• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 wansteadflats

wansteadflats

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 09:46 AM

Does anyone know anything about this? Is it a play or a musical have heard it might be coming to the West End?? If true can't wait love it!

#2 Ian

Ian

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • Interests:Theatre, cats and photography principally.

Posted 30 March 2007 - 09:51 AM

QUOTE(wansteadflats @ Mar 30 2007, 10:46 AM) View Post
Does anyone know anything about this? Is it a play or a musical have heard it might be coming to the West End?? If true can't wait love it!

It is a play, performed by a cast of three. Surprisingly true to the novel, it is also very funny. It is not unlike the style of The 39 Steps at the Criterion. Both started out at the West Yorks Playhouse. Worth catching - especially at the £20 all seats rate at the start of the Duchess run.
The engine roared, the motor hissed,
And who could see that the road would twist

#3 Marius

Marius

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 09:54 AM

QUOTE(wansteadflats @ Mar 30 2007, 10:46 AM) View Post

Its a farce in the same way as 39 Steps I believe. I love the story but not sure about it being a farce, but I also feel same way about 39 Steps - but everyone I know loves that one!

#4 smoke'n'mirrors

smoke'n'mirrors

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 12:07 PM

Its a classic Sherlock Holmes mystery. Not a farce.

#5 Marius

Marius

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 12:13 PM

QUOTE(smoke @ Mar 30 2007, 01:07 PM) View Post
Its a classic Sherlock Holmes mystery. Not a farce.

Yes but I thought it was changed into a comedy like 39 Steps has been done? so not a straight dramatic play as per the book.

Taken from Nimax Theatres website......

'A WONDERFULLY BARKING SPOOF…
brilliantly and infectiously funny’ Telegraph  
Sherlock Holmes in
The Hound Of The Baskervilles  
Adapted from the novel by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, by Peepolykus and Steven Canny
Cast: Javier Marzan, John Nicholson, Jason Thorpe
Directed by Orla O’Loughlin  

An ancient family curse, a desolate moor, a spectral hound and a deranged killer on the loose. The Hound of the Baskervilles is the most celebrated Sherlock Holmes story of all, a masterpiece of mystery and suspense.

And it’s scary...really, really scary. Tremble at the hellish howl of the Hell Hound, wonder at the twisty-turny plot and be amazed by Holmes' finest powers of deduction in this reinvigorating, terrifying and foggy new adaptation.

Over the past ten years, the award-winning company Peepolykus has received accolades from all over the world for its hilarious collision of verbal surprise and visual ingenuity. The actors take to the moors for this fast paced and thrilling production, in the hope that they will make it out of Grimpen Mire alive.

‘The most inventive and joyful act around’ Sunday Times

’Peepolykus are unfailingly hilarious’ Guardian

‘a gut-bustingly hilarious and liberatingly reckless brand of zaniness’ Times

‘Britain’s barmiest comedy trio...if they weren’t so funny they’d be locked up.’ Time Out

#6 Jake

Jake

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 12:36 PM

Someone mentioned that it's £20 in previews. A good price to pay for a three man show.

And after previews? Ah yes.. £17.50-£39. Call me a cynic, but how is this going to be attractive at that price?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users