• This topic is locked This topic is locked
26 replies to this topic

#1 wansteadflats

wansteadflats

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 31 March 2007 - 07:36 PM

If this was not being cast be tv who would people like to seein the lead. Lets be ambitious!

#2 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 31 March 2007 - 07:41 PM

I have no idea about that (not that it's a bad question but I don't know any young male musical theatre actors) but I'm looking forward to the first post insisting that Joseph can only be played by someone white!

#3 Marius

Marius

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 31 March 2007 - 07:59 PM

QUOTE(armadillo @ Mar 31 2007, 08:41 PM) View Post
I have no idea about that (not that it's a bad question but I don't know any young male musical theatre actors) but I'm looking forward to the first post insisting that Joseph can only be played by someone white!

Can be played by any race although I was sitting there thinking, if this were Jesus Christ Superstar they were casting would they dare cast a black jesus - can you imagine the christian uproar!

Anyways that aside I enjoyed it tonight, good entertainment - although how camp is the opening credits!!!  Only one maybe two potential Josephs I saw. The one they thought was David Beckham, then the guy who Denise fell in love with and kissed his picture - he was amazing I thought. I cant think of anyone really that would be good for Joseph. When I saw it on tour last year I thought Kieran Jae was vocally good enough and outshone H, but not sure bout the look, plus you need to have a good body (right or wrong its true) to play Joseph.

ALW does come off well in this programme I think, and i liked how he went to the place in Camden to source out people who wouldnt normally audition. The Phantom music everytime he comes on always make me laugh, the tv show is camp and tongue in cheek - but it works.  

The three at the end I thought had a bloody cheek!

One question - where are ALWs offices, I know its Covent Garden, but cant say ive ever noticed them?

#4 Matthew Winn

Matthew Winn

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2898 posts

Posted 31 March 2007 - 08:10 PM

Personally I'd be happy to see the job go to anyone whose audition was not along the lines of "I think Joseph is one of the greatest musicals ever" (simper), "if not the greatest" (grovel). "It's such an honour for me to be here" (wheedle) "and to be in the presence of such wonderfully talented people" (fawn, ingratiate).
I have always hated eggs. I remember back when I was a sperm I tried to head-butt one. It did not end well.

#5 Seriously

Seriously

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 31 March 2007 - 08:13 PM

QUOTE(armadillo @ Mar 31 2007, 07:41 PM) View Post

I'm just insisting it's only played by someone who can sing, hopefully better than most first year Arts Ed or Mountview students.  I find it hard to except that the guys shown tonight were the best 100 singers they could find!  I only really liked the guy who's already in Phantom!

#6 Alison

Alison

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 31 March 2007 - 08:31 PM

QUOTE(Marius @ Mar 31 2007, 08:59 PM) View Post
Anyways that aside I enjoyed it tonight, good entertainment - although how camp is the opening credits!!!  Only one maybe two potential Josephs I saw. The one they thought was David Beckham, then the guy who Denise fell in love with and kissed his picture - he was amazing I thought. I cant think of anyone really that would be good for Joseph. When I saw it on tour last year I thought Kieran Jae was vocally good enough and outshone H, but not sure bout the look, plus you need to have a good body (right or wrong its true) to play Joseph.

The guy Denise fell in love with is Lee Mead - he's currently in Phantom as u/s Raoul, and I saw him in Miss Saigon where he was Ramin Karimloo's u/s.  When I saw the clip of his first audition, I said that if it wasn't him it was someone who looked a heck of a like him - and sure enough, it was.  I've been told there's a professional actor in their final ten, so I'm choosing to believe it's probably him.

#7 JWC

JWC

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 31 March 2007 - 08:43 PM

QUOTE(Marius @ Mar 31 2007, 08:59 PM) View Post
The three at the end I thought had a bloody cheek!

I think it was the programme makers who had the cheek. Do they really think the public is gullible enough to think these three thought it up on their own? Amazing that there just happened to be a camera crew trailing them when they went to ALW's "office" (if indeed it was) and that an accompianist also seemed to be conveniently on hand. Having avoided "Maria" like the plague I thought perhaps I was being unfair and that I should give this a whirl. Should have trusted my first instinct. Was AWL planning to revive Josph anyway or is this simply a way to get free advertsing for a number of weeks? Simply can't wait for next week when both main TV channels are engaging in this sort of nonsense!

#8 xTanyax

xTanyax

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Interests:Singing, dancing, acting, musicals, trampolining, spending time with friends.

Posted 31 March 2007 - 08:54 PM

I also thought that the end 3 obviously didn't just decide to do it there way of creating a bit of drama. I didn't think many of them were particularly talented I also like the guy who Denise liked but him already being slightly established seems to defeat the object slightly

#9 samo

samo

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 31 March 2007 - 10:35 PM

I caught most of it this evening, and it's Camp and Christmas! Very tongue-in-cheek! And ALW generally looks alrite out of it, I think.

However some parts are just so horribly contrived its cringe worthy. That bit at the end with all three of them just turning up at Andrew's offices, and 'Andrew' despairing watching the audition tapes ("in his own home"), the 'pushy' girlfriend etc. etc. is just embarrassing. Otherwise a quite comical program.

As for actual talent, I saw hardly any on tonights program, I disagreed with lots of the judging. It is an interesting, and useful, concept to have them sing unaccompanied, I think. The only one who was great (in my books) was the one who's currently in phantom, could it be another 'Maria' where the final Joseph actually ends up being a MT professional...

x

#10 hollygolightly

hollygolightly

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 31 March 2007 - 11:14 PM

Did anyone else spot Daniel Boys (who's been in Rent, Grease etc...) or was it just me seeing things?!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users