12 replies to this topic

#11 Tintin

Tintin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 08:23 PM

He seemed to have crammed so much remarkable work into such a short life. I have very happy memories of so many of his productions at Chichester. He really transformed the character of the place. His death is such a sad loss.

#12 Guest_David Simmons_*

Guest_David Simmons_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2007 - 11:01 AM

QUOTE(Chris Whitby @ Feb 18 2007, 06:45 PM) View Post
There were 4 of us in the 1971 English intake at Sidney Sussex College and, as was common then, we shared rooms in pairs. As it happens, the alphabetic order of our names means that I did not share with Steven, but I knew him tolerably well and even played the most minute of parts (very badly) in his production of The Visit at the ADC. I raise my glass to his life, both for what it was and for the part it played in mine, and wish we may all in our lifetimes achieve for the arts even just a small fraction of what he did.

Chris,

I was, you will remember, another of the 1971 Sidney 4 and I did share with Steven. That year remains one of the most exciting of my life and Steven and the people around him are what I will always value about Cambridge. He was an immense person, so brilliant in so many ways. I remember everything about that year with an uncanny freshness - his passion for the oboe (shadow-conducting Mozart wind serenades in the early hours of the morning), his acting (a memorable Misanthrope among others), his inexplicable devotion to G&S, his love of roller-coasters, above all his energy, enthusiasm and sheer exuberance. You could never be bored when Steven was around. He knew who he was, he knew who he was going to become: there was never the slightest doubt that he would move on to great things. He has gone far too young and I feel privileged to have known him. A great talent and a wonderful person.

#13 Guest_simple_*

Guest_simple_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2007 - 03:38 AM

A much-loved man, more than worthy of the eulogies bestowed on him.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users