4 replies to this topic

#1 samsam1985

samsam1985

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 08:57 AM

Oh Dear Lord... where to start... the worst production I have ever seen.

We were promised "a night of horror and Grand Guignol"... we got a night of BOREDOM and grand crap!

First play started well... dark, eerie but just dragged on and on with no tension being built. not much horror here.

Second play (Mark Ravenhill) was just a disaster. Irrelevant, convoluted, ridiculous. The highlight was someone in the audience going for a loo break and coming back near the end. I should have followed him out and left!

Third play - BORING. Again, not much horror or grand guignol. Everyone (including myself) slept through this one so cant tell you much about it.

Fourth play - probably the highlight of a weird and wasted evening.

If you want decent horror, go and see Saw 6 which is out in cinemas soon and dont waste time on this rubbish.

AVOID AVOID AVOID.

#2 Guest_Mr Huffenpuff_*

Guest_Mr Huffenpuff_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 October 2009 - 09:10 AM

QUOTE(samsam1985 @ Oct 8 2009, 08:57 AM) View Post
Oh Dear Lord... where to start... the worst production I have ever seen.

We were promised "a night of horror and Grand Guignol"... we got a night of BOREDOM and grand crap!

First play started well... dark, eerie but just dragged on and on with no tension being built. not much horror here.

Second play (Mark Ravenhill) was just a disaster. Irrelevant, convoluted, ridiculous. The highlight was someone in the audience going for a loo break and coming back near the end. I should have followed him out and left!

Third play - BORING. Again, not much horror or grand guignol. Everyone (including myself) slept through this one so cant tell you much about it.

Fourth play - probably the highlight of a weird and wasted evening.

If you want decent horror, go and see Saw 6 which is out in cinemas soon and dont waste time on this rubbish.

AVOID AVOID AVOID.

Oh dear . . . I'm going this evening. My expectations are well and truely lowered!

#3 Guest_moakes_*

Guest_moakes_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 October 2009 - 09:38 AM

THE WORST SHOW EVER!!....

I dont think i have seen such stage CRAP in 25yrs of my life!!! what was the director trying to tell the audience??!! what was this play about, why was it so confusing, why, why why, why??.... i must say the best thing about the show is when i managed to drink GOOD cheap house wine! price of the wine was brill... they even take card transaction for 3.00.. oh wait?.. im suppose to write about the show??...

DO NOT!!! GO AND WASTE YOUR MONEY, rather donate it to a BIG ISSUE seller or if you fancy, visit the playhouse for GOOD, CHEAP house wine...

STAY AWAY!!!... scary??!!.. more like you might trip up, fall and break your back as everything is pitch black with no signs of fire exit........

VILE VILE SHOW!!.....

DITTO TO SAMSAM!!.....

#4 samsam1985

samsam1985

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 09:43 AM

ill be intrigued to hear what you think about it Mr Huffenpuff. . . . it was just terrible. i had high expectations for this as I heard good things about previous years but what a let down..

oh i forgot about t he darkness.. the entrance to the theatre is in pitch blak darkness and wasnt very safe at all. i know inside they were trying to create atmosphere but having no lights outside wasnt good at all.

#5 Guest_Mr Huffenpuff_*

Guest_Mr Huffenpuff_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 October 2009 - 08:23 AM

Well I was expecting a complete car crash from the couple of comments posted yesterday so my expectations weren't high. Maybe for that reason I was pleasantly surprised.

I think the problem with the evening however was that there wasn't much in the way of horror or grand guignol; apart from maybe the final playlet which if you take the definition of grand guignol as "graphic amoral horror entertainment" was certainly that ... to the extent that a couple of people left when it became clear what was going to happen and almost stunned the audience last night into silence. Not a play to show to your maiden aunt!

The first play, while slightly too long was the most genuinely creepy of the four and the atmosphere of the venue - dark, bare brick walls - fitted the play very well. The second monologue written and "performed" by Mark Ravenhill might require reading to get the most out of ... or a better performer.

The third play was the weakest of the three; the sort of thing Patricia Highsmith might have written on an off day. I don't think it was helped by a particularly weak female protagonist.

You certainly won't be running away in terror or hiding behind the cushions but definately not the worst night I've spent in the theatre . . . . Oh I would avoid the house red wine though !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users