• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

#1 andallthatjazz1984

andallthatjazz1984

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 08:10 PM

Went to see the show on saturday night and just wanted to view our opinions on the cast. first of all Samanth Janus was absolutely awful! She didnt even put any effort into her acting at all. Her singing was ok, but nothing special, after seeing Claire Taylor, Her understudy we were extremely dissapointed with Samantha's performance! Claire was fantastic and to be honest they shouldnt use fame over talent as Claire is a far better choice for Adelaide in my opinion. And also the girl who played Sarah Brown, Lisa Stoke was also awful! Her singing was extremely poor, she kept on missing notes and was not even remotely funny, as the part of Sarah Brown should be. Norman Bowman who played Sky Masterson wasnt much better either! His acting was ok, but his singing was very very poor and we often struggled to hear him. Not a fan of Don Johnson personally, but he was better than Patrick Swayze! All in all they should have picked a much stronger cast for the final weeks of the show.... we would love the chance to see Claire Taylor again in the role of Adelaide.

#2 Felix

Felix

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 09:29 PM

I wanna see Claire Taylor as well!

#3 musicmancjay

musicmancjay

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 01:05 AM

QUOTE(andallthatjazz1984 @ Mar 25 2007, 09:10 PM) View Post
Went to see the show on saturday night and just wanted to view our opinions on the cast. first of all Samanth Janus was absolutely awful! She didnt even put any effort into her acting at all. Her singing was ok, but nothing special, after seeing Claire Taylor, Her understudy we were extremely dissapointed with Samantha's performance! Claire was fantastic and to be honest they shouldnt use fame over talent as Claire is a far better choice for Adelaide in my opinion. And also the girl who played Sarah Brown, Lisa Stoke was also awful! Her singing was extremely poor, she kept on missing notes and was not even remotely funny, as the part of Sarah Brown should be. Norman Bowman who played Sky Masterson wasnt much better either! His acting was ok, but his singing was very very poor and we often struggled to hear him. Not a fan of Don Johnson personally, but he was better than Patrick Swayze! All in all they should have picked a much stronger cast for the final weeks of the show.... we would love the chance to see Claire Taylor again in the role of Adelaide.

Sorry to hear you think this. I personally think Sam is fantastic, Lisa Stokke has a lovely voice and I would KILL to have Norman Bowmans voice (and I know a few many more who would agree!!!!!!)

I think its a very strong cast to finish on but given the fact they've just been given their notice, I'm sure they are a little bit down in the dumps at the moment!!!

I was there on saturday night and the atmosphere in the auditorium was electric! x
"Just when he should have been lying, he's telling the truth!"

#4 Biddy

Biddy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 12:08 PM

QUOTE(musicmancjay @ Mar 26 2007, 01:05 AM) View Post
I personally think Sam is fantastic, Lisa Stokke has a lovely voice and I would KILL to have Norman Bowmans voice (and I know a few many more who would agree!!!!!!)

I think its a very strong cast to finish on
<snip>
I was there on saturday night and the atmosphere in the auditorium was electric! x

The current leads are NOT the final leads - the current 4 are contracted till March 31st.

I've read the following, somewhere on this forum:

From Monday 2nd April - the closing performance on Saturday 14th April:-

Nathan Detroit:- Andrew Playfoot
Miss Adeliade:- Samantha Janus
Sky Masterson:- Ben Richards
Sarah Brown:- Lisa Stokke

-----------------------

I personally last saw the show on Sat Mat March 17, & had a very enjoyable afternoon,
& was very impressed by the performers -
including understudy Claire Taylor as Miss Adelaide
(I've not seen Samantha Janus).

It was lovely to see (and of course to hear!) Norman Bowman as Sky again;
and Lisa Stokke (new to me) was a joy as his Sarah.

Don Johnson (new to me - I'd never even seen him on TV)
made a very watchable, charismatic Nathan - performing as if with a twinkle in his eye.

Also new to me was Spencer Stafford, playing Benny Southstreet: he has a lovely voice.

The whole cast seemed to be really enjoying performing.

#5 triplet

triplet

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 02:57 PM

QUOTE(Biddy @ Mar 26 2007, 12:08 PM) View Post
The current leads are NOT the final leads - the current 4 are contracted till March 31st.

I've read the following, somewhere on this forum:
-----------------------

I personally last saw the show on Sat Mat March 17, & had a very enjoyable afternoon,
& was very impressed by the performers -
including understudy Claire Taylor as Miss Adelaide
(I've not seen Samantha Janus).

It was lovely to see (and of course to hear!) Norman Bowman as Sky again;
and Lisa Stokke (new to me) was a joy as his Sarah.

Don Johnson (new to me - I'd never even seen him on TV)
made a very watchable, charismatic Nathan - performing as if with a twinkle in his eye.

Also new to me was Spencer Stafford, playing Benny Southstreet: he has a lovely voice.

The whole cast seemed to be really enjoying performing.

#6 triplet

triplet

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 03:00 PM

i saw this show last december, i too thought sam janus was ok, but a bit lacklustre, Amy Nuttall played a wonderful Sarah and had an amazing singing voice too.

#7 musicmancjay

musicmancjay

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 03:26 PM

QUOTE(Biddy @ Mar 26 2007, 01:08 PM) View Post

Apologies, I meant it's a great final company. Don Johnson and Norman Bowman do indeed leave this weekend.
"Just when he should have been lying, he's telling the truth!"

#8 xTanyax

xTanyax

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Interests:Singing, dancing, acting, musicals, trampolining, spending time with friends.

Posted 26 March 2007 - 06:24 PM

The only person in this cast I haven't seen is Don johnson I saw Sam Janus a couple of times at the end of last year and think she is ok but I do agree they shouldn't cast fame over talent as Lynsey Britton was a fantastic Adelaide but as soon as they got Claire Sweeney she was out, I haven't seen Claire Taylor as Adelaide but would like to. I have to say triplet that I saw Amy Nuttall and thought she was absolutely awful her singing voice is irritating and she was definelty the worst Sarah I have seen

Lisa Stokke isn't too bad but is definetly second weakest Sarah (to Amy) but Kelly and Jenna are performers who are hard to beat as they were fantastic particularly Jenna.

I think Norman is a fantastic Sky think he is very strong in all areas and think he is the 2nd best Sky.

I personally think their strongest cast was Nigel Harman, Nigel Lindsay, Jenna Russel, and Lynsey Britton (baring in mind I never saw the cast with Ewan McGreggor, but have seen all casts since)

I think the final cast is also weak and could be alot better, but pretty much all previous leads are busy with other projects and I guess it isn't worth training anyone new for such a short period. I'm sure the last show will be fantastic and can't wait to go although it will be sad to see it go.

#9 renthead

renthead

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 06:44 PM

I have to agree with what most of Tanya has said.
I've seen Lisa a couple of times now and although she's grown the part she's not the strongest Sarahs although she does have a good chemistry with Ben Richards.  I loved Jenna's Sarah too much that not much compares.
Norman is one of the best Skys I have seen and has managed to adapt and work well with every Sarah and I think he has a voice to die for.
I haven't see Don so I can't comment but I don't think much can beat Douglas Hodge or Nigel Lindsay.
Samantha is fantastic as Adelaide and after seeing Claire Sweeneys poor interpretation afew too many times it was nice to see Sam again.
It's just a shame it's finishing in the WE but next stop the tour, and Jonathan Wilkes & Brian Capron...hope they manage to fill them boots OK

#10 xTanyax

xTanyax

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Interests:Singing, dancing, acting, musicals, trampolining, spending time with friends.

Posted 27 March 2007 - 11:18 PM

I would quite like to see Brian Capron I am interested to see Sean Williamson as Nathan I can't imagin hm doing too great a job but you never know.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users