15 replies to this topic

#11 Virna

Virna

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 08:31 AM

Do we need to add references as well in the CV? Cause for the Dominion Theatre when they were looking for FOH they had their own form and had to add two references so I'm guessing it's better we add the names of two referees in the CV? I handed a few CV's in february at some theatres and never got called back don't know if it is because I didnt put referees then or just because they were not recruiting?
?

#12 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 08:44 AM

You should always have two referees, whatever job you apply for, either in the cv itself or in the covering letter. You might find some useful advice here though it's more about the artistic than management side of the business.

#13 Virna

Virna

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 08:58 AM

Thanks for that! I only realised I completely forgot my referees after I gave all my CV's....

#14 Matthew Winn

Matthew Winn

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2898 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 10:33 AM

References aren't critical, though they can be useful. I've managed to get called for interviews without giving references. When I applied for my second job my first employer had gone bankrupt and there was nobody left at the company to be contacted, so I had no choice but to offer a reference-free CV.

Remember that any employer is going to be contacted by more applicants than they can possibly hope to interview. Interviews take time and they have other things to do, so the purpose of the CV and cover letter is to give them a quick way of cutting down the number of applications to a reasonable level. In writing your CV and cover letter your aim is to make sure your application isn't among those that are culled.

Personalise your cover letter. If you can find out the name of someone to write to then use it instead of a generic "Dear sir/madam". Refer to specifics about each employer, as it shows you have a genuine interest in the business and aren't just scattering CVs to the wind in the hope that one lands on fertile ground.

Above all, make absolutely certain that you proofread everything, and check your spelling and grammar. Don't rely on a spelling checker: not knowing the difference between "your" and "you're" can lose you your chance if you're up against another applicant who gets it right. Your application is the first contact you have with a potential employer, and at the time your letter is read it's the only thing by which the employer can judge you. If your grammatical knowledge isn't up to the task find someone else who can check your writing for you.

I used to work with someone who had interviewing responsibilities, and she said that with many applications it was obvious only a few lines into the cover letter that the person was not right for the job. When someone shows a lack of attention to spelling, or hasn't bothered to find out anything about the employer, then why waste time reading to the end of the letter when there are so many other candidates who have made more of an effort?
I have always hated eggs. I remember back when I was a sperm I tried to head-butt one. It did not end well.

#15 smoke'n'mirrors

smoke'n'mirrors

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 01:34 PM

Try the Cambridge, I hear they are looking for staff today!

#16 Virna

Virna

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 02:21 PM

Argh why am I never in London when I need to be!! I could have easily dropped my CV there but noooo!! Now I can't even e-mail it cause I have no address

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users