7950 replies to this topic

#7151 tsxmitw

tsxmitw

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 09:52 PM

Oh dear, I didn't think Louise's voice sounded too comfortable at West End Live today! She avoided some of the big notes ('Look to the western sky' was taken down) and was flat on some of the money notes at the end of Defying Gravity. Perhaps just a bad day, or the differences and difficulties of performing live with a hand held mic outside the theatre.

THAT SAID, she still has that gorgeous tone and the non-belting was absolutely perfect. I just reckon she's a better Glinda all things considered!

#7152 SSB

SSB

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 11:44 PM

Have to say I agree. I adore Louise as a performer and think her voice is beautifully unique but she does struggle belting the higher notes. Rachel did it with such ease and was able to play around with notes effortlessly.

Still is pretty impressive that Louise has been able to pull off both roles mind:)

#7153 ajkb7926

ajkb7926

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 09:15 AM

I have to admit I liked the way she did 'look to the western sky' I didn't mind it being taken down and it enabled her to play with it. I don't know if it would work in the show as they don't seem overly keen on changing bits in the score.

But one thing is sure - the girl can belt!

Also is it just me but on her recent DG audio's I am loving the use of her vibrato on the second 'me' in bring me down?

#7154 Mark_E

Mark_E

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2345 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 09:28 AM

She was very weak yesterday. Didn't enjoy her performance.

#7155 Catqc

Catqc

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 09:37 AM

Loved 'for good' yesterday, but I agree I've heard better DGs. Louise did tweet that she was irritated by the pollen flying around, maybe hayfever could be partly why...

#7156 Dubbie

Dubbie

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 10:51 AM

Louise always seems to be flat on the last few notes of Defying Gravity (the 'aah' bit). It sounds like she tries to belt every single bit instead of mixing with her head voice (if that makes sense).

A lot of people tweeted about the crazy pollen yesterday though.

#7157 Catqc

Catqc

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 10:53 AM

View PostDubbie, on 23 June 2013 - 10:51 AM, said:

A lot of people tweeted about the crazy pollen yesterday though.
There was certainly a lot of it! A great day though :)

#7158 JD094

JD094

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 05:44 PM

Yeah she said she had a coughing fit straight after coming off stage - I liked a couple of ways she mixed DG up but agreed, her ending isn't as climactic as other Elphies.
WEST END SHOWS:
2009: The Sound of Music - Oliver!
2010: Jersey Boys - Les Miserables
2011: Jersey Boys - Shrek the Musical
2012: Ghost the Musical - Jersey Boys - Les Miserables - Shrek the Musical - Wicked
2013: Billy Elliot - The Bodyguard - The Book of Mormon - Jersey Boys - Les Miserables - Matilda - The Phantom of the Opera - Viva Forever! - Wicked
2014: Jersey Boys - Les Miserables - Once - The Phantom of the Opera - Wicked

#7159 tommo2k

tommo2k

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 09:31 PM

I think she sounded ok for saying she had 2 shows to do. I'm sure she didn't want to strain herself especially if the pollen was affecting her. I thought she was way better live than any recording I've heard of her too. She is my favourite if all the glindas I've seen and a very good Elphaba too.

#7160 KevinUK

KevinUK

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 11:07 PM

Louise and Gina performed at 'West End Heroes' tonight. Poor Louise didn't sound her best at all - I swear her mic was deliberately turned up compared to Ginas. They sang 'For Good'.
If I stay awake, it must be good.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users