I stay awake, it must be good.

#7065 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3400 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 05:04 AM

all performers have egos, and some will use things like this, reality tv casting as a blame/vent their frustration at not getting roles without looking closer to home. i know a few at least who in privatehave done this even though they clearly werent right for the part one way or another. others just accept thats showbusiness and have a classy and dignified attitude

#7066 mrtheatre123

mrtheatre123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1002 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 09:03 AM

NDJ not in rent so almost defenitly tour Elphaba

#7067 elissa

elissa

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 09:34 AM

I know I'm kinda late to the party, but I wanted to share some thoughts.

First of all, I love Willemijn's voice, acting and the whole rest. I saw her a couple of times as KQ and Elphaba and she was perfect as both.  For me, she is the definite Elphaba. That being said, I would so love to hear her sing something new instead of the same old songs again and again in different languages (and now accents, I guess). She has the talent and the voice to do something fresh and I hope she'll move on from Wicked soon. But I also understand that it must be a HUGE honour to be asked to play the part in so many different productions. She has worked so hard for it and she totally deserves to enjoy the results now!

Second, I do not at all get the discussion about her taking the role away from a Brit. How many British performes are currently or have been performing outside of GB? It's already been said that many of them are on European or Asian tours or even in New York. I just checked the production website of Starlight Express in Bochum, Germany and out of a cast of roughly 45, only 7 are German. About the same amount of Americans, the rest are Brits.
And how many other non-Brits are currently and have been in the West End (the recent Les Mis casts had loads, Gavin Creel & Jared Gertner, Kristen Beth Williams...)? I didn't hear any whining about them. It is a popular practice and often done as exchange. I really hope that Willemijn doesn't become the scapegoat!

#7068 robbieboy

robbieboy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 11:13 AM

I can't see the problem here. Willemijn Verkaik is the best person for this role, and the only actress who's played Elphaba in 3 different producions of Wicked, and NOT without a reason. I have seen her 16 times, and once you see her on stage, you will absolutely fall in love for her Elphie. Just wait and see

#7069 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3400 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 11:22 AM

Is she an exciting and slightly edgy Elphaba (ala Alexia) or a safe traditional Elphaba (ala Rachel Tucker)?

#7070 Tettekete

Tettekete

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts
  • Interests:Theatre and travel

Posted 05 June 2013 - 11:30 AM

I'm not sure how to describe her Elphaba really, she's not like anyone else I've ever seen. All I can say is it's like Gregory Maguire's book!Elphaba has walked out of the pages and onto the stage. ;)
Seen (theatre): Once (London x 2), Wicked (Scheveningen, The Netherlands x6), Wicked (London x 22), We Will Rock You (London x3), Les Miserables (London x 1), The Phantom of the Opera (London x1), Rock of Ages (London x 1), Romeo et Juliette (Takarazuka Revue, Japan x 5), Studio54 (Takarazuka Revue, Japan, x1), For Whom The Bell Tolls (Takarazuka Revue, Japan, x1), Nova Bossa Nova/Meguriai wa Futatabi (Takarazuka Revue, Japan, x2), Nijinsky (Takarazuka Revue, Japan, x3), 9 to 5: The Musical (UK Tour, Sunderland x1), RENT in Concert (Newcastle x1), Singin' In The Rain (UK Tour, Sunderland x 1)

Seen (concerts, etc): Willemijn Verkaik "As I Am" solo concert at the AFAS Circustheater (2012), West End Eurovision 2013, Rachel Tucker at the St James Theatre studio, Scott Alan at the O2, Andrew Lippa at the St James Theatre

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users