• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1 reply to this topic

#1 Jake

Jake

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 09:37 PM

Saw this excellent new play at the Theatre Royal Bath last night.. surprised there's not been anything about it on here. Bearing in mind I was 11 when Robert Maxwell died, I knew nothing about his life, but with a small amount of background reading and a very accessible script setting it up, I felt like I came away quite well informed, certainly about Maxwell's character and reputation. Michael Pennington and Anna Calder-Marshall are outstanding as Maxwell and Mother Theresa.. some excellent acting in their scenes together (which makes up most of the play). The script needs tightening in the first 10 minutes if it's to transfer to London (there are some really glaringly obvious lines that stand out as being quite cringeworthy) but once it got going, it was really gripping stuff. Nice office set.

At the moment, I'm just baffled as to why Susan Hampshire's face is splashed all over the poster/publicity - she is not the principle role by any means. And also, why Jonathan Coy - the fourth actor in the play - is given relatively NO publicity attention is also very odd, it's very much a four-hander play, yet billed as if it were for three actors only. It needs a much better poster if it's to transfer, but for those who are interested in 'The Queen' like theatrical interpretations of public figures, this is certainly worth a look.

#2 Millie Dillmount

Millie Dillmount

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 03:04 PM

its because susan hampshire will sell tickets were as people will be jonathon who?

she will appeal to the monarch of the glen viewers who go to plays in eastbourne which list the soaps that they have appeared in under their names!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users