#1 maddy

maddy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 09:48 AM

Hi there!
Last August in the Edinburgh Fringe Festival I discovered one amazing musical that now is transfering to the Jermyn Street Theatre: OVER THE THRESHOLD. It's one of the best musicals I've seen recently (and I use to see everything!!).
Please, don't hesitate in booking tickets (only 10 Pounds!). It has a limited run from 22nd Setember to 3rd October.

Here you can find an interview with Christopher Hamilton, the author of the musical:
http://www.todomusicales.com/content/conte...id_content=1474

#2 Guest_anonymzzzzzzzzzzzzz_*

Guest_anonymzzzzzzzzzzzzz_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 September 2009 - 12:15 PM

QUOTE(maddy @ Sep 14 2009, 09:48 AM) View Post
Last August in the Edinburgh Fringe Festival I discovered one amazing musical that now is transfering to the Jermyn Street Theatre: OVER THE THRESHOLD. It's one of the best musicals I've seen recently (and I use to see everything!!).

Saw this last night and found it professional but bland.  Bland characters, by the (JRB/Scott Allan) book score.  I wasn't feverishly checking my watch, but 75 minutes was enough.  Two acts would have been duller than dishwater.

#3 *Laura*

*Laura*

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 03:32 PM

I'm going on Sunday and quite looking forward to it really. Followed with Chris through his progression with this show. Finally got it where it's going to get the attention, hopefully people will enjoy it smile.gif

#4 Guest_Muso_*

Guest_Muso_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 September 2009 - 03:37 PM

Hmmm... I really liked it. I thought the cast were fab, especially the women. For what I paid you can't really go wrong, and I thought it was a great alternative the glitzy West End shows. Can appreciate it's slightly "middle aged".... but not bland at all. Will be interesting to see what others make of it!

#5 cat123

cat123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3357 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 10:22 PM

I've known the songs for a while thanks to Dianne Pilkington, I'm going on Sunday too and am quite excited!!

#6 Dawnstar

Dawnstar

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 10:31 PM

I went on Wednesday & thought it was good. While it's not the sort of show that could take the West End by storm I really liked it as a 4-hander "chamber piece" - a million times better than the last 4-character show I saw, but then that was Too Close To The Sun! I thought the cast did an excellent job & very much enjoyed hearing them singing unmiked. They also did well keeping going when an audience member made loud & stupid remarks several times (thankfully an usher went and told him to be quiet after the third incident). The songs I enjoyed most were Helen French's solo about wanting to be a wife & Helen and Madalena Alberto's argumentative duet (sorry, I don't know what the songs are properly called). I have seen both Helen and Madalena in other shows previously so it was lovely seeing them again. I would quite like to see the show again - without the "noises off"! - but unfortunately can't as I'm on holiday for the rest of its run so I hope it gets other productions in the future.

#7 Guest_Guest_Gazza_*_*

Guest_Guest_Gazza_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 September 2009 - 08:54 AM

QUOTE(Dawnstar @ Sep 25 2009, 10:31 PM) View Post
I went on Wednesday & thought it was good. While it's not the sort of show that could take the West End by storm I really liked it as a 4-hander "chamber piece" - a million times better than the last 4-character show I saw, but then that was Too Close To The Sun! I thought the cast did an excellent job & very much enjoyed hearing them singing unmiked. They also did well keeping going when an audience member made loud & stupid remarks several times (thankfully an usher went and told him to be quiet after the third incident). The songs I enjoyed most were Helen French's solo about wanting to be a wife & Helen and Madalena Alberto's argumentative duet (sorry, I don't know what the songs are properly called). I have seen both Helen and Madalena in other shows previously so it was lovely seeing them again. I would quite like to see the show again - without the "noises off"! - but unfortunately can't as I'm on holiday for the rest of its run so I hope it gets other productions in the future.

I was pretty disappointed after all the hype.  Yes the songs are quite tuneful and the female performers are good.  It's let down by painfully banal dialogue and an insipid performance by Kieran Brown - not to mention a shiny ill-fitting suit worn by Trevor Jary. Kieran and Helen's scenes reminded me of a bad day at the Crossroads Motel.  I went Friday evening and the audience reaction was pretty muted.

#8 *Laura*

*Laura*

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 05:38 PM

I saw the show on Sunday and loved it! I love small and intimate productions where it's just a piano and raw talent on the stage. About 20 people in the audience and I felt like I was a part of it.

Haven't seen/heard it since the changes have been made. And especially in a few of the songs with the lyrics changes - was still lovely to note them though.

Helen and Madalena's "Women Like You" was the highlight I think, and Helen singing "Somebody's Wife" - so much passion and enthusiasm in a performance is delightful to see.

For 10 this show is certainly a bargain. Really really glad I got to see it this time around smile.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users