#41 Sparrow

Sparrow

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 06:59 PM

QUOTE(Colourarc @ Apr 6 2007, 05:45 PM) View Post
OK, so having Sunday eve to Tuesday off is a nice break, almost a weeked(!) *BUT* as I said in a previous post, some crew/FoH staff HAVE to have a second job....often working Mondays!
Cx

That's true but while I sympathise, the problem is that no industry will be held responsible for what you do outside its working hours. If you have to take a second job to make ends meet, that's your problem unfortunately.

#42 teaboy

teaboy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 05:02 PM

The major objection I have to Sunday working is making it compulsory. Those in the theatre industry already go without a weekend - why take away the ONLY day people can have some sort of family life? With other 'shift work' which covers Sunday working I cannot think of ANY where a person would HAVE to work BOTH days of EVERY weekend. When should people see their partners? Or children?

Also, if every West End theatre opened on Sundays and sold out it would mean an additional 50,000 people in town on a day when transport, policing, street cleaning, etc are running at a reduced level.  Councils are tight enough with entertainment lisencing as it is!
www.abfabfireworks.co.uk
Displays and Sales all year.

#43 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 05:05 PM

Has anywhere other than the NT discussed Sunday openings?

However, if your scenario (that every London theatre sells out on Sundays) surely that indicates that there is a strong demand for more weekend openings?

#44 teaboy

teaboy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 05:24 PM

Indeed it would! 'Twas a purely hypothetical point though - when did EVERY West End theatre sell out at the same time?!

If, however, an idea makes money for one venue (eg the NT), it wouldn't take long for it to enter the commercial sector.
www.abfabfireworks.co.uk
Displays and Sales all year.

#45 DavidB

DavidB

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 05:25 PM

Sunday matinees are a great idea but NOT at the expense of the midweek matinees which are essential for those who do not live or work in London and/or have young families. I particularly remember a WoS outing on a Sunday to As You Desire Me and would love for that to be repeated as the evening outings are almost always impossible to attend.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users