79 replies to this topic

#1 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5139 posts

Posted 31 March 2007 - 11:17 PM

It is very , very good. Clear, well paced, beautifully directed and no tricksy updating; set cleverly in a Russian inspired crumbling palace where guns and swords can co exist; Ian MK excellent. Spontaneous standing ovation and I reckon they'll get that for every performance. I can't remember the last standing ovation at the RSC. King Lear, the play, has plenty to say about our world and the Elizabethan world it emeged from and I found this production conveyed all this. [It ended efficiently at 10.30.]

#2 Jan Brock

Jan Brock

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2756 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 07:48 AM

QUOTE(Lynette @ Apr 1 2007, 12:17 AM) View Post
It is very , very good. Clear, well paced, beautifully directed and no tricksy updating; set cleverly in a Russian inspired crumbling palace where guns and swords can co exist; Ian MK excellent. Spontaneous standing ovation and I reckon they'll get that for every performance. I can't remember the last standing ovation at the RSC. King Lear, the play, has plenty to say about our world and the Elizabethan world it emeged from and I found this production conveyed all this. [It ended efficiently at 10.30.]

Expectations have been so high for this production that it is good to know they have been fulfilled. Let's see what the critics say (though of course we can guess now that MB will be unconvinced)

#3 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5139 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 12:21 PM

Jan, my dear, how can you value the critics' opinions above mine? Whatever they say, don't let them put you off seeing a remarkable production.

#4 Jan Brock

Jan Brock

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2756 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 06:42 AM

QUOTE(Lynette @ Apr 1 2007, 01:21 PM) View Post
Jan, my dear, how can you value the critics' opinions above mine? Whatever they say, don't let them put you off seeing a remarkable production.

I don't. I accept your opinion. I am only interested in the reaction of certain critics to see what gymnastics they have to go through to avoid praising a Trevor Nunn Shakespeare productions that (almost) everyone else (especially audiences) like - the Old Vic Richard II and Hamlet were recent examples. I have, of course, already booked to see this production.

#5 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 09:45 AM

Michael Billington gave Richard II three stars which I thought was about right. It was a good workmanlike production but certainly not outstanding except in any way except for Spacey's excellent performance (which Billington praised).

#6 Jan Brock

Jan Brock

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2756 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 11:37 AM

QUOTE(armadillo @ Apr 2 2007, 10:45 AM) View Post
Michael Billington gave Richard II three stars which I thought was about right. It was a good workmanlike production but certainly not outstanding except in any way except for Spacey's excellent performance (which Billington praised).

You are entitled to your opinion, of course, but the fact that it won the Whatsonstage Award for "Outstanding Shakespearean Production" of the year (in addition to Spacey getting assorted acting awards) indicates that many do not agree. In any event, let's see what MB says this time - he might confound me by NOT having the most negative opinion from amongst the major critics, but I doubt it.

#7 Alexandra

Alexandra

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1779 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 01:56 PM

Oh, please, Jan. Richard II won the WOS award, as Kevin Spacey did, because there are thousands of Kevin Spacey fans all over America who voted for it despite not having seen it! I'm sorry, but winning the WOS award means precisely nothing in terms of merit.

Like armadillo, I personally thought it was a 3 star production with a 3.5 to 4 star performance from Spacey.

#8 Jan Brock

Jan Brock

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2756 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 06:57 AM

QUOTE(Alexandra @ Apr 2 2007, 02:56 PM) View Post
Oh, please, Jan. Richard II won the WOS award, as Kevin Spacey did, because there are thousands of Kevin Spacey fans all over America who voted for it despite not having seen it! I'm sorry, but winning the WOS award means precisely nothing in terms of merit.

Like armadillo, I personally thought it was a 3 star production with a 3.5 to 4 star performance from Spacey.

I always like a conspiracy theory - any facts to back it up ?

Anyway, it seems the critics will not be reviewing King Lear for a long time now, probably just before it closes, which strikes me as the perfect arrangement for something which is sold-out anyway.

#9 Alexandra

Alexandra

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1779 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 12:46 PM

QUOTE(Jan Brock @ Apr 3 2007, 07:57 AM) View Post
I always like a conspiracy theory - any facts to back it up ?

Yes: I gave you the facts. You probably mean do I have any evidence. Yes, I do, but short of calling one of my friends (an American Kevin Spacey fan) as a witness, you'll have to take my word for it. Or not. It's obvious, anyway - are you really not aware that whenever an actor with a fan site is nominated for anything depending on an internet vote, the injunction to vote goes round the constituency? That's why well-known people tend to win internet votes even if they were quite hopeless, including the WOS awards, and why they are worth so little (albeit that they're fun, so why not?)

#10 Alexandra

Alexandra

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1779 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 01:36 PM

Incidentally they are doing a running feature on this production on Radio 4's Today programme - there are lots of interviews, clips etc at http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/today/reports/..._20070404.shtml

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users