44 replies to this topic

#21 Statler

Statler

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 09:10 AM

Coming from Glasgow it would be a huge deal/expense for me to take a trip to London for a single show on a Saturday night, but given the opportunity of catching a second show on the Sunday afternoon/early evening then suddenly the weekend trip is a great deal more attractive.

#22 whittlebot

whittlebot

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Interests:Theatre! Film Music (the music composed for films) Off-road cycling. Hiking. And restaurant evenings in the company of a few close friends.

Posted 05 April 2007 - 08:37 PM

Thank you to everyone who responded to my post and such a variety of views too! Going back through my various books on Theatre, I note that there were indeed Sunday Shows between the World Wars, and some Theatres opened on Sundays during the last War. If Nicholas Hytner does succeed at The National, might the West End not follow?

#23 Orchestrator

Orchestrator

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1028 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 10:19 PM

QUOTE(whittlebot @ Apr 5 2007, 09:37 PM) View Post
Thank you to everyone who responded to my post and such a variety of views too! Going back through my various books on Theatre, I note that there were indeed Sunday Shows between the World Wars, and some Theatres opened on Sundays during the last War. If Nicholas Hytner does succeed at The National, might the West End not follow?

Almost certainly. The West End managements are envious enough of the NT already.
Ooh, that Bernadette Shaw - what a chatterbox!

#24 Orchestrator

Orchestrator

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1028 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 10:20 PM

QUOTE(Lynette @ Apr 4 2007, 11:43 PM) View Post
The Globe does Sundays, usually a 6.30 start and yes, I know that is mainly for tourists but there is usually a nice atmosphere there on a Sunday. Also they do the the lost musicals on a Sunday - it is creeping in, quite fast.

It would be much harder to cast the Lost Musicals (which have always played Sundays since before the Flood) if professional theatre worked on Sundays as the Lost Musicals rely on unpaid talent from West End shows. Yes, sometimes the performers might be out of work, but if the producers were limited to out-of-work actors their job would be harder. Plus, the audience for Lost Musicals isn't tourists or people from the provinces, rather it is hard-core afficionados, which probably include many theatre professionals who would be unable to come at all if they were working on Sundays. In other words, if the West End generally moved to Sunday matinees the Lost Musicals would have to move to Monday evening to survive at all. The whole dynamic of the voluntary sector involving Lost Musicals and charity shows is based on the West End in general not working on Sundays.

#25 Orchestrator

Orchestrator

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1028 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 10:28 PM

Another point not yet made here: an Sunday show would increase the number of days every week when there is no one "in the office" should something go badly wrong eg exceptional sickness in cast, crew, orchestra; major "incident" in Central London affecting transport, security etc or other "Act of God". Getting through Saturdays can be hard enough for the stressed-out Company Manager, Sunday would be another day when the producers and general managers just aren't around. As far as the NT is concerned I think the performers, crew, technical and front-of-house staff should only agree to work Sundays if publicity, props, scene-painting, armoury, casting, literary, planning, education etc departments are all fully functional on Sundays.

#26 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 06:45 AM

The  Lost Musical are c15 performances a year in a small theatre so maybe 5000 people in total  see them. If I were Nicholas Hytner I wouldn't base my entire performance schedule around  them.

Does the Globe have lots of scene painting emergencies on Sunday?

BTW Orchestrator - is it just me you are singling out as being 'selfish' or does that apply to everyone else on this thread who thinks that the theatre should be open to people who find it difficult to attend on weekday evenings? If it is only me, I think I am owed an explanation as to why I am particularly deserving of personal abuse (something which the new board has been thankfully free of up until now).

#27 Orchestrator

Orchestrator

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1028 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 07:45 AM

QUOTE(armadillo @ Apr 6 2007, 07:45 AM) View Post
The  Lost Musical are c15 performances a year in a small theatre so maybe 5000 people in total  see them. If I were Nicholas Hytner I wouldn't base my entire performance schedule around  them.

Someone quoted the Lost Musicals as an example of the inexorable rise of Sunday performances. I pointed out that they only happen on Sundays because most of the West End and the subsidised theatres don't open on Sundays. Get it?

Does the Globe have lots of scene painting emergencies on Sunday?
I was exaggerating for effect. I was trying to portray the, for want of a better word, unfairness to performers of having to work on Sundays whereby many of their back-up staff and colleagues would never have to but particularly I would like to see theatre boards, chief executives and producers giving up most of their weekends on a regular basis.

BTW Orchestrator - is it just me you are singling out as being 'selfish' or does that apply to everyone else on this thread who thinks that the theatre should be open to people who find it difficult to attend on weekday evenings? If it is only me, I think I am owed an explanation as to why I am particularly deserving of personal abuse (something which the new board has been thankfully free of up until now).

Read your post and my response again http://www.whatsonstage.com/board/index.ph...post&p=7148 and tell me that you don't think you come across as a bit selfish. You might just as well argue that bank branches should be open in the evenings for the benefit of those that can't go during the day. I think anybody that truly wants to go to the theatre and isn't free for any of the existing 8 performances a week is being selfish if they say "My needs are more important than those of the performers, crew, musicians, dressers, front of house etc."

#28 Reich

Reich

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1028 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 07:48 AM

QUOTE(Orchestrator @ Apr 5 2007, 11:20 PM) View Post
It would be much harder to cast the Lost Musicals (which have always played Sundays since before the Flood) if professional theatre worked on Sundays as the Lost Musicals rely on unpaid talent from West End shows. Yes, sometimes the performers might be out of work, but if the producers were limited to out-of-work actors their job would be harder. Plus, the audience for Lost Musicals isn't tourists or people from the provinces, rather it is hard-core afficionados, which probably include many theatre professionals who would be unable to come at all if they were working on Sundays. In other words, if the West End generally moved to Sunday matinees the Lost Musicals would have to move to Monday evening to survive at all. The whole dynamic of the voluntary sector involving Lost Musicals and charity shows is based on the West End in general not working on Sundays.

What? are you joking?

There are always lots of out of work actors many of whom are excellent. It's the nature of the job

I don't think using the example of the Lost Musicals season will strenghten any arguement

Broadway has been very good to me. But then, I've been very good to broadway.

#29 Statler

Statler

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 07:53 AM

I agree that Sunday shows could have a substantial (and unfair) impact on some performers who have planned their lives around the current schedule, but maybe there is room for further middle ground here.  What if it was to operate on the basis that the 1st Sunday of every month was a performance day and the following Monday night was closed.  Easy enough as a rule of thumb and it's the kind of variation in operating hours that is fairly common with museums etc.  Of course if the Sunday show was as popular as many of us here expect then pressure may lead for more Sunday performances.

#30 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 08:02 AM

Read your post and my response again http://www.whatsonstage.com/board/index.ph...post&p=7148 and tell me that you don't think you come across as a bit selfish. You might just as well argue that bank branches should be open in the evenings for the benefit of those that can't go during the day. I think anybody that truly wants to go to the theatre and isn't free for any of the existing 8 performances a week is being selfish if they say "My needs are more important than those of the performers, crew, musicians, dressers, front of house etc."

I didn't ask whether I seemed selfish. I asked why you had singled me out for personal abuse. Do all the other people who want Sunday performances also seem selfish to you? If so, have the courage to say so. If not - please explain why I am a particular target for your abuse.

BTW I work shifts. Just as inconvenient ones as actors and these include every weekend. Because I work in a service industry. This means I work when people want my services. Doesn't seem unreasonable to me. And yes, I do think there is a case for banks to be open in the evening (certainly on Saturdays). How can people who work make an appointment to see a bank official when they are only open 9-5 during the week?

I pay to go to the theatre (sometimes I can pay 45 for a ticket plus 10 for programmes and drinks). Don't you think my needs are just as important as those of the staff who are paid to work there? Staff who aren't very difficult to replace whereas audience members can be hard to find.

BTW I have attended many Lost Musicals - I don't think I have ever seen a performer who is currently in a show. Plus, I would have thought Sunday performances would have made it easier for actors to combine stage with tv/radio work since filming is unlikely to happen on Sunday so it leaves them a weekday free for other work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users