* * * * - 1 votes

Disappointed performances and why -dont post just to make a vile attack - back your opinions up

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
33 replies to this topic

#21 Haz

Haz

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1264 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 04:24 PM

QUOTE(Richey @ Feb 16 2007, 02:44 PM) View Post
I'll agree with you on that one Haz- was disappointed with his performance too; thought he was overshadowed by James Fox as Judas

DEFINITELY!! (yes, shouting intentional) i was amazed by james fox, i thought his judas came across beautifully as a real tortured soul. in fact, i'd love to see him as jesus to see what he could do with it. was a class above glenn carter in my eyes

whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should

http://curtain-up.blogspot.com/

#22 Felix

Felix

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 09:38 AM

I saw the tour as well, Glen was bad and had alot of expectations from him since he did it in Ldn, Broadway, video...etc so I thought he wud be gd but just turned out to be nothing but camp. The whole production was poor and boring. I didn't even see James Fox! I saw his understudy who was ok but did NOT look the role!

#23 Harold Hill

Harold Hill

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 11:47 AM

Totally agree about Barbara Dickson, Marti Webb, Paul Nicholas and Glenn Carter in those productions. Dickson and Webb were far too old, Nicholas just wasn't up to it, Carter was about as interesting as drying paint!

I think Edward Fox as Henry Higgins is one that dissapointed me greatly, I expected a lot better.

#24 Guest_Guest_tom_*_*

Guest_Guest_tom_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 February 2007 - 02:09 PM

i think i will have to disagree with xander on miriam margoyles. If you watch her at the beginning of act 2 she has this sinister look about her while shes watching over glinda almost as if she is using her as a puppet.

#25 Guest_JG_*

Guest_JG_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 February 2007 - 03:37 PM

QUOTE(Guest_tom_* @ Feb 18 2007, 02:09 PM) View Post
i think i will have to disagree with xander on miriam margoyles. If you watch her at the beginning of act 2 she has this sinister look about her while shes watching over glinda almost as if she is using her as a puppet.

#26 Guest_JG_*

Guest_JG_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 February 2007 - 03:43 PM

Agree about Edward Fox. But for me that whole show was hamstrung by a very bizarre and ugly set design.

#27 barnesly

barnesly

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 06:29 PM

Although I went in with very low expectations, Amanda Holden in Thoroughly Modern Millie underachieved on every level.  Poor dancing, vocally weak (she was heavily amplified) and not the best actor.  Compared to Sutton Foster on Broadway, a bitter disappointment.

#28 Matthew Winn

Matthew Winn

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2898 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 09:15 PM

QUOTE(barnesly @ Feb 18 2007, 06:29 PM) View Post
Although I went in with very low expectations, Amanda Holden in Thoroughly Modern Millie underachieved on every level.  Poor dancing, vocally weak (she was heavily amplified) and not the best actor.  Compared to Sutton Foster on Broadway, a bitter disappointment.

When did you see her? I thought she was rather weak for the first few months, with more than a touch of the "Oh my God there's a thousand people watching me" about her, but near the end of the run she'd settled down and I enjoyed her performance. In contrast, I've never warmed to Sutton Foster's performance on the OBCR: to me she doesn't sound like Millie, but like Sutton Foster playing Millie.
I have always hated eggs. I remember back when I was a sperm I tried to head-butt one. It did not end well.

#29 barnesly

barnesly

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 09:30 PM

QUOTE(Matthew Winn @ Feb 18 2007, 09:15 PM) View Post
When did you see her? I thought she was rather weak for the first few months, with more than a touch of the "Oh my God there's a thousand people watching me" about her, but near the end of the run she'd settled down and I enjoyed her performance. In contrast, I've never warmed to Sutton Foster's performance on the OBCR: to me she doesn't sound like Millie, but like Sutton Foster playing Millie.

I saw her twice.  Once fairly early on, and the second time about half way through the run.  The second time I was sat on the very front row so could hear how amplified she was.  The big tap numbers certainly lacked the impact they did on Broadway, though whether that was due to AH or just the London production, I'm not sure.

#30 no_good_deed

no_good_deed

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 12:08 AM

Jennifer Ellison as Roxie. Weak singing, weak acting but she was a great dancer. JB was a great Billy Flynn tho which totally made up for it. wink.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users