josh

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 741 posts
  • Interests:theatre, movies, actors, acting, directing

Posted 12 May 2007 - 01:11 PM

QUOTE(Job @ May 12 2007, 07:32 AM) View Post
I can't help wondering how Melanie Jessop manages to crawl on stage night after night given the de facto slap in the face she keeps getting from Nunn and the RSC.

I'd think that getting to play two great parts she wouldn't have otherwise had the chance at, at the RSC with Ian McK, would be enough incentive!
He used to call me Blue Roses.

#52 Job

Job

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 511 posts
Posted 12 May 2007 - 10:49 PM

QUOTE(josh @ May 12 2007, 02:11 PM) View Post
I'd think that getting to play two great parts she wouldn't have otherwise had the chance at, at the RSC with Ian McK, would be enough incentive!

Maybe so, but Nunn and the RSC management clearly don't have much faith in her. Or, to put it another way, they have an utterly juvenile belief in the potency of star casting. (Star actor = best actor? Discuss.)

I've never been a fan of Frances Barber anyway, but I realise that separates me from received wisdom. She was a wretched Eliza in the NT's Pygmalion ten years back, and I've never seen her imbue any performance with tenderness or warmth. Those qualities seem completely beyond her. Oh well - call it a blind spot if you like. Not much tenderness or warmth in Goneril anyway.

Job

With the ancient is wisdom; and in length of days understanding.

#53 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5131 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 11:21 PM

Jan, when is Lear transferring to London?  I heard it is going on a world tour and not coming to London straightaway. I would like to book tix for family if it comes to London - have had no indication from RSC publicity.

#54 Jan Brock

Jan Brock

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2756 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 09:35 AM

QUOTE(Lynette @ May 13 2007, 12:21 AM) View Post
Jan, when is Lear transferring to London?  I heard it is going on a world tour and not coming to London straightaway. I would like to book tix for family if it comes to London - have had no indication from RSC publicity.

It is coming immediately after the world tour is over so you can work it out - I think (not sure) this is around October. It will be interesting to see what venue they will use - there will be an announcement on this at some point (of course via a press release rather than a communication to RSC members).

#55 Emcee

Emcee

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 05:10 PM

Do we know for sure if it will do London? Picking a venue could be interesting.

Anyone know whether Frances Barber has returned yet?

#56 richard

richard

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 06:10 PM

QUOTE(Emcee @ May 17 2007, 06:10 PM) View Post

How about the Barbican, the best London venue the RSC ever had?

#57 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5131 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 10:54 PM

No, no, no, no, Barbican worst venue RSC ever had. It's a deserted vast , sloping elephant of a place with no atmosphere at all and such a wide stage that you spend half the time moving your head from side to side like at a tennis match. It is a gaping hole of a theatre and not at all suitable to convey the wonderful narrative and subtlety of this current Lear production.

#58 Jan Brock

Jan Brock

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2756 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 01:22 PM

Yes, we know for sure it will transfer.

I agree about Barbican being best but that would result in loss of face for RSC. The the only rumour I have heard is the Roundhouse.

#59 richard

richard

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 02:24 PM

QUOTE(Jan Brock @ May 18 2007, 02:22 PM) View Post
Yes, we know for sure it will transfer.

I agree about Barbican being best but that would result in loss of face for RSC. The the only rumour I have heard is the Roundhouse.

The Barbican was a fabulous venue and the RSC's peremptory departure from it a stain on the company's recent history, financially reprehensible, and more than discourteous to the City of London, who did so much to create what the RSC wanted in the first place.

It was accessible, comfortable, good views even from the cheaper seats, and one could park safely.  Roundhouse - you must be joking.  The RSC core audience is not going 'up North' to that over-rated venue, wondering if their hub caps are safe on their cars for the evening.  (This very clear from websites after the RSC's financially disastrous last visit there.)  Get  real!

#60 Alnoor

Alnoor

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 03:11 PM

Frances Barber has returned but is only doing certain performances--could not find out which ones

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users