What's Coming To London?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Guest_QTip_*_*

Guest_Guest_QTip_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 August 2009 - 07:25 PM

If anyone has information about any Edinburgh shows coming to London, please post details here.

#2 Haz

Haz

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1264 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 08:34 AM

The Great British Soap Opera's at Jermyn Street next month.
whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should

http://curtain-up.blogspot.com/

#3 Fiyero

Fiyero

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 04:03 PM

"Over The Threshold" will also be playing at Jermyn Street, straight after "Soap Opera" closes...

#4 josh

josh

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 741 posts
  • Interests:theatre, movies, actors, acting, directing

Posted 24 August 2009 - 07:16 PM

Shame they are both quite...bad.  The fabulous production of 'Falsettoland' should be coming to London instead, we haven't had it here for aaaaaaaaages.
He used to call me Blue Roses.

#5 Guest_Guest_musicalfan_*_*

Guest_Guest_musicalfan_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2009 - 10:14 AM

Personally I loved both Over The Threshold and The Great British Soap Opera, although it's a shame that the latter probably wouldn't work outside the UK or in a decade or so. Does anyone know if there'll be the same casts? Both were brilliant.

I enjoyed the production of Falsettoland although I definitely preferred the other two in terms of production and cast.

The one I really hope to see in the near future is Ed: The Musical. That show is simply stunning and completely deserves a run in London and Off Broadway as well, if it could just get there.

#6 Guest_Guest_Sandra_*_*

Guest_Guest_Sandra_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2009 - 08:50 PM

I agree Falsettolands was great but it won't make it as it's not alowed to perform in London due to the license. From what I have heard there might be a showcase of Six Ways, that companys other show at Jermyn Street so you will at least get to see the performers again. Think all the Jermyn Street stuff will be anounced soon if the Edinburgh buzz is anything to go by...

Soap Opera and Over The Threshold have recieved amazing reviews accross the board and both won MTM awards tonight according to the WOS website. They are well worth seeing and people have missed them in Edinburgh due to them selling out.

Not seen Ed yet but it's on the list for this final week...

#7 Haz

Haz

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1264 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 10:06 AM

Have a look at Take Note Theatre's website for details on transfers of The Great British Soap Opera, Chat! - The Internet Musical, Six Ways and Over The Threshold.
whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should

http://curtain-up.blogspot.com/

#8 Boob

Boob

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 09:17 AM

Orphans is coming to the Soho Theatre from the Traverse.  Don't miss it.

#9 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 September 2009 - 12:37 PM

Yep, Jermyn St is the place to see the transfers.

The best things at Edinburgh for me were Showstoppers and Barbershopera! Both hilarious and highly original. Over The Threshold was ok, and Soap Opera was much better than I thought it would be - quite funny and sincere. Ed was worth seeing but had some really frustrating plot points that let it down. Great idea though, and some nice music and performances.

The standout turkey for me was Six Ways, a student piece that everyone but me thought was good. If a show contains an entire song about 'Decisions' then the next scene starts with the lines "Hi. How are you?... I sacked the cleaner." then you're in trouble. It also had that annoying 2 bar JRB-style piano vamp underscoring EVERYTHING which means the MD/Composer couldn't be bothered to come up with anything interesting that actually supported any drama. It's just a student piece, so applaud them for trying, but this shouldn't be anywhere near the West End.
(also isn't it a bit easy to take the piss out of Herman, ALW and Schwartz in a drag act when the writer clearly has none of their melodic gifts?)

#10 Guest_Guest_Buttons_*_*

Guest_Guest_Buttons_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 September 2009 - 04:44 PM

I'd seen Barbershopera and Showstoppers before and in the kindest possible way it felt like more of the same. That's not a criticism as it works very well for them, but it's not something I need to see repeatedly.

I think what's really interesting about the Jermyn Street season is that all the shows seem to cater for different audiences. I didn't see all of the pieces in Edinburgh so I can't comment but they are all shows that have got people talking. I know people who rave passionately about one or other of those shows but have mixed feelings towards one in the same season. Such is the nature of musical theatre!

It will be interesting to see if people go and do the hardcore thing and see them all. Either way credit to the theatre for letting this happen... it certainly seems like a strong step in the right direction.

P.S. I'm seeing Soap Opera first. I really enjoyed Jet Set Go at Theatre503 last year and missed the new production at Jermyn Street. Soap was on the wrong days for when I was in Edinburgh there so looking forward to it!

QUOTE(Guest @ Sep 6 2009, 12:37 PM) View Post
Yep, Jermyn St is the place to see the transfers.

The best things at Edinburgh for me were Showstoppers and Barbershopera! Both hilarious and highly original. Over The Threshold was ok, and Soap Opera was much better than I thought it would be - quite funny and sincere. Ed was worth seeing but had some really frustrating plot points that let it down. Great idea though, and some nice music and performances.

The standout turkey for me was Six Ways, a student piece that everyone but me thought was good. If a show contains an entire song about 'Decisions' then the next scene starts with the lines "Hi. How are you?... I sacked the cleaner." then you're in trouble. It also had that annoying 2 bar JRB-style piano vamp underscoring EVERYTHING which means the MD/Composer couldn't be bothered to come up with anything interesting that actually supported any drama. It's just a student piece, so applaud them for trying, but this shouldn't be anywhere near the West End.
(also isn't it a bit easy to take the piss out of Herman, ALW and Schwartz in a drag act when the writer clearly has none of their melodic gifts?)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users