6 replies to this topic

#1 Charlotte

Charlotte

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 01:48 PM

There have been many rumours about Rent coming to the west end, but no one has really said anything recently about it. I think it is but I don't know, so i wondered if any of you lot out there know the answer!

#2 Wickalot Q

Wickalot Q

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 04:47 PM

Sorry dont know the answer, but would love to see it in the West End

#3 renthead

renthead

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 05:41 PM

Last I heard they had put rehearsals back due to it now not being at Trafalgar Studios and they're still trying to find a venue for it

#4 Charlotte

Charlotte

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 09:06 AM

ah right, thank you, it seems its confused everyone! yeah I had heard about it being at trafalgar studios and then everything went quiet, I think it would be good at the chocolate factory, it needs a small venue, i dont think it would work in a big theatre. hope they find a venue quick, it would be good to bring it back

#5 abi_la_diva

abi_la_diva

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 09:52 PM

I love rent an dI would really love to see it live. The music is amazing.
I will be rainbow high!

Because I knew you.. I have been changed for good

As someone told me lately everyone deserves a chance to fly![color=#800080]

Kerry Ellis IS Elphaba

#6 Belle

Belle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
  • Interests:Musical theatre, costumes, shiny things

Posted 31 March 2007 - 12:12 AM

I've only ever seen Rent in moderately large theatres, and it works fine...  I'd love to see it in a smaller venue - but I'd think it needs to be a size up from the Chocolate Factory, given the number of ensemble required for the part singing.

The thing that terrifies me about this new production is the rumours of drastic re-writing, setting it in contemporary London?!?  As the movie showed, if you screw around with Rent it doesn't work.  Keeping it close to the original works.  I'm not a rabid Rent-head who goes "OMGWTFBBQ! YOU CAN'T HAVE THE DOOR STAGE-RIGHT!!!  IT'S NOT WHAT JONATHAN WANTED!!!"  But I can't stand changing something that works just for the sake of making changes.  Rent on Broadway works (for the most, I don't mind losing the parachute-games) and there's no reason to update a perfect period piece.  It's NOT contemporary.  Just because it's only set 15 years in the past doesn't mean that that historical setting should be abandoned.

*edit* thought occurs to me - I want to see Rent in the New London theatre.  Especially if they reverted to the Cats-style layout, with the gantry seating, it could merge the auditorium and set very nicely, really draw the audience in to the action...
###Belle###

#7 ennika

ennika

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 March 2007 - 10:07 AM

How big is the Chocolate Factory? Smallest venue I've seen the show at was the English Theatre in Frankfurt (seats about 300), which was amazing. The show only really needs 12 actors (at least on a small stage). Rent in London needs Matthew White to direct it, that's all smile.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users