- - - - -

Some like it hot

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_TerryLondon_*

Guest_TerryLondon_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2007 - 05:19 PM

Heard that "Some like it hot" the musical is coming to the westend this autumn.
Anyone else heard anything about this?

#2 Marlowe

Marlowe

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 06:28 PM

QUOTE(TerryLondon @ Feb 14 2007, 05:19 PM) View Post
Heard that "Some like it hot" the musical is coming to the westend this autumn.
Anyone else heard anything about this?

Oh I hope not.  For those who don't know it - its called Sugar.....and apart from the very amusing set ups that are the same as the film, the music is awful.  One to avoid - well, one that I will avoid!!

#3 Terry

Terry

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 06:44 PM

forgot to say there a full page ad for it in the oliver awards brochure.
website is www.somelikeithotthemusical.com but not much on it at moment

#4 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2007 - 09:03 PM

There was a Musical Version some year's ago, called SOME LIKE IT HOT . The old brain seems to associate it with Tommy Steel.

#5 Matthew Winn

Matthew Winn

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2898 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 09:14 PM

QUOTE(Guest @ Feb 14 2007, 09:03 PM) View Post
There was a Musical Version some year's ago, called SOME LIKE IT HOT . The old brain seems to associate it with Tommy Steel.

I saw it. Riveting ... is just one of the things I'd rather have been doing than sitting through this painful production. The show was so bad that in the programmes for subsequent shows at the same theatre the section about the theatre's history described it thus: "Better to draw a veil over ... Some Like It Hot".

Last year I was crew on a production of Sugar. The memory of Tommy Steele's performance hit me with full force. Oh, the pain! The pain!
I have always hated eggs. I remember back when I was a sperm I tried to head-butt one. It did not end well.

#6 Tintin

Tintin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 07:57 AM

I think that both Sugar and Some Like It Hot were actually the same show, based on the movie. The score is highly forgettable and, if I remember rightly, the show with Tommy Steele had dreadful reviews. Surely there are loads of better shows to revive in the West End.

#7 Guest_achilles_*

Guest_achilles_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 February 2007 - 09:37 AM

QUOTE(Tintin @ Feb 15 2007, 07:57 AM) View Post
I think that both Sugar and Some Like It Hot were actually the same show, based on the movie. The score is highly forgettable and, if I remember rightly, the show with Tommy Steele had dreadful reviews. Surely there are loads of better shows to revive in the West End.

yes a hideous production. Was it a Harold Fielding production. The casting of Tommy Steel upset the balance of the whole piece. It made the two 'girls' unequal' and Sugar was distinctly overshadowed. Hideously designed...dazzlingly colourful, and of course we do like the black and white but even so. I believe there are various versions of the show in existence. The Londond show was based on sugar but actually called Some Like It Hot. Steele was injured (did he jump or was he pushed?) and the show never recovered without him.

#8 wds

wds

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 11:28 AM

QUOTE(achilles @ Feb 15 2007, 09:37 AM) View Post
yes a hideous production. Was it a Harold Fielding production. The casting of Tommy Steel upset the balance of the whole piece. It made the two 'girls' unequal' and Sugar was distinctly overshadowed. Hideously designed...dazzlingly colourful, and of course we do like the black and white but even so. I believe there are various versions of the show in existence. The Londond show was based on sugar but actually called Some Like It Hot. Steele was injured (did he jump or was he pushed?) and the show never recovered without him.

Its reportedly " West End Bound" ... Basically in hope that when the tour is near to an end a theatre becomes available for it. Nothing is penciled/penned yet at all.

#9 Florence Vassy

Florence Vassy

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 07:45 AM

QUOTE(wds @ Feb 16 2007, 11:28 AM) View Post
Its reportedly " West End Bound" ... Basically in hope that when the tour is near to an end a theatre becomes available for it. Nothing is penciled/penned yet at all.

Oh my! sad.gif

#10 Matthew Winn

Matthew Winn

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2898 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 09:23 AM

QUOTE(wds @ Feb 16 2007, 11:28 AM) View Post

Yeah, but if all the shows that claimed to be heading for the West End actually made it there'd need to be so many theatres in London that there'd be no room for the streets.
I have always hated eggs. I remember back when I was a sperm I tried to head-butt one. It did not end well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users