#7121 Tettekete

Tettekete

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • Interests:Theatre and travel

Posted 07 June 2013 - 11:58 AM

Some guy on twitter has been tweeting former Elphabas, complaining that Willemijn taking over from Louise has "ruined Wicked". Rude. :S Oh, the joys of social networking...
Seen (theatre): Once (London x 2), Wicked (Scheveningen, The Netherlands x6), Wicked (London x 22), We Will Rock You (London x3), Les Miserables (London x 1), The Phantom of the Opera (London x1), Rock of Ages (London x 1), Romeo et Juliette (Takarazuka Revue, Japan x 5), Studio54 (Takarazuka Revue, Japan, x1), For Whom The Bell Tolls (Takarazuka Revue, Japan, x1), Nova Bossa Nova/Meguriai wa Futatabi (Takarazuka Revue, Japan, x2), Nijinsky (Takarazuka Revue, Japan, x3), 9 to 5: The Musical (UK Tour, Sunderland x1), RENT in Concert (Newcastle x1), Singin' In The Rain (UK Tour, Sunderland x 1)

Seen (concerts, etc): Willemijn Verkaik "As I Am" solo concert at the AFAS Circustheater (2012), West End Eurovision 2013, Rachel Tucker at the St James Theatre studio, Scott Alan at the O2, Andrew Lippa at the St James Theatre

#7122 Jordosaur!

Jordosaur!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 12:04 PM

Nikki is a solid choice for Elphaba, but I can't help but feel that they probably could have found someone more interesting. Maybe we'll see someone new to the role later in the run though. Emily Tierney will be a fantastic Glinda I feel, very excited to see what she does with the role! :D

#7123 munchkinmania

munchkinmania

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 12:41 PM

The UK producers are not exactly risk takers this week. Ex cast again. Carina Gillespie was in Grease tour so if she is glinda standby as well that is probably one of reason she was cast.

#7124 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3361 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 12:52 PM

But they are casting strong solid performers who will deliver quality on tour and give the show good reviews and a good reputation. Les Mis and Phantom have been doing it for years. Only a handful of fans care about 'taking risks', the majority of regional theatregoers forking out near West End prices will want West End standard, and they are thankfully getting it.

We should be grateful that quality casts are being put on the road. Touring shows have long had the reputation of being substandard, this is finally thankfully slowly changing

#7125 CathyFromLex

CathyFromLex

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 01:59 PM

View Postposter J, on 07 June 2013 - 11:14 AM, said:

Standby Elphaba but no standby Glinda?  Wonder how many Glinda understudies they'll have then.  I'd be interested to see Emily Tierney as Glinda, but the tour is pretty expensive...
That's the way they do it on both US national tours - a standby for Elphaba but not Glinda, with 2 Glinda covers in the ensemble.

#7126 MrTRobz

MrTRobz

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 02:42 PM

I love their choice for Morrible I have seen her in the open air version recording of Into the Woods she will be a great addition. I have yet to see the wizard but interesting choice that there are no names attached and he is playing two roles. :)
Shows Seen

[LONDON]
Wicked
Oliver!
Wizard of Oz
Shrek

[BELFAST]
Joseph Tour
Grease Tour
Buddy Tour
Legally Blonde Tour
Hairspray Tour

[DUBLIN]
Chitty, chitty, Bang bang Tour
Hairspray Tour
Lion King Tour

To be seen

[DUBLIN]
Wicked Tour

[LONDON]
Charlie and the Chocolate factory
Matilda

#7127 Catqc

Catqc

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 09:05 PM

View PostTettekete, on 07 June 2013 - 11:58 AM, said:

Some guy on twitter has been tweeting former Elphabas, complaining that Willemijn taking over from Louise has "ruined Wicked". Rude. :S Oh, the joys of social networking...
In what way is she supposed to have 'ruined' it??

#7128 Tettekete

Tettekete

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • Interests:Theatre and travel

Posted 09 June 2013 - 02:30 PM

No clue. It's bizarre that someone would react that way.
Seen (theatre): Once (London x 2), Wicked (Scheveningen, The Netherlands x6), Wicked (London x 22), We Will Rock You (London x3), Les Miserables (London x 1), The Phantom of the Opera (London x1), Rock of Ages (London x 1), Romeo et Juliette (Takarazuka Revue, Japan x 5), Studio54 (Takarazuka Revue, Japan, x1), For Whom The Bell Tolls (Takarazuka Revue, Japan, x1), Nova Bossa Nova/Meguriai wa Futatabi (Takarazuka Revue, Japan, x2), Nijinsky (Takarazuka Revue, Japan, x3), 9 to 5: The Musical (UK Tour, Sunderland x1), RENT in Concert (Newcastle x1), Singin' In The Rain (UK Tour, Sunderland x 1)

Seen (concerts, etc): Willemijn Verkaik "As I Am" solo concert at the AFAS Circustheater (2012), West End Eurovision 2013, Rachel Tucker at the St James Theatre studio, Scott Alan at the O2, Andrew Lippa at the St James Theatre

#7129 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3361 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 02:49 PM

when it comes to wicked fans nothing surprises me anymore. i guess as they were auditioning for tour and west end at the same time that might br why the west end elphaba was announced so early

#7130 djp

djp

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 06:40 PM

View PostTitan, on 07 June 2013 - 12:52 PM, said:

But they are casting strong solid performers who will deliver quality on tour and give the show good reviews and a good reputation. Les Mis and Phantom have been doing it for years. Only a handful of fans care about 'taking risks', the majority of regional theatregoers forking out near West End prices will want West End standard, and they are thankfully getting it.

We should be grateful that quality casts are being put on the road. Touring shows have long had the reputation of being substandard, this is finally thankfully slowly changing

At the moment the tours  sometimes gets the better cast, or the  big tours  have just split the best people between the two. Currently/recently there's also arguably been more MT strength on display touring , or originating,  outside London in the provinces  than in it.

There's no way of knowing why they have cast who they did. They  might have been the best available, or no one else may have wanted to tour, or it could be a case of lazy , safe, casting, risk avoidance,  and satisficing.

Its true, most people going won't know anyone performing , even after the curtain goes down. They also won't know whether that was a great performance for an understudy, or as good or better than the WE offered recently. They also won't/can't know how well anyone else might have done. What will happen is, if its not quite spectacular enough , it will sell a bit less, if people liked those people in London it may sell a bit more,  and anyone like me  has very little incentive to go and see the tour because we have already seen/taken a view on who is in it..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users