7952 replies to this topic

#7131 harveyjnr

harveyjnr

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 06:47 PM

do we know who the rest of the town cast will be yet!?

#7132 mrtheatre123

mrtheatre123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 07:41 PM

View Postdjp, on 09 June 2013 - 06:40 PM, said:

At the moment the tours  sometimes gets the better cast, or the  big tours  have just split the best people between the two. Currently/recently there's also arguably been more MT strength on display touring , or originating,  outside London in the provinces  than in it.

There's no way of knowing why they have cast who they did. They  might have been the best available, or no one else may have wanted to tour, or it could be a case of lazy , safe, casting, risk avoidance,  and satisficing.

Its true, most people going won't know anyone performing , even after the curtain goes down. They also won't know whether that was a great performance for an understudy, or as good or better than the WE offered recently. They also won't/can't know how well anyone else might have done. What will happen is, if its not quite spectacular enough , it will sell a bit less, if people liked those people in London it may sell a bit more,  and anyone like me  has very little incentive to go and see the tour because we have already seen/taken a view on who is in it..

I agree 100% with all you said! Especial about the UK tours having stronger talent that. The west end! The standard of performers on tour is fantastic, even the understudys are of a huge standard

Ghost has a fantastic cast with fantastic leads but also fantastic understudys such as Bradley Jaden & Gregor Stewart!

9to5 has a fantastic set of leads - Jackie Clune, Bonnie Langford(at certain dates), Amy Lennox and ben Richards!

Rocky has Oliver Thornton

Pricilla has Jason Donovan & Richard Grieve

Hairspray has done fantastic talent in it!

Then in the future we have billy Elliot, SHREK and fiddler on the roof tour so more possibility for fantastic performers!

#7133 poster J

poster J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1022 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 08:51 PM

View Postmrtheatre123, on 09 June 2013 - 07:41 PM, said:

I agree 100% with all you said! Especial about the UK tours having stronger talent that. The west end! The standard of performers on tour is fantastic, even the understudys are of a huge standard

Ghost has a fantastic cast with fantastic leads but also fantastic understudys such as Bradley Jaden & Gregor Stewart!

9to5 has a fantastic set of leads - Jackie Clune, Bonnie Langford(at certain dates), Amy Lennox and ben Richards!

Rocky has Oliver Thornton

Pricilla has Jason Donovan & Richard Grieve

Hairspray has done fantastic talent in it!

Then in the future we have billy Elliot, SHREK and fiddler on the roof tour so more possibility for fantastic performers!

I disagree that some of those names are fantastic talents!  Bonnie Langford was by far the worst thing about the Spamalot tour when I saw it, she was utterly dreadful.

I don't think you can make a generalisation that tour casts are better than London or vice versa - it'll all depend on the particular cast and people's own particular preferences.  Pretty much nothing about the Wicked tour cast excites me, and even though I wish there was a completely new Elphaba in London, I'm more excited to see if Willemijn lives up to the hype than I am about seeing the tour, and I'm interested to know who'll fill out the rest of the London cast for the next contract.

#7134 mrtheatre123

mrtheatre123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 09:35 PM

Sorry I must make myself clear i am NOT saying tour casts are more talented than wet end, what I am saying is in past  the standard of tour casts wasn't always equal to the west end standard but now I think both are of equal standard, one is not better than the other but both equal

On the bonnie front, I didn't like her in spamalot but thought she was fantastic in 9 to 5 !!!

#7135 DanielWhit

DanielWhit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2293 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 01:16 AM

View Postharveyjnr, on 09 June 2013 - 06:47 PM, said:

do we know who the rest of the town cast will be yet!?

Nope, but they won't even go into rehearsals until October, so there's no rush on that front.

#7136 BGLowe

BGLowe

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 10:48 PM

Slightly random, but has anybody else heard this sort of 'Fiyero' riff done by any Elphie in the West End? I've seen Kerry, Alexia, Rachel, Louise and Hayley and don't recall any doing this riff. Courtesy of Donna Vivino, I happened to be bored the other day and listened to this version of 'No Good Deed' and she makes that note seem so effortless.

(Hope my link works ok!)
London:
A Chorus Line x1| Avenue Q x1| Bad Girls x1| Blood Brothers x1| Cabaret x2| Carousel x4| Chicago x2| From Here to Eternity x1 | Ghost x1| Legally Blonde x1| Les Miserables x3| Little Shop of Horrors x1| Lost Boy x1 | Love Never Dies x2| Marguerite x1| Matilda x1| Once x2| One Man, Two Guvnors x1| Peter Pan x1| Rock of Ages x2| Sister Act x1| Spamalot x1| Stephen Ward x1| Sweeney Todd x1| Sweet Charity x1| The Book Of Mormon x1| The King And I x1| The Lion King x1| The Light Princess x1| The Phantom of the Opera x1| The Sound of Music x1| The West End Men x1 The Wizard of Oz x1| Urinetown x1| We Will Rock You x1| Whistle Down The Wind x2| Wicked x5|

Booked for: Carousel

National Tours:
Aspects of Love x1| Avenue Q x2| Birdsong x1| Blood Brothers x4| Chess x1| Evita x1| Fame x1| Footloose x1| Grease x1| Joseph and the Technicolour Dreamcoat x1| Legally Blonde x1| Oklahoma x1| Rocky Horror Show x1| Starlight Express x1| Tell Me on a Sunday x1| The History Boys x1| West Side Story x1| Whistle Down The Wind x2|

#7137 dannyboyjohnson

dannyboyjohnson

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 10:52 PM

Wow... that performance was something else!! Incredible!!

#7138 KevinUK

KevinUK

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 11:03 PM

Oh, I didn't like that (amazing vocals though). Poor Elphie seems to be on the verge of a nervous breakdown, not a maddening revenge trip!
If I stay awake, it must be good.

#7139 poster J

poster J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1022 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 11:49 PM

I hope no West End Elphie has ever done that riff, it ruined that entire performance!  Completely over the top and unnecessary, I don't think it works at all.

#7140 DanielWhit

DanielWhit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2293 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 12:35 AM

The "riff" (for want of a better word for squealing a note) wasn't best placed, but what made less sense was the seeming show-off "now look at me falling down and being able to sing straight after" fall.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users