#31 Polly1

Polly1

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 04 November 2009 - 12:00 PM

QUOTE(applesarenice @ Nov 3 2009, 02:15 PM) View Post
I agree with most of what has been said already in this thread, it's old-school for sure, but highly entertaining with it.  Troughton was the stand-out for me, and I also really enjoyed Mark Dexter's sardonic journalist.  The only bum note for me was the use of the monkey, I didn't feel it added any value to the production and it looked desperately unhappy, clutching at the leash on its neck all the time it was onstage.  I'm not even a particular animal lover, but I just felt it was unnecessary.  That aside, highly recommended (and on a related note you should go see the film Creation as well)

Must have been a different monkey last night, the one I saw looked very 'chipper' - and adorable of course.
I have long been a huge fan of Troughton and he did not disappoint but Spacey was a revelation - I've never seen him on stage before and found him absolutely mesmerising (even with the 'Masculinity' walk!) A very satisfying evening and a special word of praise for Trevor Nunn's superb direction - all his trade-mark large-cast brilliance and at well under 3 hours!!!!! smile.gif

#32 applesarenice

applesarenice

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts
  • Interests:Theatre!

Posted 04 November 2009 - 12:35 PM

The West End Whingers inform us that there are 3 monkeys in rotation!  Whether it looked happy or not though, I still question the need to have one in the show.

It was my first Spacey experience too (on the stage at least) and I was also v impressed.
Don't bother, I'm here...
http://oughttobeclowns.blogspot.com

#33 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5142 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 11:24 PM

I really liked this. This is just the kind of thing I always thought the Old Vic should be doing - American classics that we wouldn't normally see. Kev, as usual, a stormer and wasn't Troughton good? Also I loved Mark Dexter as the journalist, very well done. I loved the songs and the way the crowd was handled- a true touch of golden Nunn. And I loved that the play was 'relevant' in an intelligent and witty way.  Bravo.

#34 Jan Brock

Jan Brock

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2756 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 09:54 AM

QUOTE(Lynette @ Nov 7 2009, 11:24 PM) View Post
I loved the songs and the way the crowd was handled- a true touch of golden Nunn.

You are right, whatever else you think of him he is absolutely unmatched in handling crowds of people on stage - I recall a crowd scene in his "Love's Labour's Lost" which was a fleeting moment of absolute genius - not a crowd but a collection of genuine individuals all interacting with their neighbours.

#35 Trev

Trev

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 11:01 AM

QUOTE(Jan Brock @ Nov 9 2009, 09:54 AM) View Post
You are right, whatever else you think of him he is absolutely unmatched in handling crowds of people on stage - I recall a crowd scene in his "Love's Labour's Lost" which was a fleeting moment of absolute genius - not a crowd but a collection of genuine individuals all interacting with their neighbours.

My one "bad" experience of a Nunn crowd was An Enemy of the People - sitting on the side shelf of the stalls I found it rather perturbing to have a "crowd" standing next to me in the aisle muttering in a broad Australian accent "yeah, get 'im, get 'im yeah, yeah etc etc" and his neighbour giggling and nodding in return. Completely took me out of the small Scandinavian town which I had happily been inhabiting....

#36 Jan Brock

Jan Brock

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2756 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 12:41 PM

QUOTE(Trev @ Nov 9 2009, 11:01 AM) View Post
My one "bad" experience of a Nunn crowd was An Enemy of the People - sitting on the side shelf of the stalls I found it rather perturbing to have a "crowd" standing next to me in the aisle muttering in a broad Australian accent "yeah, get 'im, get 'im yeah, yeah etc etc" and his neighbour giggling and nodding in return. Completely took me out of the small Scandinavian town which I had happily been inhabiting....

Ah yes, that really was Trev in "Cecil B. DeMille mode" wasn't it ? (as Mickey Billington somewhat waspishly said of some recent Trev production that he couldn't find anything else about to dislike - "Cyrano" I think)

#37 Weez

Weez

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2632 posts
  • Interests:Theatre. :D

Posted 09 November 2009 - 10:00 PM

Brilliantly solid production of an ageing but still relevant and entertaining play. The monkey seemed absolutely fine (and I believe the Broadway production had a chap in a gorilla suit, so if you can get a real monkey without causing it any distress, then DEFINITELY go for it; I'm sure you could cut the monkey out, as it's not strictly integral to the play, but it's certainly very beneficial to the whole point of the play), and the rest of the cast were too. I did have a moment of unintentional laughter at the line about "everyone within the sound of this boy's voice" 'cos I couldn't hear a frickin' thing Howard was saying, but that was really the only negative. I thought the singing was beautifully done and didn't slow things down at all, proving instead very effective as a place-setter.

Definitely see it if you can, but take earphones and listen to your own music right up until the lights dimming if you get annoyed by people endlessly trying to work out why the ticket prices are all different, like there isn't a PILLAR in front of the 15 seats, or the 25 seats aren't way off to the sides while the 35 seats are more central!

(Yeah, sometimes I don't have much patience with fellow theatre-goers. I also REALLY don't understand how people can fail to sit in the right seats! Give every member of your party their own ticket, make sure you're in the right section, then the right row (front row is A and it all goes in alphabetical order back from there), then the right seat (and every one has a little number on it)! How is that so freakin' DIFFICULT? O_O)

Notes from the Earlham Street Gutter
http://earlhamstreet...r.blogspot.com/

#38 Isis

Isis

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 01:40 PM

QUOTE(Weez @ Nov 9 2009, 10:00 PM) View Post
(Yeah, sometimes I don't have much patience with fellow theatre-goers. I also REALLY don't understand how people can fail to sit in the right seats! Give every member of your party their own ticket, make sure you're in the right section, then the right row (front row is A and it all goes in alphabetical order back from there), then the right seat (and every one has a little number on it)! How is that so freakin' DIFFICULT? O_O)

Thanks for giving me a giggle Weez.  I. too, am known for my frustration with some of my fellow theatre-goers.  Recently, I arrived at a central London theatre to find the woman behind me had put her coat on the back of my seat.  I assumed she would remove it when I sat down.  She didn't.  The following exchange took place:
Me (extremely politely): I'm so sorry, I didn't realise this was your seat.

Coat woman (with blank look): It's not, this is my seat.

Me (less politely): I see.  Then would you please remove your coat from the back of the seat I paid for?

Cue disgusted muttering, but she removed the coat.  smile.gif

Polly1, I agree with you about the film 'Creation'.  I saw it a few weeks ago & liked it very much.  Good perfs from Paul Bettany & Jennifer Connolly.

#39 Marius Pontmercy

Marius Pontmercy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 02:22 PM

Took my mum to see this a few days ago as she loves La Spacey and I was encouraged by the comments on here - glad I did, we both really enjoyed it, despite there being quite a few obnoxious chatterboxes sat near us! Sure, the play is a bit creaky in places, but lots of great lines and it could hardly be better served by this production. Trevor Nunn: forget musicals, stick to this kind of thing. As for the cast, David Troughton was marvellous - larger-than-life but also totally natural and believable, if that makes sense. By contrast, Kevin Spacey's performance was hardly naturalistic, but it was just as entertaining. I didn't mind his "old man acting" at all and thought the part was a good match for the type of humour he does so well. Agreed with the comments about the excellent set and supporting cast - with one exception - I didn't like the actor playing the journalist at all, he seemed a bit forced and his accent was one of the less convincing. But judging from the number of good reviews he's got here and elsewhere, maybe he was just having an "off" night. I also liked Sonya Cassidy as Rachel, I thought the singing worked very well, and the monkey was cute and obedient on the night I saw it

#40 MrsDoyle

MrsDoyle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 04:59 PM

QUOTE(Marius Pontmercy @ Dec 19 2009, 02:22 PM) View Post
Took my mum to see this a few days ago as she loves La Spacey

Can I adopt you Marius?? My sons never take me to the theatre let alone to see Spacey!!
Glad you enjoyed it, I loved it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users