* * * * - 1 votes

Disappointed performances and why -dont post just to make a vile attack - back your opinions up

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
33 replies to this topic

#11 In the Know

In the Know

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Interests:Theatre, television, films, reading. travelling, politics and football

Posted 15 February 2007 - 01:59 PM

QUOTE(M George @ Feb 15 2007, 11:50 AM) View Post
The last time I saw Blood Brothers in Liverpool a couple of years ago Mrs Johnstone was being played by Barbara Dickson and I was bitterly disappointed.

Really I loved her in the role

#12 Felix

Felix

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 02:50 PM

M George, can't say I can comment on Barbara Dickson, cuz she's my friend's mother BUT I have to say I think she was great before I knew her!
As for John, I have only seen him in Anything Goes and Chicago. In AG, I thought he was amazing, A++ performance, great voice, great looks, great dancing, great acting, TONS of charima; in Chicago, his performance was only average, maybe because the role does not showcase his talents as much and it's not tat big a role ~ But I actually think he would make a great Sky Masterson (I typed Walker... Sky Walker imagine that!) in the current London revival of Guys & Dolls!

#13 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 February 2007 - 12:29 AM

Ruthie's singing in Woman in White...
She had 2 different voices -
1) an enormous low chest belt voice and
2) a full bodied soprano

unfortunately very little in between and no blending between the 2

seems baffling that she would "boast" about having no technical vocal training and then show off that very fact in front of thousands of people

'tis a shame, as she certainly has a fantastic stage presence

did any one else see Nicky Adams in the role?

just divine

#14 Rosie

Rosie

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Interests:Anything to do with music- playing the oboe, singing and composition.<br />Anything to do with musicals!

Posted 16 February 2007 - 12:39 AM

I saw Maria first, she was fantastic. I wanted to see Ruthie but she was off next time I went and had left the time after that, so I saw Yvette Robinson twice, and she was brilliant.

#15 Haz

Haz

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1264 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 09:56 AM

saw Mamma Mia last night and was immensely disappointed with iain fletcher's sam. one stance, one expression and quite possibly the most wooden performance i've seen in quite a while.
whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should

http://curtain-up.blogspot.com/

#16 Peter

Peter

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 09:59 AM

Ian McShane in the Witches of Eastwick. I actually saw him early in previews and he was a little underpowered, but I thought that he just needed time to find his feet. Then I saw him towards the end of his run (before the show transfered out of Drury Lane) and he was even worse! He was missing punchlines, he stopped acting when he was 'singing' and just seemed incredibly bored. I was so glad when Earl Carpenter took over for the Prince of Wales run and injected the energy that the role needed.
"Don't you DARE use 'party' as a verb in my shop!"

#17 Haz

Haz

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1264 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 10:31 AM

oh! possibly my worst one - glenn carter in JCS. however blasphemous it nakes me, by the crucifixion scene i was practically praying for them to get on with it. no emotion, he was about as deep as a puddle and came across as ridiculously arrogant.
whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should

http://curtain-up.blogspot.com/

#18 Richey

Richey

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 02:44 PM

QUOTE(Haz @ Feb 16 2007, 10:31 AM) View Post
oh! possibly my worst one - glenn carter in JCS. however blasphemous it nakes me, by the crucifixion scene i was practically praying for them to get on with it. no emotion, he was about as deep as a puddle and came across as ridiculously arrogant.

I'll agree with you on that one Haz- was disappointed with his performance too; thought he was overshadowed by James Fox as Judas.
Was also disappointed by Jason Donavan as Frank n Furter a few years back... He had difficulty remembering his lines and the audience were shouting them out for him, instead of shouting reponses as is usual at Rocky Horror!

#19 Guest_Joanna_*

Guest_Joanna_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 February 2007 - 02:52 PM

Ruthie Henshall in WiW. Absolutely hated her interpretation from the quality of her singing to her acting. Yet I have enjoyed her in nearly everything else I have seen her in.

#20 M George

M George

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 03:26 PM

QUOTE(Haz @ Feb 16 2007, 10:31 AM) View Post

I agree with this too.  The whole production (the recent Kenwright one) was pretty dire but it wasn't helped by a poor performance from Glenn Carter.  He looked bored, and he was very quiet.
I won't be called a baggage!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users