98 replies to this topic

#51 Alexandra

Alexandra

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1779 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 09:26 AM

"I also found both Moliere's original plot and Crimp's adaptations amazingly relevant"

Oh no.

#52 seanaydon

seanaydon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 09:37 AM

QUOTE(Alexandra @ Dec 11 2009, 09:26 AM) View Post
"I also found both Moliere's original plot and Crimp's adaptations amazingly relevant"

Oh no.

Explain?

#53 Alexandra

Alexandra

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1779 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 09:42 AM

I'm bored of things being "relevant". Sometimes I want theatre to take me to another place and time entirely. I'd like it just to be Moliere and a French comedy.

#54 Weez

Weez

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2632 posts
  • Interests:Theatre. :D

Posted 11 December 2009 - 10:25 AM

Plus things don't need to be mindlessly updated to be relevant. It's not uncommon for people to take a 400 year old play, stage it in Elizabethan dress, and still have it hammer home with audiences.

Going to see this tomorrow. Keeping an open mind, but slowly going off Martin Crimp. laugh.gif

Notes from the Earlham Street Gutter
http://earlhamstreet...r.blogspot.com/

#55 Alexandra

Alexandra

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1779 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 01:06 PM

Well, in fairness Sean did say he found Moliere's original plot to be "relevant" too, so I can't blame Crimp for that.

Actually, what was that Crimp thing about 5 years ago that I liked but no-one else did? Something and something, with Kerry Fox. Based on a Greek, I think.

#56 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 December 2009 - 04:51 PM

QUOTE(Weez @ Dec 11 2009, 10:25 AM) View Post
Plus things don't need to be mindlessly updated to be relevant...

It really bugs me when armchair critics mindlessly use words like "mindless".

No production on that scale comes together without months of meetings, readings and the ongoing revision of the script by the creative team.

It is not "mindless".  Ever.

The process is hugely involved and thought-through and just because a motivation is not immediately apparent to you, that does not make it "mindless".  Whether or not it is ultimately successful.

I've not seen this production and being no great fan of Moliere, Crimp or Knightley, I probably won't, but to suggest that these people just p*ss out adaptations shows tremendous arrogance and naivety on your part.

#57 Guest_Guest_danny_*_*

Guest_Guest_danny_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 December 2009 - 05:31 PM

QUOTE(Weez @ Dec 11 2009, 10:25 AM) View Post
Plus things don't need to be mindlessly updated to be relevant. It's not uncommon for people to take a 400 year old play, stage it in Elizabethan dress, and still have it hammer home with audiences.

Going to see this tomorrow. Keeping an open mind, but slowly going off Martin Crimp. laugh.gif

Well said.

#58 Weez

Weez

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2632 posts
  • Interests:Theatre. :D

Posted 11 December 2009 - 07:01 PM

QUOTE(Guest @ Dec 11 2009, 04:51 PM) View Post

No production on that scale comes together without months of meetings, readings and the ongoing revision of the script by the creative team.

It is not "mindless".  Ever.

The process is hugely involved and thought-through and just because a motivation is not immediately apparent to you, that does not make it "mindless".  Whether or not it is ultimately successful.

I've not seen this production and being no great fan of Moliere, Crimp or Knightley, I probably won't, but to suggest that these people just p*ss out adaptations shows tremendous arrogance and naivety on your part.

Or maybe I was in a bit of a hurry posting before, and "mindlessly" accidentally came out when I actually meant "pointlessly". Sorry to completely ruin your rant, you obviously had a bit more free time for posting than I did today. tongue.gif

Notes from the Earlham Street Gutter
http://earlhamstreet...r.blogspot.com/

#59 paultheatre

paultheatre

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 12:25 AM

QUOTE(Guest_danny_* @ Dec 11 2009, 05:31 PM) View Post
Well said.

Seconding that.

#60 paultheatre

paultheatre

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 12:27 AM

QUOTE(Guest @ Dec 11 2009, 04:51 PM) View Post

It is not "mindless". Ever.

The process is hugely involved and thought-through and just because a motivation is not immediately apparent to you, that does not make it "mindless". Whether or not it is ultimately successful.

I'm finding it very hard to believe you're not somehow invovled in this production "guest".  Why, if you're "no great fan of Moliere, Crimp or Knightley" would you be taking an interest in this thread? Hmm...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users