• This topic is locked This topic is locked
15 replies to this topic

#1 hedgehog

hedgehog

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 06:39 PM

Excellent new board and easy to use. One quibble - are duplicated threads going to be merged? There already seem to be quite a few. Might it be easiest for the WOS team to set up threads for the major shows - Wicked, Spamalot, Equus etc so that there's no need for a million new threads to be started everytime someone wants to know about day seats or who is playing Elphaba at the moment  or whatever? Duplicated threads were the bane of the old board - I'd be sorry to see this whizzy new one go the same way.

#2 Guest_Skylight_*

Guest_Skylight_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2007 - 06:50 PM

I second the view that mods should merge duplicate threads, unless they get really long when it can be beneficial to break up topics.

#3 Matthew Winn

Matthew Winn

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2898 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 09:39 PM

I'm not sure that it's possible to merge threads. I can find no reference to it in the manual for the forum software. (Anyone who's interested can download the manual from Invision's web site, though it's really only comprehensible to techies.)
I have always hated eggs. I remember back when I was a sperm I tried to head-butt one. It did not end well.

#4 hedgehog

hedgehog

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 10:06 PM

Yes, you can according to the summary at the  Invision feature list. Though at the moment it really isn't difficult to glance down a single page of topics and see what threads are already there.

#5 Guest_Skylight_*

Guest_Skylight_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2007 - 10:43 PM

QUOTE(Matthew Winn @ Feb 14 2007, 09:39 PM) View Post
I'm not sure that it's possible to merge threads. I can find no reference to it in the manual for the forum software. (Anyone who's interested can download the manual from Invision's web site, though it's really only comprehensible to techies.)

Thank you for telling me that - otherwise I may have been tempted to read the guide myself. When hell freezes over.  biggrin.gif

#6 Guest_Skylight_*

Guest_Skylight_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 February 2007 - 05:39 PM

I don't want to duplicate threads so I'll just use this one -

Why are people still duplicating threads? !@%**!!! Look down the blooming page can't you. GRRRRRRRRRR

#7 Blue

Blue

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 11:00 PM

Separate threads set up for different shows might help so people know where to look to get information.

#8 Matthew Winn

Matthew Winn

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2898 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 11:49 PM

QUOTE(Blue @ Feb 15 2007, 11:00 PM) View Post
Separate threads set up for different shows might help so people know where to look to get information.

If you mean pre-created threads, that wouldn't work. People don't look for existing threads at the moment, so they wouldn't look for pre-created ones either. The awkward fact is that most people don't bother to read anything before asking questions: they want to talk about something so they just post a new thread. (This is a cause for some amusement in the newsgroups for the Opera browser. We have frequent visits from lovers of the musical art form who advertise their productions in Opera's newsgroups, completely unaware that it's the wrong sort of opera because they haven't bothered to take even the most cursory of looks at the group before posting.)
I have always hated eggs. I remember back when I was a sperm I tried to head-butt one. It did not end well.

#9 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 04:36 AM

Isn't that what moderation is for? Politely reminding people that there is no need to start another thread on a subject when they'vealeady posted in a thread for that show?. Surely if there is a thread for a play, it should be fairly obvious that you don't need to start another just to ask a question about say, ticket prices. But without moderation, as you say, some people will never bother to read the names of existing threads.

While we're on the subject, it would be nice (or is this just me?) if thread titles could be spelled correctly. I know not everyone is good at spelling and that some people may be dyslexic, but is it that hard to keep textspeak out of the titles? But I could be alone in finding it hard to read and if more mistakes creep in, then searches won't be accurate and we'll be back to duplicated threads!

I post on a board that has pre-created threads, where duplicate threads are simply not allowed. Works absolutely fine because people take the trouble to check before they create a new thread and the mods give a gentle reminder when people forget (and merge the two threads).

#10 Polly's dolly

Polly's dolly

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 08:31 AM

A sub-forum for each of the most popular (or all shows, depending on how far you wanted to go with it) would help. Then at least all the threads about a particular production would be in one area.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users