4 replies to this topic

#1 theatre*fairy

theatre*fairy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 05:09 PM

Hi, I wondered if anyone could help me. You see i would love to get into acting(more stage work than film, tv etc) and ive been to college and done a drama and stage management course that lasted 2 years and came out with good grades. but i live in a tiny little town who have no decent drama groups to join. I was just wondering if people could tell me of any open auditions ,groups etc that you think would take on someone like me. Im more than willing to be the lowest of the low in any group etc, i just would love to get the experience as i think im going to be unable to go to drama school as i do not have the funds behind me. I really hope people can help me as im 19 and unemployed at the moment(do have a bit of money behind me though) and i thought its now or never to start looking into theatre.
Tommy: OK, very important. There are two types of women, type A and type B. You listenin'?
Frankie:  Yeah.
Tommy:OK, type A. They're real easy. Jump right into bed witcha. Then later on, they bust your balls. Type B. First, they play hard to get. Then later on, they bust your balls.
Frankie: I don't get it.
Tommy:Don't worry, you will.

#2 JWC

JWC

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 05:21 PM

Try clicking here or clicking here for starters. What sort of geographical area are you?

#3 theatre*fairy

theatre*fairy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 07:25 AM

I live in a small town called andover in hampshire...its absolutly rubbish!
Tommy: OK, very important. There are two types of women, type A and type B. You listenin'?
Frankie:  Yeah.
Tommy:OK, type A. They're real easy. Jump right into bed witcha. Then later on, they bust your balls. Type B. First, they play hard to get. Then later on, they bust your balls.
Frankie: I don't get it.
Tommy:Don't worry, you will.

#4 JWC

JWC

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 07:52 AM

Don't know the area that well so don't know how far away these are from you but what about
Haymarket in Basingstoke
Salisbury Playhouse
Watermill in Newbury (lovely little theatre)
I'm sure there will be other local compaanies on the websites on previous posting and one of them has a space where you can "advertise" your availability
Good luck with your search!

#5 Moose

Moose

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 03:21 PM

Hello theatre*fairy!
Have a look at The National Council for Drama Training [post="website"]http://www.ncdt.co.uk/[/post] (Hope the link worked!) There are lots of scholarships you could apply for as well.

The main thing is to keep active! Read plays, see plays, write plays (If you like) get a crap job. If you show that your interest in theatre is ongoing you'll have more of a chance of getting into drama school. Being up to date, with a broad knowledge of plays shows that you want to act, not be famous. If you can also say "I worked in a bar/pub/supermarket" to finance my studies you'll also prove you're willing to work hard, and accept that you'll have to do boring things in life. Most actors will have to supplement their income at some point so extra skills are always helpful!

But if acting is what you want to do, apply for drama school. Most theatres don't do placements for actors (as far as I know- someone correct me if I'm wrong) so I can't help there I'm afraid. The worst they can do is say no.

Best of luck! You'll have to set a blog to keep us all up-to-date!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users