* * * * - 1 votes

Disappointed performances and why -dont post just to make a vile attack - back your opinions up

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
33 replies to this topic

#1 In the Know

In the Know

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Interests:Theatre, television, films, reading. travelling, politics and football

Posted 14 February 2007 - 11:11 PM

Have to say I did not enjoyed Matt Rawle in this show, the reasons for this is

1) Vocally, I felt he was strained and unemotional
2) he was certainly not Charasmatic enough
3) I just felt the acting was forced and that he was disinterested
4) there was no chemistry between him and Elena (Who is hot - this from a gay lad)

Sorry to any Matt fans, just felt he was a really weak link ...... IMO and at least I back it up

#2 Felix

Felix

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 05:37 AM

Brooke Shields (Roxie):
- She obviously too tall compared to the rest of the cast which really puts all the attention to her
- She looks like a drag queen
- She can't sing
- She can't dance
- Her acting's good but I dont like that she takes the serious side of Roxie, there's no fun with her Roxie!
- Her chemistry with Charley (Velma) and Clarke (Billy) is minimal

Frances Ruffelle (Roxie):
- horrible singing (expects more from a Tony award winner!) I mean I'd call it squealing not singing!
- BAD comical timing!
- She plays the role WAY too cute and innocent but wants it to be abit flirtful and dirty, gd approuch but doesnt work for her

#3 Matthew Winn

Matthew Winn

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2898 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 10:36 AM

QUOTE(Felix @ Feb 15 2007, 05:37 AM) View Post
Frances Ruffelle (Roxie):
- horrible singing (expects more from a Tony award winner!) I mean I'd call it squealing not singing!
- BAD comical timing!
- She plays the role WAY too cute and innocent but wants it to be abit flirtful and dirty, gd approuch but doesnt work for her

That was my opinion the first time I saw her as Roxie in the spring of 2004. I couldn't stand her. Yet when she returned to the role fifteen months later I really liked her performance. I'm not sure what was different about the way she played it, and there may have been no difference at all, but for some reason it worked for me the second time around, and really well too. I missed her when she left, and it was nice to see her again in Schwartz Stories last year.

I have to agree about Brooke Shields. It wasn't the right role for her, and the situation was made worse by the fact that from my point of view she was sandwiched between Claire Taylor's and Josefina Gabrielle's Roxies beforehand and Frances Ruffelle's afterwards, which made the miscasting all the more apparent.

It is perhaps a little unfair to pick on Chicago as its penchant for stunt casting allows so many opportunities for criticism, so instead I'll aim my guns at Adam Faith as Zach in the 1997 tour of A Chorus Line. Unconvincing in any way, he utterly failed to give the impression that he was in charge of the audition process in the show. It left the audience wondering why the rest of the cast bothered putting up with him. I gathered from someone in the tour that there had been plans to take the show to the West End, but the plans were dropped because Adam Faith simply wasn't good enough. The experience put me off ACL for years and I didn't see it again until the excellent Sheffield production at the end of 2003.

And then there's Paul Nicholas in the tour of Jekyll and Hyde. (Yes, I know I'm picking the low-hanging fruit here.) In what was supposed to be the dramatic highlight of the show, when the tormented Jekyll has just killed Lucy, he was standing between her body and a wardrobe and managed to be stiffer than the former and more wooden than the latter. There's something horribly wrong with a performance when the audience are muffling their giggles during what is intended to be a serious scene. Fortunately the cast around him were talented enough to salvage the show (Louise Dearman as Lucy most of all), but his was an awkward performance to watch.

On top of that, whatever role I see him in I always get the strange feeling I'm seeing Vince Pinner from Just Good Friends (a mid-1980s TV series in which he starred, for those who don't know). He seems to approach every role in the same way. Sometimes that's appropriate for the part, but in Jekyll and Hyde it wasn't and he missed by a country mile.
I have always hated eggs. I remember back when I was a sperm I tried to head-butt one. It did not end well.

#4 Xander Hough

Xander Hough

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 10:54 AM

This is quite an interesting thread.  I think you always have to remember the difference between "performance" (single night performance) and performance (competency for want of a better word).  You have to remember that when you see a show once you are witnessing a snapshot in time - it is so difficult to judge someone on one performance accurately.  With the increasing use of sites like YOUTUBE where there are lots of bootleg clips on shows, you can really appreciate the different in a person's performance from one show to the next.  For example, if you only saw Idina Menzel's terrible performance of Defying Gravity from the 2005 Tony Awards (I think) you would think she was the worst performer ever (bad bad bad tuning, sharp noisy intakes of breath, clearly very nervous), but obviously this is not the case.  

From my own experience when I first saw Alexandra Silber perform as Laura Fairlie in Woman In White I thought she was very difficult to warm to and I wrote a pretty harsh review of her performance on here.  By the middle of her run and then end when I returned, I had completely changed my mind.  There are two reasons why this might be the case a) Al had improved and grown into the role or cool.gif I had learned to stop projecting my own expectations of what the character should be and sound like.  It's most likely the latter but probably a little of the former too.  Now I think she's amazing and I'd love to see her on the West End soon.  

So it goes to show that judging someone on a single performance can be very misleading.  Disappointment also implies expectation.  There are performances I thought were bad but they didn't disappointment me.  Is it really the fault of the artist if you're disappointed?  After all, it is rarely the artist who builds their reputation up.  Performers aren't the ones saying that they are amazing - it is their crazy fan following, producers (if Andrew Lloyd Webber raves about what a brilliant star Connie Fisher is I swear I'll....) and media types.  

Having said that some personal disappointments include (strangely they are all female - I guess I expect more of female performers):

1.  Ruthie Henshall as Marion in Woman In White : Always sings through her teeth, not enough power behind her belt in All For Laura.

2.  Marti Webb in Tell Me On A Sunday ; A pathetic attempt to relive the glory days.  Voice is no longer strong - it has become a squeeky mess with no power.  Poor acting and fumbled lines on both occasions I saw her.  

3.  Helen Dallimore as Glinda in WICKED ; Again another example of warming to the role/performer.  When I first saw her I thought "Urgh she is not Kristin/Megan/Jennifer" but on repeat viewings I've really grown to love her unique take on the role.  I still think she could squeeze more out of it though.

4.  Miriam Margoyles as Mme Morrible in WICKED; Please SING the role.  Not sure about the acting.  She does the slightly excentric professor well but I don't think handles the darker side of the role well at all.  

Xander

#5 Felix

Felix

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 11:35 AM

I think I'll have to disagree with you Xander Hough! I LOVED Ruthie in WiW, probably because I am a huge fan of hers in the first place BUT saying that she cannot belt is not true! She can definitely belt! Her voice's veyr unique unlike Maria Friedman's which I find cold and often over-the-top. And as for Marti, I saw her last perf in Tell..Sunday and I thought she was good, but I had nothing to compare with so can't really comment on that! I loved Alexandra in WiW as well, her voice could be cold first time, but as the show went on, i really fell in love with it!
And I have to agree with you on Helen... I like her, but I don't LOVE her and I think in Wicked, it's pretty hard to NOT love Glinda, well, she did it! I think she missed alot of comicial moments which make up the character of Glinda which is a shame. Another performer I found disappointing in the show was Adam Garcia, average voice, average acting but MAN his looks just made me COMPLETELY forget ANY bad impressions/performances he gave me!
I was not happy with the cast of the current Cabaret except for Sheila. I find the Emcee just... the Emcee, nothing special, not much life or excitement, very dull basically. And the Sally, I liked her protrayal to the role but sometimes I thought she could have pushed for a more exaggerated performance.

#6 Xander Hough

Xander Hough

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 11:39 AM

Felix to clairfy on the Ruthie Henshall point..

I said there was not enough power behind her belt, not that she couldn't belt.  I also didn't say she wasn't good - I just said she was disappointing (see my earlier point about bad vs not what you expected in the original post).

Agree that Adam Garcia is probably the weakest link in the whole cast, but he didn't disappoint me because I had no prior conceptions about him.  

Xander

#7 M George

M George

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 11:50 AM

The last time I saw Blood Brothers in Liverpool a couple of years ago Mrs Johnstone was being played by Barbara Dickson and I was bitterly disappointed.  She was far to old to be continuing to play the role and her performance lacked emotion and power.  It was particularly disappointing considering I have previously see the likes of Stephanie Lawrence and Bernie Nolan bring the house down with their performances.
I won't be called a baggage!

#8 Reich

Reich

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1022 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 11:51 AM

QUOTE(Xander Hough @ Feb 15 2007, 10:54 AM) View Post
3.  Helen Dallimore as Glinda in WICKED ; Again another example of warming to the role/performer.  When I first saw her I thought "Urgh she is not Kristin/Megan/Jennifer" but on repeat viewings I've really grown to love her unique take on the role.  I still think she could squeeze more out of it though.

Xander

Agreed

I also don't like John Barrowman. (Fantastic to look at and great legs, if you ever get to see him in shorts  wink.gif ) He is a lovely guy with a good voice, but don't think he understands what he singing well enough to make it real or moving

Broadway has been very good to me. But then, I've been very good to broadway.

#9 Tony (the other one)

Tony (the other one)

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 12:48 PM

Reich!!!!!!! Leave JB alone, you know I have a soft spot for young Billy Crocker!!!

....oh God, I'm getting the actor and the character mixed up again!!!!

#10 Reich

Reich

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1022 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 12:55 PM

QUOTE(Tony (the other one) @ Feb 15 2007, 12:48 PM) View Post
Reich!!!!!!! Leave JB alone, you know I have a soft spot for young Billy Crocker!!!

I wouldn't have thought he was your type?

Broadway has been very good to me. But then, I've been very good to broadway.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users