Steven Pimlott

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_achilles_*

Guest_achilles_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 February 2007 - 11:38 AM

very sad to hear that Steven Pimlott died last night. A hugely talented friendly man, and I had the enormous pleasure of working with him on a film I directed, where he was singing Gilbert and Sullivan, a real passion of his. A man of talent but not just in one area.......so many different areas.
I'm so glad to have know him, and very upset at his early death. Many condolences to his friends and family.

#2 cupcake

cupcake

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 11:51 AM

I agree, a huge loss..  I saw many of his shows and watched him direct at Chichester during his time. A lovely man who made fantastic theatre.. The theatre world will miss him greatly.

#3 Reich

Reich

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1028 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 12:05 PM

QUOTE(achilles @ Feb 15 2007, 11:38 AM) View Post
A man of talent but not just in one area.......so many different areas.

Agree. Fantastic in so many different mediums. He had a great way of story telling in a fresh, bright and intelligent way. He could often introduce a new concept that would be totally clear and uncluttered and really enhance the drama

He will be missed

Broadway has been very good to me. But then, I've been very good to broadway.

#4 Guest_Guest_Alnoor_*_*

Guest_Guest_Alnoor_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 February 2007 - 12:30 PM

Very very sad news. His Richard II is one of my favourite plays.

#5 lilybubble

lilybubble

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 01:45 PM

Very sad news indeed. Condolences to his family; a very sad, untimely death. Rest in peace.

#6 josh

josh

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 741 posts
  • Interests:theatre, movies, actors, acting, directing

Posted 16 February 2007 - 12:57 AM

this is really sad and surprising. a great loss of a very talented and special person.
He used to call me Blue Roses.

#7 Matthew Winn

Matthew Winn

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2898 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 12:15 PM

QUOTE(cupcake @ Feb 15 2007, 11:51 AM) View Post
I agree, a huge loss..  I saw many of his shows and watched him direct at Chichester during his time. A lovely man who made fantastic theatre.. The theatre world will miss him greatly.

The period when he was one of the artistic directors at Chichester produced some of the best shows I've ever seen there, including The Master and Margarita (which he directed). It was a triumphant progression away from the somewhat hit-and-miss variability of previous years.
I have always hated eggs. I remember back when I was a sperm I tried to head-butt one. It did not end well.

#8 cupcake

cupcake

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 01:09 PM

QUOTE(Matthew Winn @ Feb 16 2007, 12:15 PM) View Post
The period when he was one of the artistic directors at Chichester produced some of the best shows I've ever seen there, including The Master and Margarita (which he directed). It was a triumphant progression away from the somewhat hit-and-miss variability of previous years.

I loved The Master and Margarita. Seven Doors, (directed by Pimlott), in that season also really caught my imagination, mainly because I went to the pre-show talk and listened to him discuss his ideas. He really evoked insipration in all.

#9 Guest_Chris Whitby_*

Guest_Chris Whitby_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 February 2007 - 06:45 PM

There were 4 of us in the 1971 English intake at Sidney Sussex College and, as was common then, we shared rooms in pairs. As it happens, the alphabetic order of our names means that I did not share with Steven, but I knew him tolerably well and even played the most minute of parts (very badly) in his production of The Visit at the ADC. I raise my glass to his life, both for what it was and for the part it played in mine, and wish we may all in our lifetimes achieve for the arts even just a small fraction of what he did.

#10 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2007 - 11:10 AM

He was one of those directors who could genuinely, and reasonably, be described as unique.  More vision, imagination and creativity than half his peers combined.

I never personally had the chance to make his acquaintance, but I understand he was a lovely guy too.

Very sad.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users