1243 replies to this topic

#31 Matthew Winn

Matthew Winn

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2898 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 05:17 AM

At Kiss Me, Kate at the Victoria Palace I was at the front of the dress circle and noticed that quite a few people were looking in my direction and whispering to each other. I was wondering what was going on, and then I realised John Major was sitting behind me.
I have always hated eggs. I remember back when I was a sperm I tried to head-butt one. It did not end well.

#32 MrsDoyle

MrsDoyle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 09:32 AM

QUOTE(Matthew Winn @ Aug 23 2009, 06:17 AM) View Post
At Kiss Me, Kate at the Victoria Palace I was at the front of the dress circle and noticed that quite a few people were looking in my direction and whispering to each other. I was wondering what was going on, and then I realised John Major was sitting behind me.

No Matthew, don't sell yourself short. I'm sure they were saying "Who's that in front of John Major?" smile.gif

#33 jeaniebee

jeaniebee

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 12:02 PM

Emma Thompson at a very recent We Will Rock You.
Nigella Lawson at Phantom.
Cherie Blair at The Taming of the Shrew (Globe).
Barbara Windsor at Piaf (Donmar).

#34 Misplaced

Misplaced

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 04:11 PM

I sat next to Imelda Staunton at Much Ado About Nothing ... I am a big, big fan and I was absolutely quaking in my shoes!

Also sat next to Laura Michelle Kelly at the final show of LoTR.  I was just screwing up my courage to say something when she moved for the second Act.  Alas...
"I don't trust that pirate girl."

#35 Alnoor

Alnoor

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 08:06 PM

Last night at the final performance of Hamlet--Robert Downey Jr was 2 rows behind us.

A LOT of people were aware of him and kept looking in his direction.

So--Holmes had come to see Watson.

Alnoor

#36 Jan Brock

Jan Brock

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2756 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 10:23 AM

QUOTE(JonnyBoy @ Aug 21 2009, 06:55 PM) View Post
Michael Billington watching and reviewing Entertaining Mr Sloane

Well, he doesn't really count does he ? Even if I wasn't going to quibble over the "famous" tag I would say that as it is his job to be there at every first night he is not really a notable spot - I have seen him myself scuttling around on many occasions.

For the old lags here, how about which famous person you have seen most often at the theatre ? - I seem to be there with Michael Frayn more often than not (not just for his own plays/translations either).

#37 Laughingmonsta

Laughingmonsta

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2424 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 10:38 AM

well if your going to include reviewers then I could list all of them at some point - but like Jan pointed out - he's not really famous, he could easily walk down the street go to Marks & Spencer and not be recognised!
This is my street, I smile at the faces I've known all my life, They regard me with pride.

#38 Red Momma

Red Momma

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts
  • Interests:Musical Theatre, my garden and my large family.
    I also enjoy travelling

Posted 24 August 2009 - 10:55 AM

I once sat behind The Queen at a performance of Oklahoma.

#39 macca

macca

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 11:25 AM

Last week I spotted Victoria Wood at Alls Well That Ends Well at the National and Miriam Margolyes at Hello Dolly!

Most famous neighbours were David Hare and Nicole Fahri at the Cherry Orchard at the Old Vic with Ewan Macgregor and wife in row behind.

Over the years I've spotted many a famous face especially at the Donmar.  Going back many years to the first run of Three Days of Rain: John Malkovich, Helena Bonham Carter, Felicity Kendall, plus Dempsey and Makepeace all at the same performance.  

During the American Season (inc Proof with Gwyneth Paltrow) I regulary saw David Morrisey (link to Three Days of Rain spookily) who seemed to have picked the same performances as me for the 5 plays.  I noticed - I'm sure he didn't! In that run also Philip Seymour Hoffman.  Of course highlight of that looking back was David Tennant on stage in Lobby Hero.

Otherwise others that standout are:

Alan Rickman - Company at Donmar
Richard Wilson - RSC Hamlet at Novello, Be Near Me at Donmar
Kate Moss, Sadie Frost, Jefferson Hack and Stella McCartney - Life and Death of An Anarchist at Donmar

There are more but my memory isn't what it once was.

#40 allthatjazz

allthatjazz

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 536 posts
  • Interests:I have the theatre bug!! My mission in life is to visit every theatre in london, which could take a while! My current favourites are Chicago, The Lion King and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. <br /><br />I also enjoy reading and shopping.

Posted 24 August 2009 - 11:42 AM

I recently went to see Peter Pan in Kensington Gardens and Michael McIntyre, his wife and his gorgeous son were sat right behind us.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users