21 replies to this topic

#1 Alexandra

Alexandra

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1779 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 06:43 AM

So he seems to have ruled himself out of the National (doesn't want to run another building, he says), and thus, Hytner's obvious successor. I wonder who will be running the Donmar and the National in 2012?

#2 Weez

Weez

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2632 posts
  • Interests:Theatre. :D

Posted 01 October 2010 - 08:20 AM

My god, it's even made the BBC News website. Theatre usually only does that when there's someone from film or TV involved!

I rather suspect Rupert Goold will at least end up in the running for the Donmar. It's the kind of space he could use well, he's surely got the following, and he has experience artistic directing. But then, he could also end up in the running for the National; it might be a big jump, but then, I suppose going from *anything* to the National is going to be a big jump. XD Also Ben Power appears to have set up camp at the National so maybe there's going to be a slow steady takeover of the National by Headlong. wink.gif

Mind you, could be a bluff by Grandage? Maybe he wants to do non-artistic director-y things for a while but as soon as the National's up for grabs he'll come roaring back in? Who knows? happy.gif

Notes from the Earlham Street Gutter
http://earlhamstreet...r.blogspot.com/

#3 Guest_Guest_PGTips_*_*

Guest_Guest_PGTips_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 October 2010 - 12:08 PM

QUOTE(Weez @ Oct 1 2010, 08:20 AM) View Post
My god, it's even made the BBC News website. Theatre usually only does that when there's someone from film or TV involved!

I rather suspect Rupert Goold will at least end up in the running for the Donmar. It's the kind of space he could use well, he's surely got the following, and he has experience artistic directing. But then, he could also end up in the running for the National; it might be a big jump, but then, I suppose going from *anything* to the National is going to be a big jump. XD Also Ben Power appears to have set up camp at the National so maybe there's going to be a slow steady takeover of the National by Headlong. wink.gif

Mind you, could be a bluff by Grandage? Maybe he wants to do non-artistic director-y things for a while but as soon as the National's up for grabs he'll come roaring back in? Who knows? happy.gif

Hytner will be at the NT for several more years yet.

Jamie Lloyd or Rob Ashford (associate directors at the Donmar) will surely be in the frame for Grandage's job.

#4 Guest_Guest_Jan Brock_*_*

Guest_Guest_Jan Brock_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 October 2010 - 12:59 PM

QUOTE(Guest_PGTips_* @ Oct 1 2010, 12:08 PM) View Post
Hytner will be at the NT for several more years yet.

Jamie Lloyd or Rob Ashford (associate directors at the Donmar) will surely be in the frame for Grandage's job.

I think Hytner's current term (his second) runs until 2013 - I would not expect him to seek a further 5-year term (nor should he).

Jamie Lloyd/Rob Ashford - no chance at all of succeeding Grandage, they will oook for a "name".

The job is too small for Goold - he will want NT (unlikely) or RSC (more probable).

#5 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 October 2010 - 02:10 PM

QUOTE(Guest_Jan Brock_* @ Oct 1 2010, 12:59 PM) View Post
Jamie Lloyd/Rob Ashford - no chance at all of succeeding Grandage, they will oook for a "name".

The job is too small for Goold - he will want NT (unlikely) or RSC (more probable).

agreed.

i would hate it if ashford took over. i wonder if Jonathan Kent will get it but i really don't enjoy his work. i really don't have a clue who will get the job ...

#6 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1387 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 06:51 PM

I agree with Weez about wondering whether Grandage is taking a break until the National gig is up for grabs. He's had quite a busy year with Red, Billy Budd, Danton's Death, Madame Butterfly and with upcoming stuff like King Lear, Don Giovanni and a possible Evita revival on Broadway.

I wonder who will take over, Jamie Lloyd is a possibility but I think they will go for a director who is comformable with programming a season of theatre or a person with experience with running a theatre.

#7 Guest_Who_*

Guest_Who_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 October 2010 - 07:14 PM

Jon. where did MG do Butterfly? He is quickly getting into the opera scene. i wish i could of justified the money to see his Glybiz billy budd

#8 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1387 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 08:48 PM

QUOTE(Who @ Oct 1 2010, 08:14 PM) View Post
Jon. where did MG do Butterfly? He is quickly getting into the opera scene. i wish i could of justified the money to see his Glybiz billy budd

He's doing it for Houston Grand Opera, it's been mentioned in one or two articles.

#9 Valentin

Valentin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 10:25 PM

I'm thinking Rupert Goold, Marianne Elliot and Thea Sharrock will be in the running.  I wouldn't be surprised to see Sam West and Daniel Evans looked at.

#10 Tino

Tino

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 11:04 PM

Very, very sad for us Donmar lovers.....

Small job for Rupert Goold or for anyone?  Are you aware that the Donmar is probably the best theatre in the world right now? Do you think it's been small for either Mendes or Grandage?.....(I would even dare to say that the National has been smaller for Hytner....)
In my opinion, the best out there are Goold and Norris (I admit I also have a assion for Deborah Warner but I cannot see her for the Donmar). I also love Daniel Evans as an actor, but maybe he's not tested enough as director...same thing probably with Sam West.
Another one I think could do a very good job is David leveaux...cnnected to the Donmar since Mendes, I've loved everything he's done there (last one, The late middle classes, was wonderful...as it was his recent Arcadia in the West End)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users