• PipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 10:57 PM

Thats it really! smile.gif

#2 Guest_Skylight_*

Guest_Skylight_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2007 - 11:07 PM

Yes.  I wasn't sure about it at first but by the end it won me over.  Zoe Wanamaker is almost unrecognisable and after seeing just how young her playing age is I have no concerns about her playing Beatrice later in the year.  I found it quite hard to watch because of Stephen Pimlott but it's a good tribute to him and I hope it's well received.  I really can't concentrate with this f**king sh*tty muzak so that's it from me on this board for the time being. Arrivederci.

#3 coated peanuts

coated peanuts

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 12:57 AM

I thought it was ok. Zoe Wanamaker is good in it, but I felt she wasn't quite right for the part. Either way, she did make it work. I found the play unexpectedly hilarious due the atrocious accent of the daughter. It was very much Dick Van Dyke for fake italian/southern accents. The set and lighting were very nice, some of the secondary characters were good as well. Overall it left me a little bored, but I don't know whether that was the play or the production or a little bit of both.

#4 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 02:29 AM

I couldn't work out why the daughter had an Italian accent anyway. How long was the family meant to have been in the US for? I thought they were meant to have emigrated years before the start of the play (when she's 12).  I didn't have any trouble recognising Zoe Wanamaker  - how was she different from usual (except for the accent?). It was OK - if you like Tennessee Williams, you'll like it, if not, it probably won't convert you as it's long, talky and not much happens.

However, it's the only time I've ever seen a goat on stage so that's worth 10!

#5 coated peanuts

coated peanuts

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 10:53 AM

QUOTE(armadillo @ Mar 25 2007, 03:29 AM) View Post
However, it's the only time I've ever seen a goat on stage so that's worth 10!

Yup. I would have been happy to pay 10 without the goat anyway, but the goat certainly added to my enjoyment. I liked the 'real' children as well, mainly because fake-stage-children are a pet hate of mine. The kids had a bit too much stage-time perhaps, but they were quite charming at the beginning.

The daughter's accent was just a big mess. As a kid, she would have picked up a nice Lousianna accent with a bit of an italianate twang perhaps (how you'd hear that under the Lousianna twang, I'm not sure), but at no point would she have sounded like an eastender pretending to speak 'american' with an italian accent. Her attempts at actually speaking italian were a bit, err, british as well.

Perhaps it's not a great idea to perform american plays with British actors in an american accent. I wonder whether it would work better to just ignore the accents and concentrate on the play. Otherwise I think the casting choices would have to be influenced by the ability to mimic accents, which might not always get you the best actor for the role.

#6 Snout

Snout

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 07:24 AM

The mixed accent is not inauthentic. I've known third generation Irish Americans with strong brogues.

#7 caesar

caesar

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 10:11 AM

I think everyone is being mean about the girl, she was very good, accent irrelevant. The whole show was excellent, Darrell D'Silva superb.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users