79 replies to this topic

#41 Snout

Snout

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 12:18 PM

How come Greer was able to review it but the mainstream theatre critics can't? The RSC press office won't be very happy!

#42 Duncan

Duncan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 01:20 PM

She's not a full-time theatre critic. So just like anyone else, there was nothing stopping her buying a ticket, seeing the production and then writing her opinion of it. The main critics like Billington keep the 'rules' whereby they turn up for a specific press night enabling all the critics review the same performance that the company knows is going to form the basis of the print media comment. Greer isn't part of that club and so isn't bound by the same rules.

#43 richard

richard

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 03:01 PM

angry.gif
The delayed Press Night for Lear and The Seagull has not been a very satisfactory solution for the situation after Frances Barber's indisposition.  As both will now take place on 31 May - matinee of Lear, then the Seagull - it will be interesting to see whether this puts some critics in a foul mood.  I certainly wouldn't want to see the Seagull after a matinee of Lear, from a point of view of stamina.  It's not all that fair on the actors either.  Wouldn't be surprised if there are some more curmudgeonly reviews la Greer.  I have seen both productions and they are certainly responsible, interesting enterprises, without the kind of maverick angles that proclaim the ego of the director.  But I wouldn't be surprised if they do not get the recognition they perhaps deserve.

#44 coated peanuts

coated peanuts

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 10:24 PM

QUOTE(Greer article)
no one - not the director, not an actor - dares rely on the words. Instead they act

Yes, I too get irritated when actors act. Whatever next?

#45 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5140 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 04:15 PM

QUOTE(Job @ May 7 2007, 11:29 AM) View Post
Lynette, you are now officially a national theatre critic. (The Observer yesterday)

http://arts.guardian.co.uk/theatre/drama/s...2073666,00.html

I expect to see you quoted in full on the hoardings (or the 'marquee', as some cool, look-at-my-in-the-know-jargon dude had it on this board a few months back).

Job

Job, thanks for directing me to that, most amusing. [Sorry to reply late, am v busy organising daughter's wedding.] I'll charge if they put me up on hoardings! I'm going to see The Seagull in July so will post then and try to outdo my own critical brilliance.

#46 David

David

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 08:18 PM

QUOTE(Lynette @ May 9 2007, 05:15 PM) View Post
Job, thanks for directing me to that, most amusing. [Sorry to reply late, am v busy organising daughter's wedding.] I'll charge if they put me up on hoardings! I'm going to see The Seagull in July so will post then and try to outdo my own critical brilliance.

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/theatre/2007/0...len_as_kin.html

You're a regular contributor now- twice in a week! And coated peanuts, your royalties ought to be in the post by now.

#47 Duncan

Duncan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 10:44 PM

More on this:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6648081.stm

#48 Job

Job

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 511 posts
Posted 12 May 2007 - 06:32 AM

Congratulations Lynette on your daughter's wedding. Brilliant news. (Can't wait to get my two off my hands...)

Back on topic... I'm probably not going to make it to this Lear, alas, but I can't help wondering how Melanie Jessop manages to crawl on stage night after night given the de facto slap in the face she keeps getting from Nunn and the RSC. Personally, if I could make it to Stratford I'd go out of my way to see Ms Jessop in the role rather than FB. It's the least she deserves.

Job
With the ancient is wisdom; and in length of days understanding.

#49 Jan Brock

Jan Brock

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2756 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 08:36 AM

I find it very amusing that the critics are complaining about not being able to see this - it makes up for all the occasions when I have been unable to get tickets for sold-out productions. My question to them is this - as this production is totally sold out, and will be when it transfers to London - what is the point of having the critics review it at all ? Despite the claims that audiences are "puzzled" by the lack of reviews, in fact I don't need a critic to validate my view of whether a production is good or bad.  Can anyone come up with a single reason why in this particular case there is a need for a critic to see it ?

#50 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 09:02 AM

So all the people who didn't manage to get tickets can read about it from trusted sources? Not everyone reads messageboards and while I don't always agree with individual critics, I am interested to read their opinions and usually can judge whether to take them seriously or not. I don't particularly want to see this production but I'd like to know more about it.

Surely it's no different from reading a tv critic on a show you've missed. I never miss Nancy Banks-Smith's column even though she often reviews shows I never watch because she's always funny and insightful. Samewith concert reviews - you could ask what the point of them is. Some people feel the same about theatre reviews - surely you don't only read reviews of shows you've seen or intend to see.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users