Tettekete

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts
  • Interests:Theatre and travel

Posted 29 August 2013 - 06:59 PM

^ Exactly!

We've already had enough people being concerned with Willemijn not being British, and now everyone's too focused on her age. I just think it's best to not judge until you've seen her ;)
Seen (theatre): Once (London x 2), Wicked (Scheveningen, The Netherlands x6), Wicked (London x 22), We Will Rock You (London x3), Les Miserables (London x 1), The Phantom of the Opera (London x1), Rock of Ages (London x 1), Romeo et Juliette (Takarazuka Revue, Japan x 5), Studio54 (Takarazuka Revue, Japan, x1), For Whom The Bell Tolls (Takarazuka Revue, Japan, x1), Nova Bossa Nova/Meguriai wa Futatabi (Takarazuka Revue, Japan, x2), Nijinsky (Takarazuka Revue, Japan, x3), 9 to 5: The Musical (UK Tour, Sunderland x1), RENT in Concert (Newcastle x1), Singin' In The Rain (UK Tour, Sunderland x 1)

Seen (concerts, etc): Willemijn Verkaik "As I Am" solo concert at the AFAS Circustheater (2012), West End Eurovision 2013, Rachel Tucker at the St James Theatre studio, Scott Alan at the O2, Andrew Lippa at the St James Theatre

#7362 poster J

poster J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1022 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 07:32 PM

For me it's more because she's being massively hyped up as this flawless, unequalled Elphaba that people are probably more inclined to nit-pick.   I'm intrigued to see her take on the role, but from everything I've read on this thread I'll almost be going into it expecting the greatest performance I've ever seen in Wicked...

#7363 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3392 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:24 PM

But she is just the new overhyped elphaba. Kerry ellis and rachel tucker have both had similar hype to goddess level. Both were disappointing as anyone would be due to the hype

#7364 poster J

poster J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1022 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 10:56 PM

The difference is that neither of them were hyped before they started in the role in London - Kerry was known, but only really to people who'd seen her in WWRY/Les Mis/My Fair Lady.  And Rachel was only vaguely known from the TV show and WWRY.  I don't think there was the same level of expectation on either of them as there seems to be now.

#7365 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3392 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 06:07 AM

There really isnt much expectation on her really, except in the very small pool of wicked fans.  Vast majority going to see it wont have a clue who she is (as is always the case with that role), unless they decide to actively promote and sell her as a star which would be a surprise as they have never done that previously.  The only expectation is coming from some fans who have seen youtube videos, or happened to have seen her overseas

#7366 Tettekete

Tettekete

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts
  • Interests:Theatre and travel

Posted 30 August 2013 - 11:33 AM

I've seen her five times, so I know what to expect from her Elphie now. I'm not trying to hype her up or make her seem like some superhuman, I'm only ever giving her the praise I think she deserves :)

Hardly anyone's going to know who she is, to be fair. Except I know a few of her German and Dutch fans are going for her opening night, but still.

EDIT: There was a "20 years of musicals" thing going on in Scheveningen, The Netherlands today, and Willemijn flew from Germany to slip back into the green for a few hours.

Posted Image
Seen (theatre): Once (London x 2), Wicked (Scheveningen, The Netherlands x6), Wicked (London x 22), We Will Rock You (London x3), Les Miserables (London x 1), The Phantom of the Opera (London x1), Rock of Ages (London x 1), Romeo et Juliette (Takarazuka Revue, Japan x 5), Studio54 (Takarazuka Revue, Japan, x1), For Whom The Bell Tolls (Takarazuka Revue, Japan, x1), Nova Bossa Nova/Meguriai wa Futatabi (Takarazuka Revue, Japan, x2), Nijinsky (Takarazuka Revue, Japan, x3), 9 to 5: The Musical (UK Tour, Sunderland x1), RENT in Concert (Newcastle x1), Singin' In The Rain (UK Tour, Sunderland x 1)

Seen (concerts, etc): Willemijn Verkaik "As I Am" solo concert at the AFAS Circustheater (2012), West End Eurovision 2013, Rachel Tucker at the St James Theatre studio, Scott Alan at the O2, Andrew Lippa at the St James Theatre

#7367 isabel

isabel

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1092 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 07:21 PM

Just seen something funny posted on Twitter"  One time during For Good, @Gina_Beck got the hiccups and couldn't stop so the song was postponed for 10 minutes" I know I shouldn't laugh, but I've always wondered what happens when they get hiccups ! lol     Also Sophie Linder Lee is Glinda tonight

#7368 TR252

TR252

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 09:29 PM

View Postisabel, on 02 September 2013 - 07:21 PM, said:

Just seen something funny posted on Twitter"  One time during For Good, @Gina_Beck got the hiccups and couldn't stop so the song was postponed for 10 minutes" I know I shouldn't laugh, but I've always wondered what happens when they get hiccups ! lol Also Sophie Linder Lee is Glinda tonight

I saw that but I doubt it's true after reading other tweets from that account! :P

#7369 holler

holler

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 12:05 PM

Completed my annual visit to the AV last night. Was attempting to see Louise for completist reasons, but I saw Michelle instead. Considering the performance I saw from the last understudy-to-standby Elphie I saw (naming no names, circa 2009-2010), I was pleasantly surprised. A very competent performance, by any standard. She held her own during all the big songs, and although she seemed a little shaky both in dialogue and vocals in her first scene and TWAI, I never doubted that she could pull it off. I hate it when you know you're seeing an understudy and you worry they're going to balls it up (as has happened previously) - not so with Michelle. It's good to know that Wicked has some quality understudies now who can easily cover if there is a mass sick-out.

Having said that, the performance/portrayal wasn't particularly memorable, and aside from a pleasantly surprising ending to NGD (easily her best/most confident song), I wouldn't be rushing back just to see her. Unlike some other understudies who I prefer to the leads (Amy Webb, Ghost; Nikki Davis-Jones, Wicked). But this is probably to be expected from someone second in line to the (green) throne.

I still adore Gina, since I first saw her in POTO. Since I last saw Wicked a year ago, Gina seems to have honed Dianne Pilkington exponentially more and from my distant seat in the circle - and especially with Harriet Thorpe on, hello 2009 - I could have easily assumed it was Dianne back for one night only. This is by no means a bad thing, Dianne's Glinda is hilarious, and Gina has a lovely voice, but it was amusing to note.

The low point was without a doubt Ben Freeman. I hope he is the last in a line of poor, untalented, D-list soap star stunt casts that we'll see in this role. I know nobody will ever compare to Oli for vocals and in his defence, Ben had a strong enough voice and could hold a tune, but he swallowed every single line of dialogue. Everything was said into the ground, nothing was projected, and I couldn't tell a single word he said. He had chosen to adopt a bizarre attempt at a posh-boy (I think?!) accent, which is fair enough, although poorly executed - but he spoke at such a mumbling rate that I could feel the audience were losing what he was saying. One of his lines in the lion cub scene that always gets a laugh fell completely flat. I didn't care for his chemistry - or lack thereof - with either Gina or Michelle, and it made me almost wish Lewis (Bradley) was on the stage instead... bless his little blond cotton socks.

The front of the circle was very empty - surprised me. The back half seemed pretty full. Couldn't see the stalls from where I was. But I was glad to move forward into one of the empty seats at the interval and enjoyed the insane dramatics of Act 2 very much. Everyone was on one during Wicked Witch of the East - I usually see Nessa overacting that to the extreme, but I loved KRJ, having never seen her before. Everyone else seemed to be meeting the overacting quota instead - as my partner in crime for the evening said: this is the most dramatic WWotE scene ever!

Harriet Thorpe was my star for the evening. She is my most-seen Morrible and it really was a blast from the past to have her back. Looking forward to a spot of NDJ on the tour and I'll certainly be catching Willemijn a few months into the run. I like to give the new cast chance to settle in...

#7370 isabel

isabel

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1092 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 01:18 PM

That's the first photo of Willemijn in green / costume that I've ever seen. Can't wait until we see the Cast photos, especially Savannah in costume. What cool leading lady names we'll have LOL.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users