• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

#1 Frosty

Frosty

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 12:13 PM

What pubs, bars and/or restaurants are your favourites for pre- and post-show? (And maybe which of the restaurants do you need to book in advance for?) I'm new on the discussion board, so apologies if this topic has been done to death before.

For my two-bob's worth, our favourites are:
Pubs/bars - Nell Gwynne, Greyhound, Salisbury, and for special occasions, the American Bar at the Savoy.
Restaurants - Joe Allen, Rules (both best to book ahead)

#2 Marius

Marius

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 04:07 PM

QUOTE(Frosty @ Mar 25 2007, 01:13 PM) View Post
What pubs, bars and/or restaurants are your favourites for pre- and post-show? (And maybe which of the restaurants do you need to book in advance for?) I'm new on the discussion board, so apologies if this topic has been done to death before.

For my two-bob's worth, our favourites are:
Pubs/bars - Nell Gwynne, Greyhound, Salisbury, and for special occasions, the American Bar at the Savoy.
Restaurants - Joe Allen, Rules (both best to book ahead)

Browns Covent Garden (next to the Noel Coward)

#3 M George

M George

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 09:10 PM

Coming from Oop Norf, I don't often go to bars after theatre in London, although I do believe last time I saw a West End show (Phantom for the trillionth time) I finished the night in the gloriously horrible surroundings of G-A-Y via a few other bars.  Only drink could have ever got me into G-A-Y!!

Normally in Manchester after the theatre I'll nip over to China Town then for drinks at the Cornerhouse, an excellent alternative drinking establishment to the nasty old village and the pretentious bars of Deansgate.
I won't be called a baggage!

#4 Backdrifter

Backdrifter

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • Interests:Moving, sleeping, eating, not being here

Gender says 'not telling' but, clue: I own some Y chromosomes

Posted 26 March 2007 - 08:11 AM

I tend to do my eating & drinking before the show. For the NT or the Vics, Noodle Culture on The Cut is a good cheap Chinese, also Tas (on The Cut too) does very good Turkish food. The Mezzanine at the NT can be good.

West End/Soho/Covt Gdn, if I fancy a burger or something of that ilk Bodeans on Poland Street does pretty good barbecue; or Hamburger Union in Garrick Street. There are of course plenty of good cheap Chineses around the Gerrard Street area; I love dimsum and there's a big place (I think on Macclesfield Street but I can't remember its name) that does excellent dimsum into the evening - most places stop serving it at 5pm. The Vietnamese at the bottom of Wardour Street does excellent fresh-tasting dishes zingy with lime and coriander etc.

One of the things I like about investigating fringe theatres around London is looking for good eating places in the area.
Turn up the signal... wipe out the noise

#5 Backdrifter

Backdrifter

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 08:14 AM

Oh yeah, if I'm going to the Barbican I'll sometimes push the boat out and have dinner at St John. Not cheap but I love the no-frills British food, especially their signature dish of roasted bone marrow. Their bar is also a good bet, with nice range of wines and ales and a decent Breton cider.

#6 Tintin

Tintin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 05:44 PM

This is  very welcome thread, Frosty.

I love going to Masala Zone in Marshall Street - excellent Indian food in a spacious comfortable atmosphere, and amazing value.

I also enjoy the Wagamama restaurants, although they can get very crowded, due to their excellent value, and very noisy, due to the hard reflective surfaces of the interior. Best to get there at or before 6.00 pm, and the one in Leicester Square is well located for the theatres.

For cheap and cheerful and very quick service, the Stockpot in Panton Street is worth a visit.

I would avoid Bertorellis, which is very poor value and rather pretentious. Similarly the one in the Opera House. I cannot remember the name, but have a bad memory of falling for their "special offer", only to find that there was so little to eat, we were having to buy the extras, only to find that the bill was much more expensive in the end. The service was friendly though. In fact, I would avoid any place in the area with a "special offer". They sometimes appear in the Evening Standard and are a waste of money.

Going very upmarket, eating out at Rules is certainly a very special experience.

#7 Widow Twanky

Widow Twanky

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 09:44 PM

Try some of the West End Hotels. One Aldwych and Sofitel St James are both stunning Five Star Hotels that offer excellent pre-theatre suppers for between 15 and 20 per head. The Savoy Grill also has a similar menu, but haven't tried that one yet. You can find details on their websites. For cheap and cheerful try Cafe Emm on Frith Street - always busy and lively.

#8 Moose

Moose

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 04:28 PM

The Dial Bar at Seven Dials (by the Cambridge Theatre) does very good cocktails, but that's probably a post theatre thing. Also the falafel at Gaby's deli on Charing Cross Rd (just next to Wyndhams) is gorgeous!! Would second Stockpot as well- there's another on Old Compton Street at the Charing Cross Rd end which is helpful for Shaftesbury Ave/Covent Garden theatres.

#9 Backdrifter

Backdrifter

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 07:42 AM

QUOTE(Moose @ Mar 27 2007, 04:28 PM) View Post
the falafel at Gaby's deli on Charing Cross Rd (just next to Wyndhams) is gorgeous!! Would second Stockpot as well- there's another on Old Compton Street at the Charing Cross Rd end which is helpful for Shaftesbury Ave/Covent Garden theatres.

Not forgetting the luscious salt beef at Gaby's too. Also on Panton St in the same mould as Stockpot is (I think it's called) The West End Kitchen, 3 courses for 5 type of thing and it's not bad. Well, I haven't been there for a while but it certainly didn't used to be bad.

I've been to Marsala Zone a few times, the one in Marshall St once and the Upper Street one a few occasions, and last time (just before xmas) I found the latter had gone downhill, the service wasn't very good and it felt like they weren't bothering much anymore.

Tintin is the Opera House one Chez Gerrard? I used to go to the Waterloo one occasionally as it's obviously handy for the NT but I got tired of it, especially as they fell into that thing of treating me as invisible once I'd had my main delivered - try to get a dessert or even the bill and you have to give up as you run out of time for the start of the show.

Strada at the RFH do a very decent pizza. Some of the Greater London ones give out re-usable 15% discount vouchers - I've taken advantage of this a few times at the Richmond branch when visiting the RT or the Orange Tree.

#10 WestEndGirl

WestEndGirl

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 01:48 PM

Wolfes Bar & Grill in Great Queen St in Covent Garden is pretty good, and very close to New London and Drury

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users